• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England - Summer 2018

Cook retiring!!

Good for Essex but wanted to see him have a go at getting up the all time test runscorers list

All the best to him, a legend of the game. Makes you wonder if Anderson is next..

Disappointed to hear that news, although not completely surprised by his recent runs, I was rather hoping he would have at least continued through the tours of Sri Lanka and the West Indies before making his mind up.

Possibly his twins arriving very soon, made his mind up, and rather than a gruelling series abroad he made the decision to spend his winter at home on the farm and Im sure some TV work will not be short in offering

Believe he should have gone before the series, as he seems all at sea this series, great servant and will give Essex a few good years service still

Do agree with Bumble, would have left him out of the fifth test and brought in a new opener to get use to a test match, with little pressure on them as series won

Thanks AC for some wonderful times for England and long may it continue with Essex next season, a few bob on us for the title next year will be beckoning

Possibly his twins arriving very soon, made his mind up, and rather than a gruelling series abroad he made the decision to spend his winter at home on the farm and Im sure some TV work will not be short in offering

Believe he should have gone before the series, as he seems all at sea this series, great servant and will give Essex a few good years service still

Do agree with Bumble, would have left him out of the fifth test and brought in a new opener to get use to a test match, with little pressure on them as series won

Thanks AC for some wonderful times for England and long may it continue with Essex next season, a few bob on us for the title next year will be beckoning

Don't agree at all, Cook deserves a send off at Lords and I'm sure it will be a very special test for him. I do understand where you are coming from and in ordinary circumstances I'd agree but this is a once in a lifetime special player we are talking about here and I'm sure the majority would want to send him off properly.

Cooky gets a ton on his final England game. Fairy tale stuff. :Happy:

A bit of a coincidence that Chef's 1st test with England was against India and he got a half century in the 1st innings and a century in the 2nd and the same thing has happened in his last test for England

Arise Sir Cooky, nailed on. Deserved too, does a lot for the young kids.

100% conducts himself immaculately, really personifies the word gentleman.

Freddie Flintoff is a fan
Flintoff: ‘If my daughter brought Alastair Cook home, I would high five the missus’
In Short

Freddie Flintoff says Cook is ‘one of the best blokes you could ever wish to meet’.

Finishes just shy of 12500 test runs at a average of just over 45. When you consider he has opened the batting for nearly all of the time he has played and as a England player would have played at least half of his test matches in England where the Duke cricket ball is used, this is some amazing achievement. As long as most of us will live, there will never be anyone remotely as good as A.N. Cook putting on the pads for England.

Anyone fancy picking a sixteen to tour Sri Lanka?
How about:
Burns
Stoneman
Bell
Root
Pope
Buttler
Stokes
Woakes
Bairstow
Ali
Rasheed
Leach
Curran
Wood
Porter
Foakes

Absolutely no chance of this being the squad and I’ve deliberately left out Broad and Anderson as apparently this is very much on the cards. Ian Bell still the best 3 in the country but I imagine the selection will be Vince. Porter and Wood to drop off if the big two decide to tour (I’d rest both of them)
Probably replace Stoneman who I think was dropped too early (along with Malan) with Jennings who is probably the happiest man now that Cook has retired.
Other than that, it picks itself.

1. Burns
2. Jennings
3. Ali
4. Root
5. Stokes
6. Bairstow
7. Buttler
8. CurranS
9. Rashid
10. Anderson
11. Leach
12. Denly
13. Pope
14. Woakes
15. Porter
16. Bess

Is my guess.

Bell is not a no.3. He doesn’t even bat there for his county. He was a 5 or 6 at test level as he needed to be protected by a strong top 4 (he averaged 35 batting in the top 4) and he’s regressed since then - don’t be fooled by runs against the bottom county in division 2.

Personally I’d be looking at Burns, Joe Clarke and Sam Hain for batsmen and Josh Tongue and Olly Stone as fast bowlers. For spinners I think it is too soon for Virdi.

I really thought Porter might have been in with a decent shout this time around with being selected in the test squads this summer, his recent county form and not to mention England's bowling coach being his former county coach but not to be. Why try something different when you have world beaters like Chris Woakes to bowl mediocre nothingness.

Going around the park a bit at the moment.

Still, It'll rain soon and be abandoned! :Thumbs up:

Indeed.

I see the skipper's left himself out, after all those 20 over reduced matches and 4 days off.

Back