• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England in Sri Lanka and West Indies

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
The first time England have lined up without an Essex player since March 2006, although the star man today came through the Essex system.

:Clap:Ben Foakes

Hopefully the dream of a Stokes, Foakes, Woakes middle order is that little bit closer.

First Day Close, great knock by Ben Foakes

England 321 for 8

Jennings 46
Root 35
Buttler 38
Foakes 87 (Not Out)
S Curran 48
Rashid 35

A good recovery from 103-5

yes,poor start,maybe the wet pitch,but we pulled it back.
Foakes to get his 100 early,then have a bowl at them also on a damp pitch

The first time England have lined up without an Essex player since March 2006, although the star man today came through the Essex system.

:Clap:Ben Foakes

Hopefully the dream of a Stokes, Foakes, Woakes middle order is that little bit closer.
Very happy for Foakes, come a long way from Frinton CC. We play Frinton every year and they a cracking little club, lots of nods to Foakes in their clubhouse too with signed shirts and bats etc. Wouldn't surprise me if his bat or shirt from this innings ends up there.

Brilliant debut from Foakes which should guarantee his place for the next game. Arguably the best glove man in the country and clearly can hold a bat. The selectors need to stop fannying around with the keeper spot and come to a decision. Foakes wasn’t even selected for the tour for crying out loud.
I would make him our number one and let Buttler and Bairstow fight it out for a batting spot. Maybe a little harsh but this is international sport and you go with your best eleven and not the captains mates.

Very happy for Foakes, come a long way from Frinton CC. We play Frinton every year and they a cracking little club, lots of nods to Foakes in their clubhouse too with signed shirts and bats etc. Wouldn't surprise me if his bat or shirt from this innings ends up there.

Yep, nice club Frinton CC.

Very good standard as well, that East Anglian Premier League, so a good grounding for any young talent.

Top stuff. A lesson in how to construct a test innings. :Thumbs up:

Be interesting to see his keeping against the spinners today.

If it's above the standard of Bairstow's, then I think and hope he will be the way forward. Then Bairstow can play as a batsman, solving maybe even that 3 slot issue.

Interestingly, last night they were saying he had played a lot of club cricket in Sri Lanka and this has helped him play so well against spin.

Foakes is a better keeper than Bairstow but Bairstow is surely way too loose to bat 3?

I agree, but who else can or wants to. Better the devil you know, possibly.

Seems to be a poisoned chalice for anyone. That and an opening slot has been up for grabs for a couple of years now, at least.

Sri Lanka 203 All Out

Moeen 4-66
Rashid 2-30
Leach 2-41

England second innings 20-0
England lead Sri Lanka by 159 runs with 10 wickets remaining

Thought Leach bowled well in comeback and please for Ali

Nice lead of 139 and going along nicely 20-0 (Hope not famous last words)

The problem England have is there a loads of 5,6,7 bats. Add in to the current side the likes of Pope, Bairstow himself and Ali, if he doesn't bat at 3.

It's Hobson's choice. One of them has to bat at 3, to fit everyone in. In the last few months, Root and of late, Ali have batted there. Bairstow's main reason for batting lower is that he keeps wicket, as well, but if he didn't then he could be tried further up.

The only natural 3 we have on the fringes is Vince, but they are reluctant to persevere with him.

The problem England have is there a loads of 5,6,7 bats. Add in to the current side the likes of Pope, Bairstow himself and Ali, if he doesn't bat at 3.

It's Hobson's choice. One of them has to bat at 3, to fit everyone in. In the last few months, Root and of late, Ali have batted there. Bairstow's main reason for batting lower is that he keeps wicket, as well, but if he didn't then he could be tried further up.

The only natural 3 we have on the fringes is Vince, but they are reluctant to persevere with him.

I'd rather Denly than Vince as a 3 but I'm not sure he makes the strongest XI either.

Root's probably our best 3 (as well as our best opener and best 4). Maybe Root at 3 and Stokes who seems to have the tightest technique or the rest at 4.

Or maybe England should try Woakes or Curran there on the basis that we lose least with their batting (and bowling?) and if they can bat out 10 overs they'll have done a job?

Then you play a team of all rounders. If Ali is number one choice spinner then he plays. Stokes bats top five and is first change bowler, he also plays. Woakes, Buttler and Bairstow are lower middle order batsman as is Curran. They can’t all play.

Then you play a team of all rounders. If Ali is number one choice spinner then he plays. Stokes bats top five and is first change bowler, he also plays. Woakes, Buttler and Bairstow are lower middle order batsman as is Curran. They can’t all play.

I think Curran misses out in that situation. I don't think his bowling is as good as Woakes and Stokes, at least at this stage of his career. Seems harsh to drop him - for most of the 90s we were crying out for someone like him.

Back