• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wales 0 - 3 ENGLAND

Who would you pick, and what result?

• Jordan Pickford

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Kieran Trippier

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Harry Maguire

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • John Stones

• Luke Shaw

• Jude Bellingham

• Declan Rice

• Mason Mount

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Bakayo Saka

• Raheem Sterling

• Harry Kane

• Nick Pope

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aaron Ramsdale

• Trent Alexander-Arnold

• Conor Coady

• Eric Dier

• Kyle Walker

• Ben White

• Conor Gallagher

• Jordan Henderson

• Kalvin Phillips

• Phil Foden

• Jack Grealish

• James Maddison

• Marcus Rashford

• Callum Wilson

• ————————

• Win

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw

• Lose

• Total voters
FWIW, For the attacking talent Southgate has at his disposal i dont think he has the faith in them to go out a score goals on a regular basis, Grealish and Foden play in what is arguably the best club side in the world at present ,yet cannot get a game in the England side,just cameos of the bench. Englands biggest weakness ( apart from Southgate ) is there defence (CDs) , myself i would rather thye played like they did against Iran even though they allowed Iran to score twice (1 a rather dubious penalty) they themselves scored 6, they played with attacking purpose ,not all that fiddle faddle passing from side to side crap.Allow the team to play good attractive attacking football to take it up to there opponents.

It was said earlier I think it was southgates plan not to lose. Judging by his post match talk I'd say it went to plan. Top of the table virtually through to next round, not a bad place to be in. I'm sure the welsh would like to swap places with us. Speaking of which I think we will absolutely batter them on Tuesday.

Not suggesting England will win the World Cup this time, although who knows, but I remember in 1966 the opening game was a tedious 0-0 draw with Uruguay in the group stages which had everyone moaning and the other two group matches against France and Mexico were no great shakes either.

It was a crap performance but unless we lose by 4 goals to Wales (which would be a colossal **** up) then we're already through, I'm reasonably sure based on his post match interview that Southgate told them to not take any risks to protect the draw that would see us through.
I understand tactics come in to this but the USA were the better team because they wanted it more and came close to scoring several times.

If that was Southgate's tactics then why not see them off and rest most of the team against Wales having already secured a place in the next round 🤷 now they are under pressure and cannot afford any kind of slip up against Wales.

When you look back at England's performances since the Euro's final I think it's more reasonable to say last night is the norm and last Monday was the exception.

My biggest worry is GS in-ability to change things for the good(during the game),especially against the top teams .
We should still get out of our group.But even against(maybe) Senegal...if we go a goal down i will be worried

Didn’t realise the World Cup was won after second game, the way posters are reacting to a draw against a useful USA team , who on another day could have won
Happy with 4 points no long term injuries and players like Maddison coming back to match fitness
Grealish, Foden, Maddison not a bad three players to call on if needed and Henderson under rated player who’s old head will steady things in midfield, when all around the forums others are losing theirs

Had we won the game the Welsh might have lent on us to do them a bit of a favour, no chance of that now!

Last night summed up Southgate's shortcomings as a manager - too cautious, too loyal to his favourites like Mount and Sterling, and doesn't make substitutions that impact the game. He's got Foden, who's been one of the best attacking players in Europe this season, on the bench and he brings on bl**dy Henderson. He was clearly more concerned about not losing than winning, but if we'd won we would've been pretty much guaranteed top spot and he could've rotated against Wales. Now we're under a bit of pressure and you know Wales will be up for it even if their hopes of qualification are all but over.

Incidentally, credit to Maguire who I thought was our best player. Headed absolutely everything away. He's had a lot of stick but showed why he's still in the team.

Japan proved today why you dont go out and play for a draw , serves then right

Last night summed up Southgate's shortcomings as a manager - too cautious, too loyal to his favourites like Mount and Sterling, and doesn't make substitutions that impact the game. He's got Foden, who's been one of the best attacking players in Europe this season, on the bench and he brings on bl**dy Henderson. He was clearly more concerned about not losing than winning, but if we'd won we would've been pretty much guaranteed top spot and he could've rotated against Wales. Now we're under a bit of pressure and you know Wales will be up for it even if their hopes of qualification are all but over.

Incidentally, credit to Maguire who I thought was our best player. Headed absolutely everything away. He's had a lot of stick but showed why he's still in the team.
Spot on. Glad to know someone else cant see what Mount does to warrent a place. Sterling also,

Pretty sure we will see more attacking football against Wales with possibly a few changes. Kane rested maybe, he doesn’t look like he’s fit.

I thought we might as well roll along with England each game and use the other general WC thread to discuss other teams / games and anything non-England…

So, the poll has been reset - who would you pick and in what formation for the crunch game with Wales. A win and a good performance is needed!

For those supporting Wales, who would you pick to get the result Wales need?

Will England or Wales win?

I think Southgate will go back to 5 at the back. Walker as third centre back. Maybe Trent in for Trippier. Henderson will probably come in for Bellingham. Rashford for Saka maybe. Personally would give Kane a rest wood like to see a front three of Freakish Foden and Wilson.

Back