• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England 1-2 Netherlands

Surely the whole point of last night was to give other players a chance to impress (or not) and get onto the plane (Milner, Walcott, Sturridge, Rose, Drinkwater etc) and also ensure we have good options when someone (inevitably) gets injured during the run up to the Euros. Plus Roy has to appease the clubs by ensuring important players aren't overplayed where needs be.

We probably need another thread but I'd be interested to see people's squad selections in light of the friendlies.

Last night I thought we saw the best and worst from Lallana, Walker showed what he often shows, but then got caught out. Rose had a very poor game which was a shame and leaves us suspect at LB. We still don't know who will partner Smalling at CB. Also we haven't nailed our CM at all.

I don't think Roy went about the friendlies in the wrong way at all. All his selections were understandable and justified.

Team to start against Russia:

Hart(?)
Walker(?) ??? Smalling Clyne(?)
Dier(?) Henderson
Alli
Vardy Kane Welbeck(?)

Milner has had chance after chance,he offers nothing.
Sturridge amazed me that he was starting,injury prone and as rusty as a rusty thing.
Llalana played both games yet he offered very little

When Rooney returns(doesn't deserve his place)he will no doubt be Roy's first name on the team sheet,probably paired with either Sturridge or Welbeck in some daft formation.

Roy once again got it completely wrong,the man is an old fool,utterly clueless.

"An old fool, utterly clueless" who has somehow managed to make a living in football (across several different countries) his entire life and who managed a team to beat the world champions away on Saturday night.

You have minimal credibility on here anyway and even less when you post drivel like that.

Plan for these two games would have been for Hodgson to have a better idea of who should make both the starting XI in France and indeed the final 23. He got the opportunity to have a decent look at most of his squad and while the defeat last night was definitely a disappointment I'm seeing the last five days as a positive overall.

"An old fool, utterly clueless" who has somehow managed to make a living in football (across several different countries) his entire life and who managed a team to beat the world champions away on Saturday night.

You have minimal credibility on here anyway and even less when you post drivel like that.

Plan for these two games would have been for Hodgson to have a better idea of who should make both the starting XI in France and indeed the final 23. He got the opportunity to have a decent look at most of his squad and while the defeat last night was definitely a disappointment I'm seeing the last five days as a positive overall.

Roy has done nothing in this country,been sacked time and time again apart from Fulham.
Credibility doesn't come into it,I just post stuff and it's up to the reader,either way I don't lose sleep.

The only players he had to look at was Stones,Vardy,Drinks,Rose,Alli,Clyne and Dier....Roy had seen the likes of Milner Sturridge Welbeck plenty of times.

Being fair,

Roy has had plenty of time to mould his team with tinkering along the way,he stumbled across an exciting team against Germany yet binned it.

The only players he had to look at was Stones,Vardy,Drinks,Rose,Alli,Clyne and Dier....Roy had seen the likes of Milner Sturridge Welbeck plenty of times.

And Forster. Sturridge hasn't played an international since 2014 due to injury so giving him a game seems sensible. Welbeck too has been out injured a lot.

Also, don't forget that he may well be making promises to club managers (e.g. I'll play your lad for 90 mins on Saturday but will rest him Tuesday)

Milner, granted, doesn't do much more these days than guarantee a solid 6/10 performance

Surely the whole point of last night was to give other players a chance to impress (or not) and get onto the plane (Milner, Walcott, Sturridge, Rose, Drinkwater etc) and also ensure we have good options when someone (inevitably) gets injured during the run up to the Euros. Plus Roy has to appease the clubs by ensuring important players aren't overplayed where needs be.

We probably need another thread but I'd be interested to see people's squad selections in light of the friendlies.

Last night I thought we saw the best and worst from Lallana, Walker showed what he often shows, but then got caught out. Rose had a very poor game which was a shame and leaves us suspect at LB. We still don't know who will partner Smalling at CB. Also we haven't nailed our CM at all.

I don't think Roy went about the friendlies in the wrong way at all. All his selections were understandable and justified.

Team to start against Russia:

Hart(?)
Walker(?) ??? Smalling Clyne(?)
Dier(?) Henderson
Alli
Vardy Kane Welbeck(?)

For me Walker and Clyne are both very similar, good going forward but suspect in defence but there is a lack of right backs so both have to go. I think Stones should start as he showed how good he can be last night with a couple of sublime balls though he does make mistakes, I feel it is a risk worth taking.

Not sure you need both Henderson and Dier in the starting eleven, maybe Barkley in there or Wilshire if he is fit. The only other change I would go for is Sterling for Welbeck.

My starting eleven would be:

Hart (age 28)
Clyne(24) Stones (21) Smalling (26) Shaw (If fit 20)
Dier (22)
Wilshire (24) Alli (19)
Vardy (29) Kane (22) Sterling (21)

The reason I put the ages down was to show just how young the team is, maybe this tournament will be a couple of years too early but I say get them experienced now ready for the World cup.

