• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England in Sri Lanka and West Indies

Bring back Goochie...wig and all.
A poor effort from our boys....who were going to win 3-0 WHITEWASH
A 2-1 series win!!!!!

Love to know why Rashid didn't get much time to bowl?

Can only assume injury ....

Rashid is a bowler for when you have runs on the board.

I know a lot was made about Broad being left out but just as puzzling was the omission of the now fit again Woakes. Curran's not good enough to play as a batsman and his bowling is far inferior to Woakes'.

Olly Stone out of tour, wondering whether Porter will get his chance. Would have liked to have seen Stone bowl, rare to have an England bowler with genuine pace.

What has Stone done now?

I know people argue that going mad over this result is an over-reaction to one loss, but it iw WIndies biggest home win by runs ever. England keep doing this, all the time. We constantly collapse.
I know we beat India and we whitewashed Sri Lanka but there are big problems. If they're building towards the World Cup and everything else comes second that's fair enough but be honest enough to say it.

The problem is they all bat like Pietersen, on the odd occasion it comes off it looks great but only Burns and Jennings actually want to knuckle down and battle. Jennings is no where near good enough, his first class record would tell you that.
Then we pick bowlers on their ability with the bat so that our best spinner, Leach, can't get a game because they pick guys who bat to cover up the guys who can't bat who are paid to bat.

I read something recently about Australia picking players on their potential and on doing their bit in the youth teams. Doing well in domestic cricket isn't prized so the whole competition is devalued. Then someone like Jennings comes along who everyone says is a coach's dream but can't play seam bowling.

If it was a one off then fair enough, these things happen, but it happens every couple of months with England

It actually turns out that England's most impressive achievement under Duncan Fletcher wasn't winning the Ashes (England have now won 5 of the last 8 Ashes) but that 2003/04 win in the West Indies - Harmison's 7-12, Hoggy's hattrick, Lara's 400 etc.

The only other series we've ever won in the West Indies was 1967-68.

would be sorely disappointed if Jack Leach doesn't become Englands first choice spinner for the next test. Utter toss dredged up by Moeen and Rashid was just unacceptable IMO. Moeen in particular has been around long enough now but still struggles with basics for a spinner like line and length, and please don't tell me he's there for his batting.

I know people argue that going mad over this result is an over-reaction to one loss, but it iw WIndies biggest home win by runs ever. England keep doing this, all the time. We constantly collapse.
I know we beat India and we whitewashed Sri Lanka but there are big problems. If they're building towards the World Cup and everything else comes second that's fair enough but be honest enough to say it.

The problem is they all bat like Pietersen, on the odd occasion it comes off it looks great but only Burns and Jennings actually want to knuckle down and battle. Jennings is no where near good enough, his first class record would tell you that.
Then we pick bowlers on their ability with the bat so that our best spinner, Leach, can't get a game because they pick guys who bat to cover up the guys who can't bat who are paid to bat.

I read something recently about Australia picking players on their potential and on doing their bit in the youth teams. Doing well in domestic cricket isn't prized so the whole competition is devalued. Then someone like Jennings comes along who everyone says is a coach's dream but can't play seam bowling.

If it was a one off then fair enough, these things happen, but it happens every couple of months with England

Great post BS, could you imagine the great players of the past not getting in like Derek Underwood great spinner, below average Batsman, even fast bowlers like John Snow,and then you have players like skippers Mike Brearley average player but what a leader on the field

Let get back to basics in 5 day tests, batsmen to bat and and bowlers to bowl, T20 is different,but 5 day tests should just be that played over the 5 days and not try to blast 400 in day one, worked well for Aussies in years gone by, but the game has moved on in my opinion

I don't believe all these hit-and-run competitions are of any help to players when playing in a 5 day test match (which is a totally different game). Too many times batsmen are out in tests using a stroke (or rather swipe) more commonly found in the limited over games, similarly the bowling is just not good enough at test level. The arts of batting and bowling have definitely deteriorated imo.

Great post BS, could you imagine the great players of the past not getting in like Derek Underwood great spinner, below average Batsman, even fast bowlers like John Snow,and then you have players like skippers Mike Brearley average player but what a leader on the field

Let get back to basics in 5 day tests, batsmen to bat and and bowlers to bowl, T20 is different,but 5 day tests should just be that played over the 5 days and not try to blast 400 in day one, worked well for Aussies in years gone by, but the game has moved on in my opinion

thanks mate. Money will be in the usual place.

It wasn't just the Aussies - the South Africans, sorry, England, were pretty good when we got to number one in the world. We weren't always exciting but, my god, we didn't half sell our wickets dearly. That's proper Test match cricket.

I think whoever runs the team needs to start making tough decisions. Stokes at 5 is case in point for me. He should be the all rounder at 6, not having to bowl as one of 2 bowlers then bat 5

Agreed, they can't just give him one chance. Idiotic selectors wasting their time with Jennings for so long has now caused an issue with the batting for the Ashes. I have not seen enough of Burns to have an opinion yet.

Back