• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England 1-1 USA

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Ok time for your reports and ratings.

I thought is was a very lacklustre performance by England first game or not..To me far to many people thought the ball was a hot potato and did not want it enough. At times even at throw ins players did not move or show any interest in wanting the ball. It seemed like let somebody else have it and try rather than I want it. The constant kicking the ball through the air instead of passing to one of our own showed to me we had very little idea against an average USA team Donovan aside who looked very good.

Most times when players got to the byline the cross was over the heads of the forwards as they didn't look up before crossing. To many players for me just did not get involved. We need to up our game 100% if we are to go anywhere in this tournament.

4/10..Green..ok it was a mistake for their goal but he should not be first choice and the spill he made in the Mexico friendly showed his poor handling without that error last night.

5/10 Cole...ok at times but seemed as if his mind was elsewhere ( I wonder why) and not the Cole we are used to seeing.

5/10 King..Ok until the injury..I wonder if he will be back.

6/10 Terry...Looked assured most of the game and read it well.

6/10 Johnson...had an ok game,looked good going forward but is still a worry at left back ..but we do not have anybody else.

4/10..Milner..Did nothing whilst he was on and was withdrawn for his own safety.

5/10 Lampard..was he on the pitch during the first half? Picked it up in the 2nd period and showed that he can play when he can be arsed.

8/10 Gerrard..My man of the match and led like a captain..great goal and defended well.

5/10 Lennon.....terrorises forwards each week in the Prem.. did ok but often runs himself in positions he has no chance of getting out of..crossing awful.

7/10 Heskey had a great game and ran Gerrard close for MOTM..he is an old fashioned centre forward and a good foil for Rooney , however we looked to him to much for chances and ended up pumping everything up in the air in hope that he would lay something off...great pass and awareness for Gerrard's goal.

6/10..Rooney..Looked a bit lost first half but came into it much more in the second and had some decent chances.

Subs....3/10..Carragher ..awful,over the hill, to slow and lucky not to be sent off...please do not play him again.

4/10..SWP..ok game, did not do much and I would of prefered to have seen Joe Cole.

...no score for Crouch he wasn't on long enough to judge.

Over to you guys :)

I reckon your about right on everything there john except that johnson is our only right back not left back. He has to play hart an dawson an j.cole for the next match. very disappointed with that display

I reckon your about right on everything there john except that johnson is our only right back not left back. He has to play hart an dawson an j.cole for the next match. very disappointed with that display

Ah you spotted my deliberate mistake Carl..here have a Banana.;)

Green - 4
Johnson - 6
JT - 6
King - 6 / Carragher - 5
A Cole - 7
Lennon - 6
Gerrard - 8
Lampard - 6
Milner - 5 / SWP - 5
Heskey - 8
Rooney - 5

I actually thought we played fairly well, one of our best performances for some time. We were the better team, particularly in the 2nd half and were just let down by one goalkeeping howler and a couple of poor finishes. We put a lot of pressure on the US towards the end but they were resilient. Obviously Green will take the blame for a very basic error but Capello should also take some stick for choosing both Milner AND Wright-Phillips (never a left-winger) ahead of Joe Cole, which was very bemusing since he played 90 mins against that South African team and was one of our best players against Japan. Let's not be too negative though, in theory that should be our hardest group game and if we win the other 2 we should finish top of the group. I think there are plenty of positives to take. Ratings:

Green 4 - I don't think he's Engand's best goalkeeper. Dempsey's shot was the most basic save, can't blame the ball as he's had plenty of time to practice with it. And I think the pundits overreacted to his save in the 2nd half, it wasn't that good in fact the ball almost went in and we would've been talking about 2 mistakes. Fair play to him for coming out and doing an interview afterwards though and saying that he's just got to accept it and move on.

Johnson 8 - Excellent, having him in the side is like having two right-wingers sometimes. Got forward lots and put some excellent crosses in. Almost scored straight after the US goal with a superb run and cut inside. Defensively sound too.

King 5 - Did OK until his injury curse struck again.

