• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England tour of West Indies

I thought the game last night was very entertaining. West indies look good, they have added to the impressive youth that struggled in the world cup with a lot of "one WC too far" players. I think WI could be contenders in this years WC. 44* off 16 balls for their number 11! England are still a formidable white ball team, I think you would be looking at changing 6 players from last nights game to get our our strongest XI. No concerns here at all.

Think giving newbies a chance in WI not a problem, its all about learning losing and learning as a team
Totally agree and I think Don Topley made a good point about the bowlers, we selected bowlers that can swing it a bit in Topley and Garton but chose to bowl 1st after rain. Don commented the first ball hit into the damp outfield would make the ball wet and limit the swing, Can understand why we chose to chase due to the threat of more showers but it did the bowlers no favours. The 1st choice t2o side is exceptional IMO, if one or two of these guys can stake a claim then we have great coverage for injuries and a nice headache if there are none

Totally agree and I think Don Topley made a good point about the bowlers, we selected bowlers that can swing it a bit in Topley and Garton but chose to bowl 1st after rain. Don commented the first ball hit into the damp outfield would make the ball wet and limit the swing, Can understand why we chose to chase due to the threat of more showers but it did the bowlers no favours. The 1st choice t2o side is exceptional IMO, if one or two of these guys can stake a claim then we have great coverage for injuries and a nice headache if there are none
That's the crux, we need cover which in the ashes showed us up
Too much is looked into the defeats, similar to Southend, we lose but as long as we learn the future is bright, too many people expect instant success, all teams go through great periods and then have to start again

On a different topic Under 19 Wc is brilliant to watch in the WIndies, shame crowds not turning up, Afghanistan look good and so do The Tigers, cracking Match to morrow India v Bangledesh. England look to have composed players to come through

Interesting showed U19 from 1996 England had Key, Shah, Napier,Swann and an opener could Stephen Peters sadly never went on to better things at Essex, but showed quality when moving to Worcester/Northants

Last edited:
T20 4th match, England win by 34 runs, to level the series,

All down to the decider tomorrow evening

T20 4th match, England win by 34 runs, to level the series,

All down to the decider tomorrow evening
Pleased it is not a dead rubber. Think on balance the West indies have been the better side over the 4 games. Moeen playing well as skipper is promising though, I can't see Morgan playing on for too much longer as his standards are too high to allow himself in the team if he is not at his best. Stepping down after the t20 world Cup would not surprise me

Everything going along reasonably smoothly needing 20 from the last over.

Then Holder bowls the last over and takes 4 wickets with the last 4 balls of the match to win the T20 series,

West Indies win by 17 runs

Not sure why we didn't bowl out Moeen and Livingstone when they were proving economical compared to the seamers.

Not sure why we didn't bowl out Moeen and Livingstone when they were proving economical compared to the seamers.
I think this series was about experimentation and looking to develop and improve. I'm sure you would have seen the stats that we are 12th of the top 12 nations when it comes to bowling economy in the death overs. I think we are looking for someone to step up in that area and probably why we didn't use the spinners when it got to that period. Jofra does it well in the IPL and Jordan used to be superb but he hasn't been nailing his wide yorker consistently for some time now and is pretty expensive. I think it is our one weakness, at the moment Jofra being fit for the world T20 looks pretty important for our chances.

Today's dilema, watch 1st test match or go to the theatre of horrors ⚽?

Looking at our team, it is so uninspiring. Not picking Broad and Anderson is almost like they don't want to win. Replacing them with Woakes and Overton jeez. Mahmood looks OK. I guess we will just have to get used to being bang average at tests now.

Dan Lawrence in already......different tour same old stuff....

Back