• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
WHAT’S THE MAIN FOCUS FOR ENGLAND?

Here in the UK, we’re all still stuck in the mire of what has inevitably been dubbed ‘BridgeGate’. You might think that weeks of press speculation, pages of gossip, one sacking, one resignation and one very publicly snubbed handshake would be enough to satiate the English love for scandal, but apparently not. Wayne Rooney stepped up in front of journalists on Monday expecting questions on the forthcoming World Cup and was met instead by a barrage of nonsense and piffle.

For what it’s worth, Rooney thinks that John Terry is, “a great player,” and that he hopes no-one boos him. He thinks that Wayne Bridge is, “a fantastic player,” and that his decision to make himself unavailable for England is, “unfortunate.” He even waded into the swiftly-flowing waters of ShawcrossGate to say that the Stoke defender was, “not that type of player.” Fascinating stuff, I’m sure you’ll agree.

It’s all so dull. With just 99 days left until the start of the World Cup, you might think people would have moved on to more important matters. What will the development of Rooney as an out-and-out striker do to Fabio Capello’s Emile Heskey-led formation? Will the Italian consider a return to 4-4-2 with two old-fashioned wingers. Is there is any concern about the paucity of English goalkeepers? Ah, but no. The most pressing issue here is whether or not the paying public will jeer the former England captain. Sometimes I wonder if I’m a football correspondent or a soap opera columnist.

WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT ROONEY?

Thanks for asking! Capello likes to deploy a big striker, usually Heskey, up front with three players running in behind him. A quick right-winger, usually Aaron Lennon, opens up a flank, while two creative-types, Steven Gerrard and Rooney, dovetail on the left of centre, picking up Heskey’s knock-downs and working the space. The full-backs push up in support, Frank Lampard and Gareth Barry provide a base camp in the middle and the centre-backs stay deep. But will that work now that Rooney is so comfortable further up in front of goal? With the form that he’s in, it’s a waste to have him cutting in from the left, but to shift him would wreck the balance. Gerrard can’t simply drop to left-wing in a 4-4-2 because he isn’t disciplined enough to provide any defensive protection. You could tell Gerrard to go and change the bulbs in the floodlights, turn your back for a moment and then spot him running in behind the strikers looking for a snapshot on the edge of the box. He’s got the attention span of a Labrador puppy. Capello could put Rooney up front, Gerrard in the centre and then edge Barry out to the left, but you know what that leaves us with, don’t you? Gerrard and Lampard together in the middle. We’ve been here before. Capello’s office must be littered with screwed up diagrams. Still, it’s more interesting than Terry’s lovelife, isn’t it?

AND THE GOALKEEPING ISSUE?

David James is in good form, but he doesn’t always inspire confidence in the ranks. Then there’s Rob Green who always looks good in highlight packages, but whose movement can really let him down. Joe Hart is the third choice, but he’s ever so young. You suspect that Capello will go for the experience of James, but it’s impossible to make a conclusive decision. The Portsmouth stopper is only ever one cataclysmic error away from sending everyone back to the drawing board. Where did all the good goalkeepers go?

A thoroughly well written piece once again Slipper. I want to subscribe to your journals!

I whole heartedly agree with you but it is the scandals that sell newspapers! Juicy gossip! Everyone can watch football week in week out and come to their own conclusions about the squad and speculate about Capello's problems and the main word probably being that they can 'forsee' them occurring. A love cheat scandal they cannot!

It is pathetic but in the recent cases with Tiger Woods, David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole and John Terry they all disappear out of the newspapers fairly sharply. No doubt there is an undisclosed fee appearing in the bank accounts of those making the accusations then all of a sudden you never hear the full story from both sides in a bout of to me to you.

The problem with Wayne Rooney is a good problem to have.

The goalkeeping issue - A position that will always be open to debate with our press only too happy to highlight goalkeeping errors. You don't often see the headline 'Wonder save from James' but you do get the ' Another costly blunder from afro man' headline appearing.

The press IMO do all they can to place negativity around the England camp in the lead up to main competitions but then again it is not their job to win England the World Cup. They sell their newspapers and they are happy. It is IMO the responsibility of the staff and players at both professional clubs and national sides to keep themselves out of the limelight and enjoy the build up to the World Cup and other big events without scandals.

. You don't often see the headline 'Wonder save from James'

I disagree, I think on his day David James is amazing, at his age his athleticism is fantastic and he has often single handedly one matches for Portsmouth over the last few years.

AND THE GOALKEEPING ISSUE?

David James is in good form, but he doesn’t always inspire confidence in the ranks. Then there’s Rob Green who always looks good in highlight packages, but whose movement can really let him down. Joe Hart is the third choice, but he’s ever so young. You suspect that Capello will go for the experience of James, but it’s impossible to make a conclusive decision. The Portsmouth stopper is only ever one cataclysmic error away from sending everyone back to the drawing board. Where did all the good goalkeepers go?

Whisper it ... Paul Robinson's been quite steady this year. I also quite like Chris Kirkland too, but I don't think either of these two will make the final cut. I share your concerns about James and Green, but would be delighted if Hart gets the nod for third choice. He looks an excellent keeper and I think he'd do a great job if called upon as he looks very confident for such a young chap. Anyway, could be worse ... anyone remember Scott Carson ? :O

Punbase alert!

I disagree, I think on his day David James is amazing, at his age his athleticism is fantastic and he has often single handedly one matches for Portsmouth over the last few years.

Was that use of the word 'one' above a subtle embellishment of your phrase 'single handedly,' ie to illustrate your point that he has won matches with one hand ? :) If so, top stuff! :cool:

Back