Terry 7 - Solid

A. Cole 6 - Didn't get forward as much as he likes to because of Donovan's threat but coped fairly well.

Lennon 6 - Looked dangerous when he got on the ball and ran at his full-back but didn't do it enough. We should've concentrated our play more down the right side. Also should've gone for glory himself when he was through on goal rather than driving it across the box.

Lampard 5 - Quiet compared to Gerrard, kept it simple and tidy in the middle. Didn't get as forward as much as he normally does and set-pieces weren't great.

Gerrard 8 - MOTM. Captain's performance. Looked really up for it, got forward a lot but also did some great tackles and defensive work. Showed great composure for the goal too. More of the same please Stevey. Only criticism that you could say would be for the US goal.

Milner 5 - Did nothing except get a stupid booking for a couple of nasty tackles before being taken off. Shame.

Rooney 6 - Disappointing, didn't really get into the game until the latter stages when we were pressing. Marked very closely by the Americans and didn't get a lot of service. Kept his temper in check.

Heskey 7 - Superb as a targetman against two big American centre-backs, won everything in the air, lovely assist for the goal and linked the play all night. But as a striker you just have to score chances like that.

Subs:
Carragher 6 - Fairly solid although struggled with Altidore's pace a couple of times. There isn't a lot of pace between him and Terry.

Wright-Phillips 4 - Poor. Shouldn't have come on. Lost the ball far too often and can't remember him putting one good ball in. Wasted a good chance too.

Roll on Algeria!

Green 4 - Awful error for the goal but he doesn't need me to tell him that as he'll never live it down. I'm not quite sure why everyone was raving about the save he made in the second half, yes it was a good save but he shouldn't be showing that much of his near post.

A. Cole 5 - Looked sluggish and almost caught in two minds in what to do a lot.

King 6 - Solid enough until HT, sadly I doubt he'll be back.

Terry 6 - Solid and unspectacular.

Johnson 5 - One decent run but Aaron Lennon needs to go and introduce himself to him, numerous times he was in acres of space and Johnson ignored him.

Milner 4 - Surprise starter for me, nothing of note before being taken off.

Lampard 5 - Slow first half, better in the second. Need to see a lot more of him.

Gerrard 9 - MOM. Like a man possessed, great finish and was superb in getting back and helping the defense.

Lennon 6 - Needs to drive into the ball more, on the occasion he did his end product was poor.

Heskey 7 - Now, I've been one of his critics but credit were it's due. Nice touch into Gerrard and was winning headers all game long. But he should have scored and needs to get himself onside.

Rooney 6 - One decent chance in the second half, other than that he looked pretty lost.

Subs.

Carragher 3 - Awful, just awful. Extremely lucky to stay on the pitch and he always looked clumsy.

SWP 4 - Again, nothing really of note, would much prefer to see Joe Cole.

Crouch N/A - Wasn't on long enough.

Robert Green 4 I, personally, think he is our third best keeper and made an awful mistake. Even the save which everyone seems to think made up for it wasn't great, straight at him and all he could do was palm it onto the post. Hopefully see David James or Joe Hart against Algeria
Glen Johnson 6 Didn't really have the chance to get forward and did his job well defensively
John Terry 6 Solid at the back and didn't let much past him
Ledley King 5 Proved the doubters right by picking up yet another injury but was sound until then
Ashley Cole 5 Similar to Johnson, failed to threaten going forward and didn't do a lot defensively
Aaron Lennon 6 Used his pace to threaten at times but often lacked the final ball or just ended up going nowhere, similar to Walcott
Steven Gerrard 8 MOTM Passionate and worked hard, got stuck in and chased down almost every ball, some poor passes towards the end but fought harder than anyone else and deserved his goal
Frank Lampard 5 Wasted possession with long range shots and poor passing, qas quiet next to Gerrard and didn't seem too up for it
James Milner 2 Obviously wasn't well enough to play and shouldn't have started, did nothing apart from get booked
Emile Heskey 7 Held the ball up well to play others in, as he did for the goal, but couldn't score in a brothel, seems to think that goalkeepers will move out of the way at the ball if he shoots straight at them and tired quickly
Wayne Rooney 6 Only showed glimpses of his talent and class and was pretty much marked out of the game by the Americans
Subs
Shaun Wright-Phillips 6 Lacked an end product and should have scored when put in by Rooney, used his skill and pace to threaten but didn't create as many chances as maybe he should have
Jamie Carragher 6 Looked a bit shaky at times and clearly lacked pace but did well to come in and help steady the back four and was solid when needed
Peter Crouch 6 Wasn't on for long enough to really make an impact

