• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England V Ireland

No one would deny it was a great final, more down to how close it was. A pitch in a world Cup final should not be an "evener". I believe that a pitch that represented an even contest between bat and ball would have seen a convincing England win. The final was great but it was such a fine margin abd would we have felt the same if we hadn't won?

Joe Root has publically come out and criticised the pitch in the press conference after the test as well.

Yet his number eleven scored 92 on it.
Root should grow a pair and rightly accept his team were not good enough with the bat and haven’t been for a very long time.

Root cannot truthfully blame the pitch when tail enders score easily. Top order are often too Gung Ho, not clever batting, not prepared to grind it out when needed. Listen to Boycott, he rarely attributes blame to pitches, rather the less than intelligent batters. The Ashes will be a huge test for our boys.

I was at Lords yesterday and it was not down to the pitch. It was bowling the right length for the conditions against a poor team.

At the start they pitched it to full and Ireland scored some boundaries off the front foot.

It was Broad who did the right thing and insist on a short leg and go more attacking. Against Smith and Warner you might well have to pitch it up to draw them into a shot and an edge. But not against Ireland, they had no chance of scoring 180 off the back foot at Lords in those conditions.

It was always a fixture that won't prove anything one way or the other when it comes to the Ashes.

As for the recent final. England got themselves in trouble because in the modern 'slog feast' era batsmen cant just rotate the strike when the going gets tough. The irony is we won on boundaries and some remarkable luck when just 10 singles over 50 overs would have seen us comfortably home. Root and Stokes were poor tactically rather than the pitch stopping them scoring.

If we want perfect batting tracks then lets do away with grass all together and have artificial strips

Well we aren't going to agree, I've watched the highlights now and it was a very difficult pitch. Atmospherics obviously played a part too but I'm agreeing with root who actually played on the pitch rather than the arm chair fans. To highlight one night watchman scoring in the 90s and to ignore the 27 wickets that went for 10 or under is folly IMO

The Edrich Upper Tier doesn't have any armchairs. Though the added padding in recent years has certainly be a good improvement.

I haven't heard the Irish complaining about the pitch BTW?

Root was out with shot that would look poor in the Rayleigh 6th eleven. Nothing to do with the pitch. Moeen Ali wasn't much better and Bairstow was almost leaning over outside the line for his LBW, on the Lords slope

There is a big difference between a pitch that may suit the bowlers and a genuine bad track

Night watchmen cant score 92 on a bad track.

Root was out with shot that would look poor in the Rayleigh 6th eleven. Nothing to do with the pitch. Moeen Ali wasn't much better and Bairstow was almost leaning over outside the line for his LBW, on the Lords slope

There is a big difference between a pitch that may suit the bowlers and a genuine bad track

Night watchmen cant score 92 on a bad track.

And they’ve all been picked to make the same basic errors again though Australia won’t be so forgiving.

The worse shot was Burns’ dismissal.

Out defending a ball well outside off stump. Nothing to gain from playing at that. One of his strengths is leaving the ball as well. He needs to get back to that.

Well we aren't going to agree, I've watched the highlights now and it was a very difficult pitch. Atmospherics obviously played a part too but I'm agreeing with root who actually played on the pitch rather than the arm chair fans. To highlight one night watchman scoring in the 90s and to ignore the 27 wickets that went for 10 or under is folly IMO

We're all armchair fans even you.
Bit of a silly thing to say really.

Not Really, I said I agreed with Joe Root rather than you, he's not an armchair fan

Bit of a silly thing to say

Michael Vaughan doesn't agree with Joe Root and he knows a bit about cricket.

Jo Root had a poor WC final and now a Test match, including his captaincy from what I could clearly see on Friday. He should learn a lesson from New Zealand and not make silly excuses when he has failed......Even if he had a slight point.

He wont be the first England captain to buckle under the pressure. And no I wont accept the media/public hype as an excuse. I was in Sydney in 2006 at the start of the Ashes. The whole place was obsessed with Ricky Pointing.....He had lost the Ashes and if he failed, a public hanging from Sydney Harbour Bridge was being called for......They did of course win 5-0

Michael Vaughan doesn't agree with Joe Root and he knows a bit about cricket.

Jo Root had a poor WC final and now a Test match
, including his captaincy from what I could clearly see on Friday. He should learn a lesson from New Zealand and not make silly excuses when he has failed......Even if he had a slight point.

He wont be the first England captain to buckle under the pressure. And no I wont accept the media/public hype as an excuse. I was in Sydney in 2006 at the start of the Ashes. The whole place was obsessed with Ricky Pointing.....He had lost the Ashes and if he failed, a public hanging from Sydney Harbour Bridge was being called for......They did of course win 5-0

Michael Vaughan average when captaining the side went from 50 to 36, and since he has become a pundit turned into a right knob, he was extremely fortunate to captain a very very good side, Bob Willis is the pundit that hits hard and truthfully, similar Boycott

You speak utter bollox, Root averaged over 61 and was highest run scorer in total in Englands WC, one bad score doesn't make him a bad captain, probably a better captain as he takes the flak for a poor two days

Not Really, I said I agreed with Joe Root rather than you, he's not an armchair fan

Bit of a silly thing to say

Okay that’s absolutely fine, but don’t moan when you express an opinion on this forum and get dismissed as an armchair fan.
In fact, I just might do that. If you don’t mind me saying, you’re making a rod for your own back here.

Michael Vaughan average when captaining the side went from 50 to 36, and since he has become a pundit turned into a right knob, he was extremely fortunate to captain a very very good side, Bob Willis is the pundit that hits hard and truthfully, similar Boycott

You speak utter bollox, Root averaged over 61 and was highest run scorer in total in Englands WC, one bad score doesn't make him a bad captain, probably a better captain as he takes the flak for a poor two days

He said World Cup final.
Yes Vaughan can be a bit of a knob but no more so than Swan or Tufnell. He was a very fine batsman and captain and his point of view still counts.

Okay that’s absolutely fine, but don’t moan when you express an opinion on this forum and get dismissed as an armchair fan.
In fact, I just might do that. If you don’t mind me saying, you’re making a rod for your own back here.

I am an armchair fan :Hilarious:

I really wouldn't take offence in someone respecting Joe Root's opinion over mine on a pitch he played on and I didn't

so you never question or challenge anything.
Bit pointless coming on here really isn’t it.

I challenged the quality of the job the groundsmen responsible for the Lords pitch did?

Some agreed, some didn't. I then discovered that Joe Root criticised the pitch, which I posted to add weight to my opinion. It was 27 wickets going for 10 or under that formed that opinion as well as the CWC Final Pitch.

We don't agree, fair enough. You can always stick me on ignore if you find my posts pointless

Back