• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v Belgium

MK Shrimper

Striker
Now I've worked through the draw and I hope we lose by the odd goal and end up second. Much easier route with no big teams until the final (should Germany & Brazil win their group).

Yes,we will know more tomorrow morning,but if the easier route is 2nd,then lets get beat.

Yes,we will know more tomorrow morning,but if the easier route is 2nd,then lets get beat.

The easier route is definitely to finish 2nd now, I think, though it would mean a semi-final potentially against Spain.

Mind you, one game at a time, as they say.

We finished 2nd in the group:

Round of 16: V Colombia
Quarter Final: V Sweden or Switzerland
Semi Final: V Spain / Russia / Croatia or Denmark

Last edited:
A possible plus is that iv'e read that Lukaku will not be playing tonight due to suffering an ankle injury in the last game against Tunisia.

Personally, I'm not bothered about routes to the final. As Gareth has said, we haven't won a single knock out game since 2006. Yes we'd all love to win it, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

In terms of 'easy' routes... Germany lost to both Mexico and Korea (and made both look like world beaters), Brazil couldn't beat Switzerland, Argentina lost by 3 to Croatia, so it goes on. Go for the win against Belgium, build the momentum and let the other teams start to fear us!

I don't understand the whole 'easier route' debate. You only have to look at what happened in the Euros to know that such thinking is nonsense.

Personally, I'm not bothered about routes to the final. As Gareth has said, we haven't won a single knock out game since 2006. Yes we'd all love to win it, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

In terms of 'easy' routes... Germany lost to both Mexico and Korea (and made both look like world beaters), Brazil couldn't beat Switzerland, Argentina lost by 3 to Croatia, so it goes on. Go for the win against Belgium, build the momentum and let the other teams start to fear us!

I agree, we should definitely go for the win, there are no easy options.

We would be wise to remember that just 2 years ago, we were planning to face Portugal, but a turn of fortune meant we had to play little "Iceland" instead. At the time we were counting our lucky stars etc....and we all know how that panned out for us.

I don't understand the whole 'easier route' debate. You only have to look at what happened in the Euros to know that such thinking is nonsense.

Yep and in the 2002 World Cup where we drew against Nigeria so we could play Denmark in the evening, but after that ended up being beaten by Brazil in the afternoon heat, anyway.

Win well tonight and let a few teams fear us for a change.

A little over two hours to kick off. I'm getting that excited feeling again. Soon be time for the lucky England 2002 away shirt to be donned with due reverence. Yeah, I know, pathetic, but if I don't follow the correct pre-match rituals we could be in trouble.

I've updated post#10.

Either which way, I wouldn't fear any of them.

Also.. didn't someone post about Pele predicting that an African team will win the World Cup before 2000, Well, no African team has qualified from the group stages in this world cup... so I guess, Pele's dream is gonna be at least 22 years late!!.... I wonder if he has an opinion on when our new stadium will be built!!?? :Smile:

Just seen on the BBC, Gareth Southgate has made 8 changes for tonight's match!! :Unsure:

Anyone else thinking, 8 changes is a bit extreme?

Last edited:
Back