Agree with those ratings. Rooney needs to stop dropping so deep, at one minute he was coming behind Gerrard and Lampard to pick up the ball. Heskey will always try to play on the last defender and try to get onto the edge of the 6 yard box when the ball is played in, which Rooney has done extremely well this season, and there was one point where Lennon beat his man, pulled it back, but both Rooney and Heskey had run to the 6 yard box and neither Gerrard or Lampard made the run to the penalty spot that they would usually do for their clubs without thinking.

Will be interesting to see if he sticks with Green for the Algeria game.

It was like watching the England under Sven. Slow ponderous, no end product from our fast wingers. Its no wonder Beckham won so many caps, none of the other wide players can pick out a man in the box.
The big worry now is JT/Carragher central defensive partneship, as slow as snails the pair of them, I fear even the Algerians will have a lot of threat against them. After all, a mediocre striker like Altidore made a mug of them at times.
Poor decision by Capello to pick Green and Milner. Milner was picked to supposedly contain the threat of Donovan- WTF! This is England, we should be taking the game to them, not worried about them. Really negative and very Sven like. Poor decision to not put Joe Cole on for Milner too, SWP no end product, no composure in front of goal.
Heskey played well but youve got to put chances away, Lamps and Rooney very quiet. Rooney looks a shadow of the player of 6 months ago- tired, injured, frustrated?
I hope Barry coming back will help, but for me Joe Cole HAS to play on Friday, be it on the left or just behind Wazza.
All in all not great, the goalkeeping issue will stop us getting even to the semis I think. How can you go into a tournament not knowing your first choice goalie? This was a poor performance against a USA team who wouldve been buried 3 or 4 by Brazil or Argentina.

It was like watching the England under Sven. Slow ponderous, no end product from our fast wingers. Its no wonder Beckham won so many caps, none of the other wide players can pick out a man in the box.
The big worry now is JT/Carragher central defensive partneship, as slow as snails the pair of them, I fear even the Algerians will have a lot of threat against them. After all, a mediocre striker like Altidore made a mug of them at times.
Poor decision by Capello to pick Green and Milner. Milner was picked to supposedly contain the threat of Donovan- WTF! This is England, we should be taking the game to them, not worried about them. Really negative and very Sven like. Poor decision to not put Joe Cole on for Milner too, SWP no end product, no composure in front of goal.
Heskey played well but youve got to put chances away, Lamps and Rooney very quiet. Rooney looks a shadow of the player of 6 months ago- tired, injured, frustrated?
I hope Barry coming back will help, but for me Joe Cole HAS to play on Friday, be it on the left or just behind Wazza.
All in all not great, the goalkeeping issue will stop us getting even to the semis I think. How can you go into a tournament not knowing your first choice goalie? This was a poor performance against a USA team who wouldve been buried 3 or 4 by Brazil or Argentina.

The Sven era was hardly one of failure , he was the manager with the best run of wins in all games . success wise just behind Bobby Robson and obviously Sir Alf.

The Sven era was hardly one of failure , he was the manager with the best run of wins in all games . success wise just behind Bobby Robson and obviously Sir Alf.

As there are only two things an international team can win its hard to call any manager successful except Sir Alf. Harsh but fair.

Result was down to selection in my opinion. Unless there was a good reason for him not to (and I've not been near much tv apart from the match in the last few days) then Joe Cole should have started in place of Lennon. He should certainly have come on when Milner was subbed - what is the obsession with SWP, does Ian Wright have some hold over England managers that we know nothing about?!

Gerrard had an excellent game, but even he was guilty of some wayward passing at times. Heskey did everything except stick the ball in the net (as we probably could have predicted); Lampard; Johnson and Terry all had good enough games.

