• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England V Croatia -Wednesday 11th July 2018

mattitouk

Life President
I think we should play the same team. as of today.

No one really let themselves down this afternoon!!

What changes if any, would you make??

As long as everyone is free from injury following yesterday, no reason to change anything.

We need to shut Modric out of the game, because he can be a real threat for them. Let’s hope Sterling is more clinical with his finishing and then we will be in the final.

Barring injuries Southgate will start the same eleven as yesterday. Another tough game ahead, but then none of them have been easy. Win, lose or draw, the team has exceeded my expectations for this tournament so they are winners in my eyes now.............................of course, stuffing the Croatians and then winning the final would be very nice!

Croatia looked a bit fragile last night, Modric is clearly beginning to feel his age in this tournament and, as Ricey says above, we need to control him.

with a bit of luck or no bad luck,we could well make the final...or am i still dreaming a WC final!!!! ENGLAND

Win , lose ,or draw im very proud of what they have achieved . For such young side they have surpassed my expectations, i think the whole of the country can be very proud,well Mr Southgate i think you have cemented your job for a few more years .

We need to shut Modric out of the game, because he can be a real threat for them. Let’s hope Sterling is more clinical with his finishing and then we will be in the final.

I agree that trying to shut down Modric is the key to curtailing Croatia's threat. The question is should we do a man marker job? If so, who should it be?

My immediate answer would be Jordan Henderson. He has great energy and could stick to the task. The problem is that we might be lacking generally in the defensive midfield bulwark should he be consigned to this task. I'm not sure that Sir Gareth would want to disrupt the midfield too much to accommodate this option, e.g. by supplementing the defensive side with Eric Dier perhaps, as the attacking options would be lesser as a result and the likes of Lingard and Dele will surely not be sacrificed for what would be seen as a negative approach.

I suspect Sir Gareth is giving some thought to how best to shackle Modric - who has been likened to "a schoolboy dressed as a witch" - which will be a tall order but it will be interesting to see if he changes the personnel to do this or maybe asks the existing starting line-up to perhaps do things differently. Or he may just think, we'll play our best side and let them worry about us.

Any Shrimpers heading to Moscow for it? Came very close yesterday to booking flights but in the end my head (and my wife) ruled over my heart. Should at least be a lot more England fans there than there have been for the other games. Lots of tickets going on Facebook etc.

As for the team, no reason to change anything. As the commentator on Saturday said, this could be one of those teams that people will be able to remember off by heart in years to come. Croatia are a step up from Colombia and Sweden but they couldn't beat Russia or Denmark in 120 minutes so we should be confident - let's just hope it doesn't go to penalties!

Any Shrimpers heading to Moscow for it? Came very close yesterday to booking flights but in the end my head (and my wife) ruled over my heart. Should at least be a lot more England fans there than there have been for the other games. Lots of tickets going on Facebook etc.

As for the team, no reason to change anything. As the commentator on Saturday said, this could be one of those teams that people will be able to remember off by heart in years to come. Croatia are a step up from Colombia and Sweden but they couldn't beat Russia or Denmark in 120 minutes so we should be confident - let's just hope it doesn't go to penalties!
Banks, Cohen, Charlton, Moore, Wilson, Ball, Charlton, Peters, Stiles, Hunt, Hurst. Yep, I can still do it.

Very surreal feeling but tomorrow I am off to Croatia ( and then Serbia ) for work.
It's a trip I do once a year and has been booked for some time.
Luckily ( or maybe not ) I am in Croatia on Tuesday and Serbia on Wednesday , but it could just have easily been scheduled the other way around !
My Croatian business contacts have been ribbing me for about a week that I may not be as welcome as usual , but they all agree it is better that we are meeting BEFORE the match and not after.
I guess given their conflicts , I may find for more English support in whatever venue I watch the match in Serbia ......

Very surreal feeling but tomorrow I am off to Croatia ( and then Serbia ) for work.
Luckily ( or maybe not ) I am in Croatia on Tuesday and Serbia on Wednesday , but it could just have easily been scheduled the other way around !

Yeah, lucky you get to Split before the match...

My Croatian business contacts have been ribbing me for about a week that I may not be as welcome as usual , but they all agree it is better that we are meeting BEFORE the match and not after.
I guess given their conflicts , I may find for more English support in whatever venue I watch the match in Serbia ......

You will be in good company in Serbia. To a man they will be supporting us. If you're in Belgrade then try the ? Resturant for prematch din dins, very good food and reasonably priced as well.

Iv'e read that Croatia have sacked their assistant manager for his involvement over Vida's "Glory To Ukraine" video.
He was expected to be sent home by FIFA also, but got a let off. However I heard on talksport, he is expected to play out of position at right back, due to an injury of another player (cant remember who).

In other news, for any London ShrimperZoners on here, or those that aren't aware (but want something a bit different from sitting in the local or at home watching it on the telly)....... Hyde Park are putting up a massive screen and offering 30,000 free tickets on a ballot system basis....also the lightning seeds will be giving a performance to the huge audience!.... I wonder what song they will be singing?? :Smile:
Talking of them, they performed their iconic song at the Wireless Festival in Glasgow at the weekend.. I bet that went down like a lead balloon!! to all our " lovely patriotic Scottish Brothers in arms". I'm surprised they made it out there alive. lol.

Also, i heard on the radio, that Gazza is flying out to Moscow for the game, i'm not sure if he's on any media duties or just on a jolly sampling the local Vodka.

Last edited:
Iv'e read that Croatia have sacked their assistant manager for his involvement over Vida's "Glory To Ukraine" video.
He was expected to be sent home by FIFA also, but got a let off. However I heard on talksport, he is expected to play out of position at right back, due to an injury of another player (cant remember who).

In other news, for any London ShrimperZoners on here, or those that aren't aware (but want something a bit different from sitting in the local or at home watching it on the telly)....... Hyde Park are putting up a massive screen and offering 30,000 free tickets on a ballot system basis....also the lightning seeds will be giving a performance to the huge audience!.... I wonder what song they will be singing?? :Smile:
Talking of them, they performed their iconic song at the Wireless Festival in Glasgow at the weekend.. I bet that went down like a lead balloon!! to all our " lovely patriotic Scottish Brothers in arms". I'm surprised they made it out there alive. lol.

Also, i heard on the radio, that Gazza is flying out to Moscow for the game, i'm not sure if he's on any media duties or just on a jolly sampling the local Vodka.

Be great if the Lightning Seeds played a brilliant two hour set but didn’t play ‘that song’ - just for the audience reaction !

Rumour is that Vida will be playing right back and Corluka coming in at centre back. Kane must be licking his lips at that !

Rumour is that Vida will be playing right back and Corluka coming in at centre back. Kane must be licking his lips at that !

And Sterling. Corluka is very experienced and was/is a very capable defender. He is getting on a bit though and our pace, and Sterling’s runs pulling the defence around, will cause them problems I think

They're not very good at defending set pieces. Most of our goals have come from set pieces.

Only one way this match is going to go.

Back