• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England in Pakistan

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
We are struggling in the opening tour match against the Patron's XI with only Marcus Trescothick holding things together. A bit of a recovery from the 60-6 we were though.

Scorecard

Interesting that the deceased former President of the Palestinian Liberation Organsiationand latterly Palestinian Authority, has picked up three wickets.

Top effort from Banger. As for Matt Prior... I thought he was a batter? How come he's so low down the order?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 31 2005,11:26)]Top effort from Banger.  As for Matt Prior... I thought he was a batter?  How come he's so low down the order?

rock.gif
14 players are named for both sides, of which only 11 can play. I guess with us in bother it was decided to bat Prior to get some runs and I guess, therefore, a bowler has been sacrificed.

Talking of sacrifices - that is post #666 on Hallowe'en.
ghostface.gif
ghostface.gif
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Oct. 31 2005,11:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 31 2005,11:26)]Top effort from Banger.  As for Matt Prior... I thought he was a batter?  How come he's so low down the order?

rock.gif
14 players are named for both sides, of which only 11 can play. I guess with us in bother it was decided to bat Prior to get some runs and I guess, therefore, a bowler has been sacrificed.

Talking of sacrifices - that is post #666 on Hallowe'en.
ghostface.gif

ghostface.gif

ghostface.gif
Fair enough... hardly what you'd call match practice under normal match circumstances, though - bringing in Prior at number 10!

oops.gif

Still, cracking effort by Prior - good to see him making a very decent bid for selection. He doesn't normally bat at number 4 does he, by any chance?!

wink.gif

Loudon is not a bad bloke to have at eleven either. I think the idea is, is that they use all 14 players in the game. Therefore Anderson, Plunkett & Hoggard won't be asked to bat, but will be in the field in place of Loudon, Prior and one other. It has been said that Prior will share the gloves with Jones.

Great effort by Trescothick, he does like the sub-continent, and well done Matt Prior to come in at 10, when he would normally bat around 4 for his club is terrific.

Great knock by Tresco, but another England tour looks like suffering from the fact that the players are undercooked. They need more warm-up time to adjust to playing in Pakistan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 31 2005,13:43)]Great knock by Tresco, but another England tour looks like suffering from the fact that the players are undercooked. They need more warm-up time to adjust to playing in Pakistan.
At least for this tour they get two warm up games. In South Africa last winter it was one, which we lost, but still managed to win the first test and then the series. By all accounts it is what the management and players ask for, but Harmison & Flintoff are yet to arrive on tour.

Personally I'd lose the one-day series and add an extra four day game to the front, but I suppose money dictates otherwise.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 31 2005,16:31)]Personally I'd lose the one-day series and add an extra four day game to the front, but I suppose money dictates otherwise.
Agree, but it won't happen as the one dayers are where the money is made. Surprisingly the test matches are sparsely attended in Pakistan.

Bit of a shocker with the bat today. 39-6.

The bowling appears OK, we reduced the Patron's XI to 150-9, but Anderson, Plunkett and Udal all took 3, when in probability only one will start. Hoggard and Giles the only two bowling certainties for the tests in the 14 were wicketless - Giles not even being able to bowl through illness.

Sounded like a belter.
Looks like Collingwood may have overtaken Bell. However it seems that only Trescothick was convincing.

Bell will come again as he is a good batsman.

Banger got 44% of all of England's runs. That's mildly concerning...

oops.gif

Anyhow, saw this on Cricinfo... what a great photo. What I wouldn't do to be a lottery winner that could follow the England side around all year... *sigh*

54896.jpg

Been contemplating doing it myself, even without a lottery win.

Slightly put off by the fact that Pakistan and India are notoriously tough places to visit and one of my best mates returned from a trip there two months ago in a only slightly better state than Best Mate. As a result South America has more lure for me this winter.

The other main drawback is the number of Southend games you'd miss, but that aside I could think of worse ways to spend your time.

Admittedly, I've not been to Pakistan since 1993 - I imagine it's changed a lot since then.  Loved it, though - a truly fascinating place, genuinely warm and interesting people, great food, stunning mountain scenery, some wonderful buildings (largely in Lahore, it must be said) and (oddly, for a Muslim country) better beer than India.

laugh.gif

India is becoming very accessible now, though.  I was last there a couple of years ago, and travelling around isn't too bad at all.  Passed by the cricket ground in Bangalore whilst we were there - a one-dayer there (alas, the subcontinental fans oddly don't "get" test cricket) would be superb.

As for intestinal issues... have to admit, the first time I went to the subcontinent I was sick as a dog... lost something like 4 stone.  Think it's the only time in my life I've ever been almost skinny...

laugh.gif

Since then, repeat visits to India have seen the constitution harden up no end - absolutely no problems last time I went!

smile.gif

Alas, however, I won't be going anywhere for a while (other than to see the folks at Xmas)... pennies need to be saved for my impending wedding & honeymoon.

oops.gif

Back