Milner shouldn't have started, I wasn't too upset at Rob Green though. Come on, it was one stupid mistake, trouble is when you're a GK then it's so much more noticeable. Shwarzer made a bit of a **** up yesterday against the Germans and I bet he's not getting half the villification Green has had. He has to play next game, but the defence has to do better, and the forwards have to take their chances (it all sounds so familiar!).

Result was down to selection in my opinion. Unless there was a good reason for him not to (and I've not been near much tv apart from the match in the last few days) then Joe Cole should have started in place of Lennon. He should certainly have come on when Milner was subbed - what is the obsession with SWP, does Ian Wright have some hold over England managers that we know nothing about?!

Gerrard had an excellent game, but even he was guilty of some wayward passing at times. Heskey did everything except stick the ball in the net (as we probably could have predicted); Lampard; Johnson and Terry all had good enough games.

Milner shouldn't have started, I wasn't too upset at Rob Green though. Come on, it was one stupid mistake, trouble is when you're a GK then it's so much more noticeable. Shwarzer made a bit of a **** up yesterday against the Germans and I bet he's not getting half the villification Green has had. He has to play next game, but the defence has to do better, and the forwards have to take their chances (it all sounds so familiar!).

So if Joe Cole should have started instead of Lennon and Milner shouldn't have played and SWP shouldn't have played you are a player short...? I think Lennon played OK. The ball was never out to him quick enough and if Heskey would have taken his chance we would all be saying how good the ball from Lennon was to set him free, but I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

When SWP come on I said to my mates the reason Fabio has done it is because he is far too conservative! The reason he came on was because he can run and help Ashley Cole out against Landon Donovan. Now correct me if I'm wrong but Ashley Cole is always reguarded as one of the best left backs in the World so why are we so worried about a player that didn't even set the Premier League alight when he came on loan. He was OK but nothing special. Yet because he is their STAR player we single him out and double up.

Man for Man we are better than most teams at this World Cup but I feel we give teams too much respect and we need to be more confident and more ruthless.

I kind of agree with you about Rob Green, but as the stats suggest he was the most error prone goal keeper in the Premier League last year and his own errors led to more goals being scored against him than any other player (outfield included)(OPTA stats) so it suggests it is not just a one off.

The biggest scare for me though was how poor Jamie Carragher looked when he came on. Now I'm not a big fan of John Terry, but at no point in that game did he look stetched, out paced or panicked against a side no where near his own ability. Carragher looked slow, clumsy and at full stretch from start to finish. Bought into the squad as a back up full back he now appears to be the next best option in central defense, which is very worrying!

Still we didn't lose and I can only see us improving if we move to 4-5-1 with Gerrard and Lampard supporting Rooney through the middle and start getting the ball out wide quicker and let Lennon have a run at his man, and get Joe Cole on the left. Centre back does look worrying now though!

Green - 4
Johnson - 6
JT - 6
King - 6 / Carragher - 5
A Cole - 7
Lennon - 6
Gerrard - 8
Lampard - 6
Milner - 5 / SWP - 5
Heskey - 8
Rooney - 5

Spot on.

First game is always tentative, plus at high altitude it was bound to be lethargic. Dawson & J Cole (for SWP) to start please.

Thought big Emile was superb, granted he should have scored but he played v well and his lay off for Gerrard's goal was perfect.

As for goalkeeper i don't know why we start Green, he always looks nervous for England, his save in the 2nd half wasn't all that, soft hands - it should never have gone on to hit the post. Joe Hart looks comfortable & at home, James has the experience either of those please.

So if Joe Cole should have started instead of Lennon and Milner shouldn't have played and SWP shouldn't have played you are a player short...? I think Lennon played OK. The ball was never out to him quick enough and if Heskey would have taken his chance we would all be saying how good the ball from Lennon was to set him free, but I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Milner shouldn't have started because he has missed loads of training through illness quite close to the match, that's why he shouldn't have played. If Capello wanted Milner to play for a reason then Joe Cole should have played in place of Lennon - and vice versa really. Lennon had about 3 decent crosses/passes all night which is not good enough for a specialist winger. Whichever way you look at it, Joe Cole should've started. He'd have got forward in support of the forwards and been an option for when Rooney was getting marked closely - why didn't we exploit this?

Back