• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v Tunisia

To start with, universal approval from everyone? ...............that we made The Guardian this morning. Does anyone know who it was?

"The Volgograd Arena is a striking thing, rising up suddenly out of the low skyline like a giant, lighted wicker basket at the foot of Mamayev Kurgan, the plateau above the city. Around the bleachers before kick-off there was the usual pageantry of these summer mobilisations, a journey around the isles in hand-painted flags, from Rochdale to Southend to Stoke, up the Tyne, Forth and Cromarty."

I've watched so many World Cup openers, I don't care to remember. Cautious, often solid but stilted, rigid, uncreative performances, played with the heavy burden of responsibility on their shoulders. So, the opening twenty minutes last night were, in many ways, a revelation, a pleasure to watch. Of course we should have been out of sight by then and as I wrote on my FB page,
"If you don't take your chances, you risk not winning matches!"

I think, in light of those missed opportunities, the penalty decision which gave them their equaliser, was a hard blow to morale, as well as confidence. If we hadn't got that late winner, excuses about the refereeing and the penalties we should of had could have sounded like sour grapes. No one has talked about the temperatures in Volgograd (not to mention the midgies).........could the heat (or at least warmth) have effected the second-half performance, when we were evidently nowhere near as sharp as that opening period?
Anyway a win is a win and it's often better to start slowly, than be brilliant in your openers...........and then fade out. Don't know how far we're going to get in this tournament but, win or lose, I'd prefer to be entertained by watching England, as was the case for quite a lot of the game last night, than put up with turgid performances and exits at the first or second hurdle. Really looking forward to the Belgium game, which promises a lot.
Incidently, going back to the midgies, I think I may be rather worried if I was in that stadium last night. Evidently, the Russians are not going to let ANYTHING get in the way of the smooth running of this event...........especially not a small plague of insects. Apparently they were dealt with ruthlessly, by an airborn spraying of insecticide............perhaps it's better NOT to know what was being poured down on you, as well as the midgies! :smile:

As our younger daughter has started working in Colombia this week, I'll be giving them my support in the tournament (not against England of course).:winking:

Talking about FIFA rankings weren't Russia ranked below Saudi Arabia at the start of the tournament? :unsure:

FIFA ranking system make no sense to anyone other to FIFA, Swiss currently ranked 6th (yet Spain 10th....)

I cannot understand the negativity. First half we played as well as anybody has in this tournament to date (with the exception of Mexico) and second-half was total England possession against a well-organised defence. Look how Brazil struggled to break down the Swiss and Argentina with Iceland. It is no easy task. We kept going and got the deserved winner.

The goal conceded is as soft a penalty as I have ever seen whereas we should have had two for the Ippon's on Kane (and Maguire too on one of them).

:hilarious: Did you see the Portugal/Spain game?

With Harry Kane in the side England will always have a chance but they left it very late.Can you imagine what the reaction would have been if it had finished a 1-1 draw?

And Poland ranked 8th.:smiles:

And? I was comparing the farce that the Swiss, who I reckon most would regards as not a top ten side, are ranked higher than a team that surely should be ranked by FIFA within the top ten if not top few places....or do you not agree?

And? I was comparing the farce that the Swiss, who I reckon most would regards as not a top ten side, are ranked higher than a team that surely should be ranked by FIFA within the top ten if not top few places....or do you not agree?

I'm not sure most people watch enough international football to really know where a side like Switzerland should be ranked. I certainly don't.

Last World Cup though they made it to the last 16 (where they drew with Argentina over 90 minutes but went out in extra time). That would suggest they were somewhere between 9-16th best in the world.

Since then in qualifying they finished on the same number of points as Portugal in their qualifying group (beating them at home, but losing to them away, their only points dropped) and were undefeated in the Euros (despite being in France's group) only going out on penalties.

So this is a team that in competitive matches has gone toe-to-toe with the likes of Argentina, Portugal and France and over 90 minutes held their own.

I don't think the FIFA rankings are great, but I suspect the discrepancy between most people's perceptions and reality is as off as the FIFA rankings, and the truth is somewhere between the two.

I mentioned Poland's 8th position in the FIFA rankings just after they'd been soundly beaten by Senegal.No idea exactly where Senegal are ranked but I'm sure it's considerably lower than 8th.

I would certainly agree that Spain deserve to be ranked much higher than 10th,btw.

See YB's comments in post 68 for a sound assessment of Switzerland in particular and FIFA rankings in general.The Swiss do normally make it through the group stage in tournaments.

like to see the FA make an official complaint about these "strange" decisions,which seem to happen often against us.Im sure other countries,like Germany,Spain ,France,Argies etc would kick up a stink.Maybe we have,im not sure as im in Germany.
Germany,a country which is at the moment in turmoil:hilarious:
Sweden game will be hard,will watch it with my last few German friends....and if Sweden win...i will end up with none

Not sure if this has been mentioned (apologies, I’ve not read the whole thread) but Brazil have officially complained to FIFA about VAR decisions in their match against Switzerland. Ironic, considering the lead VAR official in England’s match was Brazilian!

Back