• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England V Panama

mattitouk

Life President
Deli Alli missed training today due to a thigh injury. (possibly the Belgium game also).

Will he be missed??

I expect Rashford to come in over Sterling & maybe Vardy to start with Kane.

It's Panama, so worth the risk.

Deli Alli missed training today due to a thigh injury. (possibly the Belgium game also).

Will he be missed??

I expect Rashford to come in over Vardy to start with Kane.

Alli went missing for most of the Tunisia game as well and should have come off a lot earlier.

I think Delph may replace him, leaving Loftus-Cheek as an impact sub.

I'd stick with Sterling. I don't understand people's agenda with him. Is it Liverpool fans frustrated that he moved to a bigger club?

For my money Vardy shouldn't have even been in the squad. I'd go Rashford and Welbeck ahead of him.

Can any of the French expats advise what channels the Panama game will be on in France?

I'm flying to France on Sunday and should see all the 2nd half but I can't see the game being shown on French mainstream TV?

Alli went missing for most of the Tunisia game as well and should have come off a lot earlier.

I'd stick with Sterling. I don't understand people's agenda with him. Is it Liverpool fans frustrated that he moved to a bigger club?

For my money Vardy shouldn't have even been in the squad. I'd go Rashford and Welbeck ahead of him.

I think the frustration with Sterling is that he hasn't performed as well for England as he does at club level. Two goals in 39 caps is not a great record. He's being played out of position at the moment anyway, so I'd go with Rashford against Panama. And if Alli has an injury then it's not worth risking him, plus Loftus-Cheek had a positive impact when he came on the other night.

I expect the back 3/5 will be the same but I wouldn't be confident with Walker at centre-back against stronger opposition. I'd start Cahill against Belgium but then who do you drop? Trippier was impressive against Tunisia.

That's strange. Beinsports is a private TV channel in Spain.All the world cup games here are being shown live on terrrestial TV.I'd imagine that's also true for France ,so expect to see the games on TF1 etc.Yogi will be able to tell you for certain.

I'll be in France for the round of 16 matches startiing on Sat.30th June and wouldn't expect there being any problem seeing them on terrestial tv.Otherwise I'm sure you'll be able to find a congenial cafe/bar near wherevever you're staying.

Disagree with pretty much all of this.

In the first 20 minutes, Alli was our best player, creating multiple goal-scoring opportunities and setting the tone with his closing down of Tunisia. He then picked up a knock and should have come off, but I don't think you can accuse him of "going missing", it should have been up to the management to make that decision.

Delph has been playing left back all season, why would you put him in an attacking midfield role ahead of someone who had a great end to the season playing there and has already shown he can have an impact?

Sterling has been very poor for England for a number of years. As I said on another thread, this isn't because he is a bad player, but maybe he can't handle the pressures of playing for England. For someone recently playing as a striker, scoring 2 goals in 39 caps is shocking at best. Panama has to be his last chance if he does start, if he doesn't perform in that game how can anyone make a case for him staying in the team?

I am not sure how you can even suggest the last part... Vardy scored 20 goals in the Premier League last season and offers a threat against teams that will play a high line (hopefully when we get through the group stages or even against Belguim). How you can say he shouldn't have even been in the squad is crazy... Who would you have picked instead?

I always think of Ian Wright, never failed to score 20+ goals in premiership, but England woeful 9 goals in 33 games and four in one match v San Marino, and to think he was a given a trial at Southend :nope:

I always though Wright just offered goals as a player, many will disagree, but Sterling offers something else, so really hope Southgate gives him a run out, or maybe as papers like to say he is" dropped", or maybe Southgate is taking the heat off him and will play him v Belgium, we will find out Sunday

The press love a player to put down and sadly Sterling is the figure this world cup :angry::angry:
Its coming home ....

Disagree with pretty much all of this.

In the first 20 minutes, Alli was our best player, creating multiple goal-scoring opportunities and setting the tone with his closing down of Tunisia. He then picked up a knock and should have come off, but I don't think you can accuse him of "going missing", it should have been up to the management to make that decision.

Delph has been playing left back all season, why would you put him in an attacking midfield role ahead of someone who had a great end to the season playing there and has already shown he can have an impact?

Sterling has been very poor for England for a number of years. As I said on another thread, this isn't because he is a bad player, but maybe he can't handle the pressures of playing for England. For someone recently playing as a striker, scoring 2 goals in 39 caps is shocking at best. Panama has to be his last chance if he does start, if he doesn't perform in that game how can anyone make a case for him staying in the team?

I am not sure how you can even suggest the last part... Vardy scored 20 goals in the Premier League last season and offers a threat against teams that will play a high line (hopefully when we get through the group stages or even against Belguim). How you can say he shouldn't have even been in the squad is crazy... Who would you have picked instead?

I was only commenting on Alli's impact on the game, which you seem to agree.

For this match I'd prefer the solidity of a more defensive minded player (who still offers things going forward) to start with the option of the more attacking option off the bench if needed.

Is Premier League form relevant or not? You seem to think it is for Vardy but not for Sterling.

