• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Predicting the England test team has become all a little too easy these days, but the ODI line-up is more interesting. Not sure when the line-up for the ODIs is due to be named, but I'm going to stick my neck out and predict the following:

1. Cook*
2. Kieswetter +
3. Trott
4. Bell
5. Morgan
6. Stokes
7. Patel
8. Swann
9. Bresnan
10. Broad
11. Dernbach

12. Bopara
13. Shahzad

Obviously the biggest name missing is Capey. I think he'll be the odd man out in the England selector's eyes. Cook has to play as captain and will open. England will surely go for either Kieswetter or Davies alongside him - I think England favour Kieswetter as the better less bad keeper, a right-hander to go alongside Cook and as a world cup winner.

Trott is a must at three as England's most dependable batsman. There's no way Morgan misses out, so he's in at five. So at four it comes down to a straight choice between Bell and Pietersen. I think Bell gets the nod from Flower and Capey is offered a chance to "rest" for the one-dayers, although he'll come back into the side for 20:20. England may try and dodge this issue by resting someone - Trott or Bell are probably a due a break.

England then need a bowling option at 6 - think how many games Luke Wright has had as 6th bowler to see how England consider this (rightly IMO) important. I think England will go with Ben Stokes here (or at 7, and flip him and Samit Patel in the order). A graduate of the u19s and the Lions, if Stokes isn't the real deal, he does a passable impression of it. Still a teenager (just), he has a first class average over 45, three division one hundreds this year already (including 185 against the county championship leaders in the current round). Add in an ability to clear the ropes and some raw bowling potential and I think England will find it hard to overlook his potential. Expect Flintoff comparisons in the media aplenty.

Broad, Bresnan and Swann will be automatic picks, leaving two bowling spots. Jade Dernbach seems to be making the right impression having impressed for the Lions in the winter and again in the game against Sri Lanka and having been called up as a late replacement to the World Cup squad. I think he profiles better for one-day than test cricket. It'll probably be between him and Shahzad for this spot. That leaves one spot and I think Samit Patel will get the nod as the fifth bowler and take Yardy's spot. He's finally got himself fit enough to pass level one on the ECB bleep test and was rewarded with a place in the Lions the other week. I think he gets the call over Rashid who England don't seem to like and whose bowling has gone off the boil in recent weeks.

Rounding out the squad would be Bopara and Shahzad, and they may start ahead of Stokes and Dernbach.

FWIW, I'd have Capey in over Bell, probably Davies over Kieswetter, would be looking to find room for Bops and I'd be looking very closely at both Ben Stokes and Josh Buttler.

Kieswetter and Samit Patel recalled as predicted. Bresnan still isn't fit, so Woakes comes in for him. Anderson and Finn are preferred to an out of form Shahzad.

Lumb and Wright come in for Cook, Trott and Anderson in the 20:20s.

Will be very interesting to see which batsman England leave out. Will we rotate them to avoid dropping someone, or will Bopara miss out leaving Trott be the 6th bowler in a 4 and a half bowler attack?

Surprised Cook's debut as captain has passed by without comment!

Unless you are Michael Atherton, poacher turned gamekeeper. Fancy him calling Cook a plodder & donkey in the field, pot, kettle & black spring to mind.

Apart from Cook only scoring 5 it couldn't have gone better for him yesterday in what was a convincing win for England.

Unless you are Michael Atherton, poacher turned gamekeeper. Fancy him calling Cook a plodder & donkey in the field, pot, kettle & black spring to mind.

Apart from Cook only scoring 5 it couldn't have gone better for him yesterday in what was a convincing win for England.

Yeah was a bit surprised Atherton said what he did! Talk about giving someone a chance!

His captaincy debut was in Bangladesh and he's now won 4 out of 4 as captain:thumbsup:

Yesterday was his first ODI as captain though wasn't it?

Yeah was a bit surprised Atherton said what he did! Talk about giving someone a chance!

Yesterday was his first ODI as captain though wasn't it?

4 out of 4 as ODI captain, 2 out of 2 as test captain and we won't mention the one game he captained the England 20:20 side.

I'm going to Lord's on Sunday for the 3rd ODI. Hopefully I get better luck with the weather than my previous cricket watching so far this summer.

My tickets apparently allow me access to the unreserved seating in the Warner Stand, Allen Stand (Lower tier only) or Tavern Stand. Anyone got any view on where would be best? I'm leaning towards the upper tier of the Warner Stand.....

Jimmy has just ripped through the Lankan's top order, 41-4. Broad goes for 8 in his first over, is it time for a rest? Tough call, there's arguments on both sides.

Jimmy has just ripped through the Lankan's top order, 41-4. Broad goes for 8 in his first over, is it time for a rest? Tough call, there's arguments on both sides.

The cricinfo commentary had one of those 4s as being through the slip cordon.

The cricinfo commentary had one of those 4s as being through the slip cordon.
I'm not suggesting we drop him because he conceded two boundaries, but he has been sub standard recently.

Of course, as soon as I say that he takes a wicket.

Broad is having a dip but i don't see much point "resting him", however I feel a bit sorry for Finn at the moment.

Broad has bowled desperately averagely again today. His one wicket (for the series...) was a leg side wide which took the glove, and he hasn't looked like taking another.

Also don't really see what Dernbach brings to the table. He has a much-vaunted slower ball which, while good, is about the easiest to spot in world cricket. But his stock delivery is no better than Darren Pattison.

Broad has bowled desperately averagely again today. His one wicket (for the series...) was a leg side wide which took the glove, and he hasn't looked like taking another.

Also don't really see what Dernbach brings to the table. He has a much-vaunted slower ball which, while good, is about the easiest to spot in world cricket. But his stock delivery is no better than Darren Pattison.

I was going to say that at least he's more English than Pattison, but then I remembered it was Dernbach we were talking about.

Dernbach's currently a class above county level but a class below international cricket.

Talking of Pattison, his brother has just made the Convict one-day squad ahead of Ryan Harris.

Well he did!

Back