• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England Squad - No Rooney

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
Rooney has been left out of the latest England squad:

BBC

Is this the end of his international career?

It's a shame the way his career has been petering out over the last few years. An absolute beast in his day, but we've only seen very occasional flashes of that lately.

Looks like it is game over for him at England and Man Utd. Where next I wonder?

It's a shame the way his career has been petering out over the last few years. An absolute beast in his day, but we've only seen very occasional flashes of that lately.

Has to be a money spinner in China

He may fancy the ground where he had his biggest battle against the might of Stevie Hammell and Efe Sodje.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has one more year at United and then jacks it in entirely.

Quite like that team but I'm not sure what the logic is in having 4 keepers, are they doing one half each?

US seems the obvious destination for him. A couple of years in Seattle or LA would be a great experience for him if he fancies it. China I just don't see.

If he stays in Europe and is playing well then he should be in consideration for future squads if he deserves to be there on merit.

I wonder if Rooney and Southgate have had a private falling out so to speak, According to the BBC, apparently Gareth has admitted that he didn't speak with Wayne before announcing to the media that he would be left out of June's fixtures against Scotland and France.

Regardless of his form or lack of playing time, I think it's odd not to speak with our nations team captain (not to mention, record goal scorer & 2nd most capped player of all time) before making an announcement to the press.

Don't get me wrong, I think Southgate has made the right decision (given the strong position we are in the table & the younger players should be given a chance to merit a place in the team over experience). But personally I find it all a bit strange the way it has been handled publicly.

As for Rooney's future, considering he was quoted as saying he wont play for any other premier league side other than Man Utd or Everton (and I can't see Everton forking out for him).

I reckon he will end up going for the final big "pay day" playing a couple of seasons in the MLS and a couple of seasons in the Chinese league (Tevez & Oscar are apparently on more than 400K a week in China!), before retiring from football when he is in he's mid 30's.
No doubt he will immediately get TV commentary work back in England, like other newly retired players such as Lampard etc..... I can't see him moving into any form of football management.

Personally I could see him going to Everton on a cut price deal because he wants to play some games, before maybe doing the MLS for a year. Or an MLS deal with a loan-back to Everton.

It's slightly strange how his career has petered out because I do think he has a lot to offer but he's just really struggled since losing his turn of pace and hasn't be able to keep his energy/fitness. He could do a decent job as a deeper midfielder if he wanted but guess he's not that arsed.

Amazing player with a glittering career
Unfortunately it's all going South now physically especially. But think of the battering his body has taken, he has been playing at the highest level non stop since he was 16.

And once there was this. It doesn't get much better, even if he's never been an intellectual giant. Alex Ferguson's reaction was absolutely priceless. I'm not much good at lip reading but you can try and guess if you fancy a go.

[video=youtube;GpSwJWr-hMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpSwJWr-hMI[/video]

Amazing player with a glittering career
Unfortunately it's all going South now physically especially. But think of the battering his body has taken, he has been playing at the highest level non stop since he was 16.

Important point. Still relatively young, but a lot of miles on the clock and has not played a single game at anything other than the highest level. No loan spells in the lower leagues - either Premier League or senior internationals his entire career.

He could do a decent job as a deeper midfielder if he wanted but guess he's not that arsed.

I don't think he could do a job there. He doesn't have the tools. For both United and England in the games that he had there over the past couple of years it was clear that he didn't have the head for it. That Iceland game last summer, Rooney spent the whole game just chasing after the ball. He worked his bollocks off for 70 minutes without positively impacting the game at all.

Scholes managed that transition from centre forward to number ten to holding midfield and so I see why people thought Rooney would go the same way but he doesn't have Scholes' footballing brain.

I think if Rooney is to have one more good run somewhere it'll be upfront.

Last edited:
And once there was this. It doesn't get much better, even if he's never been an intellectual giant. Alex Ferguson's reaction was absolutely priceless. I'm not much good at lip reading but you can try and guess if you fancy a go.

[video=youtube;GpSwJWr-hMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpSwJWr-hMI[/video]

That goal is great. I prefer his McCormack-esque volley vs Newcastle though. The guy was some footballer.

Back