• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England in SL

BILLERICAY BLUE

Rose Tinted Brigade Member⭐⭐
Squad has been announced. No place for Morgan, Patel comes in for him, whilst Tredwell (!) comes in for Tremmers.

Might be a chance for Ravi to cement his place, alternatively they might push Prior up to 6, and play Patel or Bresnan at 7

Tredwell.....are they sure???

Surely Rashid is a better bet with both bat and ball.

Tredwell.....are they sure???

Surely Rashid is a better bet with both bat and ball.

Rashid seems to have completely fallen out of favour. The seem to prefer Borthwick as the up and coming leg spin option.

Good news for Ravi......if they are going with 6 batsmen he has to be the next one in line, and if so he should get a good run at ir at number 6.....

It seems like Patel is finally making the breakthrough, though of course conditions will always be a key factor in his selection .. as for Tredwell ? bah .. underwhelmed doesn't do it justice

Not sure if we really need 16 men for a 2 game tour.

As the men in possession, I expect Swann and Monty to both play which will leave the last spot between Bres and Bops.

There's an outside chance that they think Finn has to play, in which case Patel gets the no.6 spot.

Tredwell has surely been picked as a net bowler. Bairstow would probably have been a more useful pick as reserve keeper as he's a better sub-fielder than Davies, but I wouldn't be comfortable chucking him into a test if Prior got injured.

As it's such a short tour I suspect some of the cover is to get them some practice (if only in nets or on club grounds) in Asian conditions and so they can train and practice under the eyes of the coaching regime - particularly useful for Eatit Patel. Tredwell will cover swann in case he is injured between the first two tests.

I like the look of a 5 man attack with Bresnan, Broad and Swann at 7,8 and 9, but given our awful batting in UAE I can't see how we will want to weaken the batting to strengthen the bowling which has been pretty good. I know there could be some real flat tracks and high scores but I think going into the first test off the back of the 3 defeats we would take a high scoring draw and thus would want 6 batters and Prior at 7. If we draw the first test I can see us sticking with a similar policy for the second to secure a draw, perhaps replacing a couple of bowlers for fresher ones just for rotation.

Not sure if we really need 16 men for a 2 game tour.

As the men in possession, I expect Swann and Monty to both play which will leave the last spot between Bres and Bops.

There's an outside chance that they think Finn has to play, in which case Patel gets the no.6 spot.

Tredwell has surely been picked as a net bowler. Bairstow would probably have been a more useful pick as reserve keeper as he's a better sub-fielder than Davies, but I wouldn't be comfortable chucking him into a test if Prior got injured.

Right decision regarding Morgan, for me. I really hope they move Bell to 4, to be followed by Pietersen, Prior, Patel.

I wonder if the England selectors are beginning to slowly plan for a post Swann period with the inclusion of Patel. He offers more than Panesar in my book, providing he's willing to start towing the line.

PS, does anybody know anything about this young opener Joe Root that Bumble keeps raving about; apparently he's already got a 160 first class score under his belt at 21 years old.

Right decision regarding Morgan, for me. I really hope they move Bell to 4, to be followed by Pietersen, Prior, Patel.

I wonder if the England selectors are beginning to slowly plan for a post Swann period with the inclusion of Patel. He offers more than Panesar in my book, providing he's willing to start towing the line.

PS, does anybody know anything about this young opener Joe Root that Bumble keeps raving about; apparently he's already got a 160 first class score under his belt at 21 years old.

I don't see that Flower & Strauss will move from their 6 batsmen, Prior at 7 and the 4 bowlers. I amnot convinced that Patel is good enough to bat at 6. Therefore I think Ravi may get the gig at 6,at least he can bowl a few overs. Personally I would have liked to see Briggs ahead of Tredwell.

Joe Root is a young Yorkshire opener I think he did pretty well on the recent Lions tour of SL.

Last edited:
I don't think Patel is going to be a long term replacement for Swann....Patel isn't really a front line bowler even in first class cricket. He should be integral to the one day squad and could provide useful all round options as a 6 or 7, but I cant see him being our front line spinner....the likes of Briggs, Borthwick, Rashid (if he can regain what he had!) will be the next spinners....

Root is highly regarding, but I would expect James Taylor to be the first of that generation to break through into the test team....he has an exceptional record for someone so young....

I don't see that Flower & Strauss will move from their 6 batsmen, Orior at 7 and the 4 bowlers. I amnot convinced that Patel is good enough to bat at 6. Therefore I think Ravi may get the gig at 6,at least he can bowl a few overs. Personally I would have liked to see Briggs ahead of Tredwell.

Joe Root is a young Yorkshire opener I think he did pretty well on the recent Lions tour of SL.

You're probably right, but I think Prior is good enough to hold down 6. I like the look of Bresnan at 7 at home and on tours of Oz/Saffers/WI. Gives that extra seam option and with Broad at 8 Swann/Patel 9, it still provides a long order. Not convinced by Bopara at test level.

I'm going to the first two days at the Oval this summer, would love to see us line up;

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Bell
Pietersen
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn/Tremlett

Another vote for James Taylor here, captained (an admittedly poor) Leicester at the age of 21 last season and has now moved onto Nottinghamshire so i will be very interested to see how he takes to Division 1

Treadwell's wife works with me once in a while, She is a bloody moany bint who quite openly says most of the time she hopes he plays badly so he doesn't get called up for England.

Treadwell's wife works with me once in a while, She is a bloody moany bint who quite openly says most of the time she hopes he plays badly so he doesn't get called up for England.

there's nothing like family support .. and thats nothing like family support

Daft K*nt bint

Back