• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England squad: Andrew Strauss (captain), Alastair Cook, Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Matt Prior, Liam Plunkett, Steve Harmison, Matthew Hoggard, Monty Panesar, Owais Shah.

Prior gets the nod as wicketkeeper. Not sure if Moores is being biased towards Prior having worked with him at Sussex, my feeling on Prior's career so far is that he isn't a great batsman and isn't a great wicketkeeper. I'd have opted for Nixon, his performances in the World Cup were one of the few positives, he also brings extra qualities with his enthusiasm and attitude. Although Nixon may be too old to play in the Ashes in 2009, he deserves a place on merit.

It's a good time to be making a debut though as a home series against the West Indies isn't exactly a baptism of fire. I must say I've never felt so un-excited about a home series against the West Indies. I can recall summers in 1991 and 1995 where I was glued to the TV screen watching the likes of Richards and Lara bat, then watch our batsmen toil against classic fast bowling from Ambrose and Walsh.

I feel the World Cup was make or break for West Indies cricket - a successful tournament could've re-ignited the dying passion for the game in the Caribbean and given the current team the much needed confidence that winning momentum brings. However with the disappointing campaign from their team, a poor tournament they hosted and the retirement of their only world class player I think the West Indies are about the same standard as Bangladesh now.

I actually hope it's a close series, I'd like to see West Indies surprise people in the new Lara-less era and at least show more discipline, making England work for their runs and wickets. A white wash for England would probably be a false dawn as there are much sterner tests in world cricket to come, plus world cricket needs a competitive West Indian team,

prior over nixon is quite strange... as you said nixon was one of a few positives. it's a shame that graveney doesn't want to pick tresco either, although perhaps this series is a bit too soon

Ever since Sky stole the live rights from C4, I've just been completely meh about test cricket. Especially since five's got the highlight rights.

Stole the rights??

Didn't they pay for them in an open bidding process?

I don't like the premise of Sky (although I subscribe) but that sort of statement is nonsense.

The Vaughan injury for this test certainly saved selectors a tough decision and, meaning their only major decisions were the wicket keeper and last bowling slot.

Who Vaughan will be included at the expense of for the 2nd test will be interesting. The names said to be considered are Strauss Cook Bell Collingwood. For me, Collingwood is most expendable, unless his bowling is used more in tests. However given his last year or so it would be harsh to drop him. The only Batsman who has consistently failed is Freddie, and therefore I would consider dropping him down to 7, and having a top order of Strauss Cook Vaughan Pieterson Collingwood Bell. With Fred at 6 we look vulnerable as soon as we are 4 wickets down, and with our 7 and 8 not being proven, and the rest competing for no.11 slot, that gives us a long tail.

This would also releive some pressure on the requirement of the keeper making runs at 8. 3 seamers (fred, Homesick and Hoggard,) Panesar bowling spin, and Pieterson and Collingwood filling in should be enough to keep the bowlers fresh).

What side would you go for?

The Vaughan injury for this test certainly saved selectors a tough decision and, meaning their only major decisions were the wicket keeper and last bowling slot.

Who Vaughan will be included at the expense of for the 2nd test will be interesting. The names said to be considered are Strauss Cook Bell Collingwood. For me, Collingwood is most expendable, unless his bowling is used more in tests. However given his last year or so it would be harsh to drop him. The only Batsman who has consistently failed is Freddie, and therefore I would consider dropping him down to 7, and having a top order of Strauss Cook Vaughan Pieterson Collingwood Bell. With Fred at 6 we look vulnerable as soon as we are 4 wickets down, and with our 7 and 8 not being proven, and the rest competing for no.11 slot, that gives us a long tail.

This would also releive some pressure on the requirement of the keeper making runs at 8. 3 seamers (fred, Homesick and Hoggard,) Panesar bowling spin, and Pieterson and Collingwood filling in should be enough to keep the bowlers fresh).

What side would you go for?

