• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v Tunisia

Was pleasantly surprised at how well the young Lions did, even with a sub standard Alli. Walker was incredibly stupid in how he gave the penalty away, but, with that having been given, I really struggled to comprehend how one was not given for the blatant fouling of Kane in the box during two or three corners. Thought that was the whole purpose of VAR?

I thought the ref was quite weak, should definitely have given a yellow card to the player who refused to move back from that free kick in the 2nd half, though Trippier must have gained about 10' by continually throwing the ball forward! Lingard should have had a hat-trick in the first half, so it was just as well Kane knew where the net was when it mattered.

I think that was a better 90mins than any tournament game we played in 2014 or 2016. We created loads and had that soft penalty not been given and we got one of the 2 stonewall penalties we deserved, it would have been an easy commanding victory. Sterling needs to be dropped for Rashford next game but I think there is a lot to be positive about, which I haven't said for many years now!

yes I think there's more positives than negatives and a lot to work with. I'd give Sterling another go.

yes I think there's more positives than negatives and a lot to work with. I'd give Sterling another go.

You have to play Sterling, the guy is in outstanding form and I believe Southgate will inspire confidence in players who feel they are not achieving

To me Sterling is the German Sane and look how they looked without him

I find it sad if Germany, Brazil, France had scored in the last minute people would say they play to the full 90 mins, when its us its how lucky cannot see us getting out of match 4

Go on Three Lions nothing to fear except the gutter sniping press and those English people who love to moan even if we win

Agree with the first point, not sure about the second. I thought Rashford and Loftus-Cheek grabbed their opportunity to shine with both hands and should be probably be rewarded with a start against Panama. That said, I expect Southgate to stick with the same starting 11 unless Dele's injury rules him out.

Agree with the first point, not sure about the second. I thought Rashford and Loftus-Cheek grabbed their opportunity to shine with both hands and should be probably be rewarded with a start against Panama. That said, I expect Southgate to stick with the same starting 11 unless Dele's injury rules him out.

Thought Rashford and L-C did well against tiring defence. Sterling did enough in my opinion to start next game.

I am a Sterling fan but it was the same old Sterling in an England shirt, running with the ball either into trouble or out of play. He had an absolute stinker. There is something mentally not right when he puts on an England shirt, it gets to him. It's not like we lack other options in Rashford and Vardy who both have pace and are comfortable on the ball. Don't think we should risk trying to play him into form when we have options

I am not sure how anyone who watched that game could think of starting Sterling in the next one. Others were guilty of missing chances (Lingard being the main culprit), but Sterling was shocking. He constantly gave the ball away, slowed the game down when in promising positions, fell over the ball and ran himself into trouble. He simply doesn't suit the formation and style of play that Southgate is trying to instill and should be dropped in the next game for Rashford. That is not to say he is a bad player, but simply that he hasn't performed for a long long time for England, and how many more chances do you give him?

I'd play Sterling again. If the team could finish and we didn't have some ridiculous decisions go against us we could of actually won that game 5-0 and that's being conservative. First half we were class, second half Tunisia put all their players behind the ball and we found it hard to break down like Germany, France, Brazil and Argentina struggled against those tactics. When Tunisia come at us first half we were opening them up easily and the gulf in class was there to be seen.

If we can beat Belgium in match 3 (and that's a big if) then a match 4 game against Colombia/Senegal or Japan should be winnable.Not sure a match against Poland would be.

Looking at the (pointless) FIFA rankings, Colombia are only 4 behind England at 16 so not easy match in the last 16 either way. Should Senegal or Japan make it then it's an easier route into the the last 8.

Looking at the (pointless) FIFA rankings, Colombia are only 4 behind England at 16 so not easy match in the last 16 either way. Should Senegal or Japan make it then it's an easier route into the the last 8.
Either way, we'll have a better idea about our possible second round opponents (should we get that far) by 6pm today...

As our younger daughter has started working in Colombia this week, I'll be giving them my support in the tournament (not against England of course).:winking:

Talking about FIFA rankings weren't Russia ranked below Saudi Arabia at the start of the tournament? :unsure:

Have to go for the win, in which you think are the weakest team in the group, and then all most certainly qualify unless Tunisia upset Belgium

Keep the same team providing no injuries being carried forward

Then pressure all on Belgium to beat us to qualify

Go on Three Lions be bold and go for it from minute one

I cannot understand the negativity. First half we played as well as anybody has in this tournament to date (with the exception of Mexico) and second-half was total England possession against a well-organised defence. Look how Brazil struggled to break down the Swiss and Argentina with Iceland. It is no easy task. We kept going and got the deserved winner.

The goal conceded is as soft a penalty as I have ever seen whereas we should have had two for the Ippon's on Kane (and Maguire too on one of them).

So with Sterling there's an argument that could be made that he's been the best English player this season. He's had an incredible season with goals, assists and team success. 23 goals and 17 assists in 46 games is exceptional.

So the goal is to hopefully see him transform that into England performances. He'll have an easier game against Panama who have to try and get a result against us and aren't as good as Tunisia. If he doesn't perform (and assuming we comfortably win) then we can change things for the Belgium game potentially which isn't quite as important and would give Rashford (IMO) the chance to stake a claim to play alongside Kane.

So with Sterling there's an argument that could be made that he's been the best English player this season. He's had an incredible season with goals, assists and team success. 23 goals and 17 assists in 46 games is exceptional.

So the goal is to hopefully see him transform that into England performances. He'll have an easier game against Panama who have to try and get a result against us and aren't as good as Tunisia. If he doesn't perform (and assuming we comfortably win) then we can change things for the Belgium game potentially which isn't quite as important and would give Rashford (IMO) the chance to stake a claim to play alongside Kane.

The John Barnes of the current generation,

Back