• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England Euro 2020(1) squad..

We're only bringing 2 out and out strikers (although Rashford used to play there before converting to a winger) so I would guess we'll be playing 4-3-3 or 3-4-3, probably something like this:

Pickford

Walker - Maguire - Stones
Tripper - Henderson - Rice/Bellingham - Chilwell
Sancho - Kane - Sterling/Foden

Why Henderson? Hasn’t played since February and brings nothing to any England side.….pointless. Ward-Prowse a better
option imo.

Little bit lopsided on the right backs, and why include someone who hasn't played since February?

Hope to be proved wrong when they come home with some silverware.

Would have had Lingard and or Ward Prowse in there. Southgate has now said Lingard will start the upcoming friendly whilst not being in the squad which is a bit weird.

No big surprises except there being four right-backs. I would've kept Ward-Prowse in instead of either Walker or James, for his set-piece ability if nothing else. Best set piece taker we've had since Beckham, a very underrated consistent player, and we do look a bit light on defensive central midfielders.

I really don't know what the best formation is for England, we have so much attacking talent. My line-up for the first game would probably be something like this:

Pickford
Trippier - Stones - Maguire - Chilwell
Henderson (if fit, Bellingham if not) - Rice
Sancho - Foden - Sterling
Kane

Yep a good squad.I think we will get out of the(our) group, with a bit of luck,but then im not sure.

It’ll be 3 at the back for sure, we spent so long preparing in that formation no way he’ll go back now and the amount of defenders proves that. First game we simply can’t afford to lose and Southgate has a core group he trusts so I don’t foresee anything wildly different from the status quo. First line up will look something like this

Pickford
James Walker Maguire Stones Chillwell
Henderson if fit(Phillips) Rice
Sterling Kane Mount

There will be variation in that back line. He likes trippier, chillwell and shaw are interchangeable and could even see Shaw in the left of the three and stones on the other side. Think he’ll use Walker and he’s done it before and his pace gets us out of trouble particularly with Maguires pace. The rest is pretty much nailed on for me.
I think Grealish and Foden are good players but Mount is a coaches favourite for a reason and Sterling is trusted. Thought Grealish got massively overhyped in a poor game against Austria tonight, held on to the ball too long and gave the ball away a lot.
Let’s see what happens but hope we don’t disgrace ourselves in the Euros!

Not a chance he’ll drop Kane, Sterling, Henderson, Pickford etc. .. I’d like to have seen Ings used and for me, based on this season, Foden, Mount and Grealish are in the team. How you play all 3 together, well not a bad problem to have. Watching some of the game last night I don’t expect many surprises come the Euros.

I reckon TAA will be out so Lingard may still get a call up??

Ward-Prowse should be recalled instead of Lingard, for me, especially with the doubts over Henderson's fitness. And if TAA is out, who takes the set pieces? We have a lot of wingers/attacking midfielders already and Lingard faded towards the end of the season.

I know it wasn't a full first team eleven playing last night v Austria - but that team wasn't anywhere near good enough to win the Euro's.

Personally I think we will struggle- too many injury concerns, a long hard season with a lot of teams playing 2/3 times a week and teams going all the way in Europe. An England manager normally has a shelf life of 3-4 years so I dont think Southgate necesarrily will be a long term manager (although lack of viable alternatives).

what happened to Nicky Pope i noticed he played in a few internationals for England.

He's injured unfortunately, if he was fit I'd have started him over Pickford.
Personally I wouldn't. Whilst Pope is the better shot stopper, he really isn't very good with the ball at his feet and as we saw against Austria, Pickford actually played some of the best passes of the game.

Last edited:
Back