One with a wicket keeper.:p

IMO Vaughan must play in the test side if fit, it will be hard on Collingwood, but he would be the one I would chop. Although Strauss had a poor Ashes tour, but his test match record other than that is excellent. Cook, Bell & Pieterson are young and the nucleus of the batting for a few years to come, and Cook will almost certainly captain England at some point.

I have reservations about Matt Prior as I think he is the coaches pick, but good luck to him. Subject to Flintoff being fit, then Shah will drop out of the squad for Lords, although according to the papers this morning Ravi Bopara may be called up as a batting all rounder in place of Flintoff.

As above, keeper (any one of 8 candidates) to bat at 8, where it will be his keeping not his runs under scrutiny, and any runs he does get will be a bonus. Fred (batting 7, Harmison and Hoggard (batting anywhere in bottom 3) making up the seamers, with Panesar (batting in bottom 3) the spinner.

As above, keeper (any one of 8 candidates) to bat at 8, where it will be his keeping not his runs under scrutiny, and any runs he does get will be a bonus. Fred (batting 7, Harmison and Hoggard (batting anywhere in bottom 3) making up the seamers, with Panesar (batting in bottom 3) the spinner.

A good batsman/keeper can also double as an all rounder, like Alec Stewart did for so long. I think that we should go into a test with 5 main bowlers, which means Flintoff is pivotal as the all rounder, but as you rightly point out weakens the batting. Hence the selection of Prior who will probably bat 6. I'm not really keen on "fill in" bowlers as they can offer disappear for loads. But having another bowler to fall back on often helps a team as they can have the old golden arm.

I noted that in Gus Fraser's choice for the England XI in the Torygraph, he picked Fozzie as his keeper. Perhaps James's time will come, eventually!

I also think Nixon is unlucky to lose out after a good winter, but I've always thought Prior was quite competent, so let's see how he gets on.

Presuming Fred is unfit, we'll line up like this today:

Strauss
Cook
Bell
KP
Collingwood
Shah
Prior
Plunkett
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson

The interesting conunudrum will be who to drop once Vaughan is fit. I think it's a very difficult one - Bell, Cook and Collingwood all had decent winters, but one of them would have to go. I think Colly would give way, although personally I think that would be a mistake; I think the person you would miss least out of those three would (sorry, Ian) be Bell. So the ideal XI:

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan [c]
KP
Collingwood
Fred
Prior
Plunkett (note 1)
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar / Anderson (note 2) depending on the surface

Notes
1. I remain to be convinced by Liam. I believe that Mahmood - once he has learnt a bit more discipline & control - is the better long-term bet. Oh, if only the rumours of Allan Donald doing some coaching with some of the England players were true.

2. Stuart Broad may well be the long term solution - although this may be a summer too soon?

Matt

Word is Anderson has been released to play for Lancs, and Shah is set to play ahead of Flintoff.

Not sure of the wisdom of only playing 3 seamers in overcast conditions.

Apparently we've lost the toss. Given the overhead conditions and the pitch looking decidely green Sarwan has put us in.

What are the odds of Prior on debut having a bat before lunch?

Apparently we've lost the toss. Given the overhead conditions and the pitch looking decidely green Sarwan has put us in.

What are the odds of Prior on debut having a bat before lunch?
Ooh, bad toss to lose. The ball will be swinging like a banana this morning. Collymore and Bravo can certainly move it around - although I've never been that impressed by the former - although I wonder what Taylor will make of English conditions. Whatever happened to Fidel Edwards, incidentally?

Let's hope Cook & Strauss are in suitably Boycottian mood...

Matt

Light drizzle means Prior is now unlikely to get a bat before lunch. Not sure how much play they'll get in today.

I would think it will be ideal conditions for Collymore, who is a more of a move it about a bit bowler rather than a tearaway quick. He might not pitch it far enough up though which will give our bats a bit of a chance.

Play is under way......

The lefthanders have survived the opening half hour.

I actually think that with the Duke ball, it takes a few overs for the ball to really start to swing. I'd therefore say that the second half hour is tougher than the first. Hopefully Cook and Strauss can still be there at lunch.

Back