When I've watched England I see quality in Sterling that I haven't in Vardy. It's also ridiculous suggesting it's the last chance for someone who is 23.

I always think of Ian Wright, never failed to score 20+ goals in premiership, but England woeful 9 goals in 33 games and four in one match v San Marino, and to think he was a given a trial at Southend :nope:

I always though Wright just offered goals as a player, many will disagree, but Sterling offers something else, so really hope Southgate gives him a run out, or maybe as papers like to say he is" dropped", or maybe Southgate is taking the heat off him and will play him v Belgium, we will find out Sunday

The press love a player to put down and sadly Sterling is the figure this world cup :angry::angry:
Its coming home ....

For Sterling or Vardy?

I always think of Ian Wright when it comes to Vardy. Both from non-league backgrounds who made it late, both didn't look like cutting it at international level.

Wright > Vardy at club level tho'

I was only commenting on Alli's impact on the game, which you seem to agree.

For this match I'd prefer the solidity of a more defensive minded player (who still offers things going forward) to start with the option of the more attacking option off the bench if needed.

Is Premier League form relevant or not? You seem to think it is for Vardy but not for Sterling.

When I've watched England I see quality in Sterling that I haven't in Vardy. It's also ridiculous suggesting it's the last chance for someone who is 23.

You want to play a more defensive team against the worst team in the group? What is your reasoning behind this, bearing in mind Tunisia created hardly anything against us in the first game?

Premier League form is relevant, yes, and as I said, Sterling is not a bad player, just simply not good enough when he plays for England and certainly not recently. When was the last time he actually had a good game for his country? He has been poor for a long time at International level and when you compare that to the impact that Rashford has had, you can see why people are questioning Sterling's place in the team. I am also not suggesting it is his last chance for England, but certainly as a starter in this World Cup. If Sterling is poor against Panama would you continue to carry him through the tournament because you have seen "quality" in him, despite him being in poor form? I would personally call that weak management if they do continue to do so.

As for Vardy he isn't the most gifted player in the squad but he offers something different against teams that will play a high line. He also has 7 goals in what have largely been 22 substitute appearances for England. I also did not say Vardy should start, but how you can say he shouldn't be in the squad is crazy.

For Sterling or Vardy?

I always think of Ian Wright when it comes to Vardy. Both from non-league backgrounds who made it late, both didn't look like cutting it at international level.

Wright > Vardy at club level tho'

Me massive Sterling fan

And prefer Vardy over Wright if I picked a team

Start Rashford,then bring on Sterling with about 20 minutes to go,if all is going to plan.Think Panama might kick Sterling of the park,if he plays the whole game.
An early goal will settle us down,i hoping for 3-0.....or more

You want to play a more defensive team against the worst team in the group? What is your reasoning behind this, bearing in mind Tunisia created hardly anything against us in the first game?

Premier League form is relevant, yes, and as I said, Sterling is not a bad player, just simply not good enough when he plays for England and certainly not recently. When was the last time he actually had a good game for his country? He has been poor for a long time at International level and when you compare that to the impact that Rashford has had, you can see why people are questioning Sterling's place in the team. I am also not suggesting it is his last chance for England, but certainly as a starter in this World Cup. If Sterling is poor against Panama would you continue to carry him through the tournament because you have seen "quality" in him, despite him being in poor form? I would personally call that weak management if they do continue to do so.

As for Vardy he isn't the most gifted player in the squad but he offers something different against teams that will play a high line. He also has 7 goals in what have largely been 22 substitute appearances for England. I also did not say Vardy should start, but how you can say he shouldn't be in the squad is crazy.

I want the ability to win the ball back higher up the pitch, which will also help the attacking game. Dier would be the defensive replacement. Delph is more attacking and offers a balance between attack and defence.

I don't think England have been carrying Sterling in recent matches. He creates space and is someone opposing teams fear. He hasn't completely fulfilled his potential at international level yet but that doesn't mean he hasn't contributed. I missed the Nigeria match as I was mid-air but I thought he was lively against Netherlands and Italy. And yes I'd say it's strong management to show faith in a player you believe in rather than be swayed by media/public opinion.

I'm not opposed to finding room in the starting line-up for Rashford, who I also rate highly, but my understanding was that he was carrying an injury and missed training earlier in the week.

Me massive Sterling fan

And prefer Vardy over Wright if I picked a team

I'm with you on the latter point, Blueronron. I love Wrighty but he's certainly carrying extra timber these days. Though obviously those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I'm with you on the latter point, Blueronron. I love Wrighty but he's certainly carrying extra timber these days. Though obviously those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

And then some. Saw him on the box the other night and thought, yeah, girdle time. He's blind as a bat as well without the bins but they quite suit him.

Yeah - still think he looks a cool dude. And he seems a top bloke too. Met him once in a pub just off Upper St. - The Compton Arms. It was the summer of '95 and it was a weekday lunchtime. He was drinking Stella and had his foot up on a stool and wearing open-topped sandals as he had to get air to a foot injury. I said that I hoped him and Stan could get in TV's England team for the Euros. He liked that.

Back