And Forster. Sturridge hasn't played an international since 2014 due to injury so giving him a game seems sensible. Welbeck too has been out injured a lot.

Also, don't forget that he may well be making promises to club managers (e.g. I'll play your lad for 90 mins on Saturday but will rest him Tuesday)

Milner, granted, doesn't do much more these days than guarantee a solid 6/10 performance

Roy could have tried Deeney or even gave Defoe a run out ,both have scored far more than Sturridge and Welbeck whilst playing for struggling clubs.

He will probably take Rooney Welbeck Sturridge Vardy and Kane...3 of those simply don't deserve their place in the squad.

Considering the match is meant to be a sell out why are there so many empty seats in the posh peoples seats at the middle front of the stand?

And yes, it was a lovely goal.

Just noticed that there are loads of empties up in the upper tiers, so I probably misheard the sell-out bit. It's still a disgrace that the nobby ones don't watch the game.

Which bits are you talking about? My brother (for example) has a Club Wembley seat but doesn't attend all matches. If he isn't attending his seat is re-sold, assuming someone wants it. If not, it stays unsold, just like any other part of the ground.

Roy could have tried Deeney or even gave Defoe a run out ,both have scored far more than Sturridge and Welbeck whilst playing for struggling clubs.

He will probably take Rooney Welbeck Sturridge Vardy and Kane...3 of those simply don't deserve their place in the squad.

Deeney and Defoe have both scored more goals than Welbeck this season. Absolutely correct.

Although it would probably be fair to point out here that Welbeck, due to injury, has only played five league games this season. And scored three goals. Similarly, Sturridge has played only seven games. And scored four.

I'm sure Hodgson will select the five strikers you mention and I make him exactly right.

Deeney and Defoe have both scored more goals than Welbeck this season. Absolutely correct.

Although it would probably be fair to point out here that Welbeck, due to injury, has only played five league games this season. And scored three goals. Similarly, Sturridge has played only seven games. And scored four.

I'm sure Hodgson will select the five strikers you mention and I make him exactly right.

plus Welbeck has 14 goals in 34 caps for England (11 from 20 competitive games). His record is excellent seeing as he's often out wide.

plus Welbeck has 14 goals in 34 caps for England (11 from 20 competitive games). His record is excellent seeing as he's often out wide.

Yes of course,Roy know's what he can do,so why not try others?

He will probably play Rooney from the off,if he includes Welbeck in the opener,where can he put the current goal machines Kane and Vardy?

To give Welbeck a chance to get used to playing with the guys he'll be lining up with in France? I can't imagine he's played alongside Harry Kane all that often.

He will probably play Rooney from the off,if he includes Welbeck in the opener,where can he put the current goal machines Kane and Vardy?
He did try others, which is what you've been criticising Roy for:hilarious:

Over the past two games the following played in the front three:
Welbeck, Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Alli, Barkley, Walcott, Lallana

It's not just a matter of playing random players, but it's about giving them time alongside their likely teammates if they are going to play, which is why we set up as:

Lallana, Kane, Welbeck
Alli

Barkley, Kane, Vardy
Alli

Lallana, Sturridge, Vardy
Barkley

Lallana, Vardy, Walcott
Barkley

Vardy, Kane, Walcott
Barkley

Vardy, Kane, Walcott
Alli

To me that looks like a pretty systematic and sensible rotation to get everyone some time in a relatively decent attack.

He did try others, which is what you've been criticising Roy for:hilarious:

Over the past two games the following played in the front three:
Welbeck, Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Alli, Barkley, Walcott, Lallana

It's not just a matter of playing random players, but it's about giving them time alongside their likely teammates if they are going to play, which is why we set up as:

Lallana, Kane, Welbeck
Alli

Barkley, Kane, Vardy
Alli

Lallana, Sturridge, Vardy
Barkley

Lallana, Vardy, Walcott
Barkley

Vardy, Kane, Walcott
Barkley

Vardy, Kane, Walcott
Alli

To me that looks like a pretty systematic and sensible rotation to get everyone some time in a relatively decent attack.

I meant as in forwards!

Deeney could have played last night ,even for the last 30 or so,but Roy cannot shake off the old guard completely.

I meant as in forwards!

Deeney could have played last night ,even for the last 30 or so,but Roy cannot shake off the old guard completely.

10 goals this season (34 appearances), 5 of which were penalties. No thanks.

Who had more passion for England (and more ability) than anyone in England's current midfield.

Passion doesn't necessarily mean you're good though! I was never a fan of Gerrard's.

I was disappointed in the team selection last night, I thought the inclusion of Sturridge was wrong, can't abide Milner and it scares the life out of me that the defence centres around Chris Smalling. We used to be known for producing a series of quality, hard nosed central defenders, not sure where it's all gone wrong.

Back