• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v Latvia (women’s international)

Women have every right to play professional football and good luck to them. But it is truly dross. 20 - 0. Thrilling. Not for me. Sorry
Latvia probably don't even pay the manager of the women's team, they definitely aren't professional. I'd be surprised if there's even one pro player in their side (which even San Marino, who the men's team beat 10-0 recently, at least have). All this really shows is that a lot of countries don't fund their women's international side and this is what happens as a result. Really FIFA/UEFA should just let professional sides enter the big tournaments automatically and then just do qualifiers for the rest because there's absolutely no point in a team like England going through qualification when most of the countries in the world don't have a proper women's team.

Last edited:
I’m loving all these goals .. I’m thinking of following women’s football instead of men’s to be fair! 63 shots for England, 83% possession. Mad really.

Could of done with a few more goals :Look: but it was really enjoyable to watch, The real tests of course start in Feb.

Could of done with a few more goals :Look: but it was really enjoyable to watch, The real tests of course start in Feb.

Indeed, there was some very sloppy play in front of goal. They hit the bar from about 3 yards out too. Disgraceful.

Latvia probably don't even pay the manager of the women's team, they definitely aren't professional. I'd be surprised if there's even one pro player in their side (which even San Marino, who the men's team beat 10-0 recently, at least have). All this really shows is that a lot of countries don't fund their women's international side and this is what happens as a result. Really FIFA/UEFA should just let professional sides enter the big tournaments automatically and then just do qualifiers for the rest because there's absolutely no point in a team like England going through qualification when most of the countries in the world don't have a proper women's team.
To that point, the evolution of the women’s game has to start somewhere. For Latvia, that’s the lowest starting point one could possibly imagine but at the same time, money and exposure from the fixture is probably what will help them professionalise as an organisation. Laughable at the moment in terms of competition but I’d imagine it’s about long term thinking here.

To that point, the evolution of the women’s game has to start somewhere. For Latvia, that’s the lowest starting point one could possibly imagine but at the same time, money and exposure from the fixture is probably what will help them professionalise as an organisation. Laughable at the moment in terms of competition but I’d imagine it’s about long term thinking here.
I suppose so, although results like this might make the Latvian FA think "what's the point". If qualification was just for the smaller teams then teams like Latvia might have a chance of qualification and that might make them take it more seriously.

I suppose so, although results like this might make the Latvian FA think "what's the point". If qualification was just for the smaller teams then teams like Latvia might have a chance of qualification and that might make them take it more seriously.
It hasn't made the San Marino men's team think 'what's the point'. You keep going, trying to improve. As SBH said, you get tonked but you are still getting exposure. Good luck to them

Last edited:
It hasn't made the San Marino men's team think 'what's the point'. You keep going, trying to improve. As SBH said, you get tonked but you are still getting exposure. Good luck to them
I think it's also the fact that they get to represent their country at something. Regardless of the score I assume they consider that a huge honour.

Maybe I'll get flak but - what is the point? It's not football, it's a sad spectacle. England had 63 shots at goal! These teams are just canon fodder, just a way to pump up goal difference. I doubt they'll improve, just lose heart. I know I would.

Women's football remains rather uncompetitive unless you're at the very top levels, as we found out with the 20-0 scoreline the other night.

I find that you only start seeing quality once you get past the group stages of a Euros or World Cup. A lot of the teams are thrown in there as filler really.

Not quite sure how you cure that issue because you need investment and levelling-up of the tiers below the WSL to create a really solid league structure in which players can develop. To achieve that it has to be at least partially commercially viable to attract the necessary investment.

To compare tier one of the English women's game to tier 5 of the men's game, here's an attendance comparison
  • Chelsea vs Birmingham WSL (1st tier women's) - 2,704
  • Southend vs Woking NL (5th tier men's) - 5,821
When a team that has struggled for 3 years, with hardly any idea of what a 'win' even is can somehow still attract over 2x the amount of fans as a top WSL side, you can see why the Ryan Reynolds and other such investors would rather jump into the men's pyramid at a lower level.

Granted women's football is still in it's early days when you consider how long the men's game has been about but there is a long way to go if people want it to really take off.

There again the mens game was never restricted by (a highly chauvinistic) FA for half a century.

There again the mens game was never restricted by (a highly chauvinistic) FA for half a century.
Point granted but if you took my last post as critique, it was most certainly not. Just the real problems that the women's game currently faces.

Back