• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England vs Kazakhstan

seany t

President
Well first 45 nowhere near as bad as ITV2's inept commentators would have us believe. Our opponents look very well organized in fact.

Finding it hard to break them down though. Most of our goals look to have come from counter attacks in recent matches, and I still think that's where we look our best; quick passing, swift movement and first time shooting. These guys aren't allowing us to do that, and neither Frank or Stevie are sadly giving us the inventiveness of Joe Cole.

Heskeys done ok, and Browns looked very at home. And I think Capello is right; Wembley does us no favours - it's like a morgue with a stupidly low camera viewpoint. But we're passing it well and have options. Which is more than we did under McLaren.

I know that's not going to win us games, but today is not about our foes. It's about getting a point or three and settling our North London nerves...

Just got a text from a mate who is there.

"Can't believe I'm here watching this shower of ****e, second half better be better"

Fair play to Kaz, they have played very well and done themselves proud, and to be fair when given the chance the attacked in numbers. Fitness was always going to be their downfall, and waiting till they tire to kill them does not bother me at all. 3 points is fine, 1-0 would have done

Fair play to Kaz, they have played very well and done themselves proud, and to be fair when given the chance the attacked in numbers. Fitness was always going to be their downfall, and waiting till they tire to kill them does not bother me at all. 3 points is fine, 1-0 would have done

"Are you Tilly in disguise?"

Just kidding. But to be fair, I totally agree. The commentating bafoons failed to acknowledge that our opponents played out of their skins. They looked very organized and solid until we rattled their cage and their effort caught up with them.

We didn't deserve 5, but equally could have had 7 if SWP learnt to pass sideways.

As ever though, great to see Dave on home soil. I'll miss him when he goes...

We are led to believe that Fabio is a tactical genius. Kazakhstan played as well as they could but looked vulnerable to crosses. We have the best crosser of the ball, possibly in the history of the game, and a 6'6" striker on the bench. One comes on for 15 minutes (where we actually look quite good - although fitness is obviously a factor) and the other stays on the bench.

I realise I'm over-simplifying - Heskey played well in the second half and deserved a goal, and how could you drop Walcott after Zagreb? But Becks HAD to play at least a half against a keeper who could stop shots but flapped at crosses.

We are led to believe that Fabio is a tactical genius. Kazakhstan played as well as they could but looked vulnerable to crosses. We have the best crosser of the ball, possibly in the history of the game, and a 6'6" striker on the bench. One comes on for 15 minutes (where we actually look quite good - although fitness is obviously a factor) and the other stays on the bench.

I realise I'm over-simplifying - Heskey played well in the second half and deserved a goal, and how could you drop Walcott after Zagreb? But Becks HAD to play at least a half against a keeper who could stop shots but flapped at crosses.

Against the likes of Kazakhstan I'd be tempted to play Beckham for his set piece delivery alone. His fantastic range of passing would just be a bonus on top of that. The reason Sven had such a good qualifying record was because Beckham would temporarily drag England out of mediocrity with a set piece. One goal is pretty much all these types of games need (Ashley Cole aberrations aside).

Key reason for our improvement in the second half was Gerrard not giving the ball away as much. He's had 70 odd caps now and has produced a good 45 minutes against Andorra and that is about it.

Wright-Phillips showed in his sub appearance that he hasn't lost his inability to sniff out a blind alley to run up. The reason he was crap previously for England wasn't because he was short of confidence, but was because he just is crap - although he is short. In fact the only justification for having him on the bench is for the comedy double substitution with Crouchinho. Surely Ashley Young would have been a better option, especially on the left. Despite Spurs' lack of confidence and their lack of form and first team football I'd rather both Bentley and Lennon over SWP.

Upson just showed why its such a shame Ledley King and Woodgate aren't ever fit and made you wonder why Micah Richards was named in the u21s (even if he had to withdraw through injury) rather than the full squad. Wheater and Lescott look better options as well.

On the positive side, Walcott had a great first 45 minutes, Rooney is a class act and Heskey was a handful.

Last edited:
Why is it their keeper becomes world class only when Heskey shoots!! Poor Emile

I'm glad someone said that. I didn't see the second half, but listened to the commentary on the radio, and that's exactly what it sounded like.

I was expecting the usual unreasonable tripe about how crap he is and how he shouldn't even be in the squad.

It's a very minor point but why is it that when Lampard's free kick was going towards the goal and it deflects off the defender's head, it's not credited to him?

Booing of Ashley Cole by England fans. Justified or not?

I hate hearing fans booing their own players but for that disgusting sh*te I am prepared to accept it as being okay.

Wright-Phillips showed in his sub appearance that he hasn't lost his inability to sniff out a blind alley to run up. The reason he was crap previously for England wasn't because he was short of confidence, but was because he just is crap - although he is short
I assume Setanta are showing both Manc teams this weekend.

Made me chuckle when I saw their latest web ad on Soccerbase:

'All these stars in one City!!'

Followed by a quick montage:

Ronaldo!
Robinho!
Tevez!
Wright-Phillips!

Erm hang on.....

Against the likes of Kazakhstan I'd be tempted to play Beckham for his set piece delivery alone. His fantastic range of passing would just be a bonus on top of that. The reason Sven had such a good qualifying record was because Beckham would temporarily drag England out of mediocrity with a set piece. One goal is pretty much all these types of games need (Ashley Cole aberrations aside).

Key reason for our improvement in the second half was Gerrard not giving the ball away as much. He's had 70 odd caps now and has produced a good 45 minutes against Andorra and that is about it.

Wright-Phillips showed in his sub appearance that he hasn't lost his inability to sniff out a blind alley to run up. The reason he was crap previously for England wasn't because he was short of confidence, but was because he just is crap - although he is short. In fact the only justification for having him on the bench is for the comedy double substitution with Crouchinho. Surely Ashley Young would have been a better option, especially on the left. Despite Spurs' lack of confidence and their lack of form and first team football I'd rather both Bentley and Lennon over SWP.

Upson just showed why its such a shame Ledley King and Woodgate aren't ever fit and made you wonder why Micah Richards was named in the u21s (even if he had to withdraw through injury) rather than the full squad. Wheater and Lescott look better options as well.

On the positive side, Walcott had a great first 45 minutes, Rooney is a class act and Heskey was a handful.

Blimey. I agree with all of that. Except Richards, who I think is over-rated.

I think the reason Richards/Wheater were in the U21 squad was that so they can definetly qualify for the U21 Champs and it guarantee's them a game, whereby they would have probably just sat on the bench on Saturday evening instead!

Kev

Wembley does us no favours - it's like a morgue with a stupidly low camera viewpoint. quote]

Rebuilding Wembley was a big mistake by the FA, should have stuck with using different club grounds around the country.
In theory will get bigger crowds at Wembley and make more dosh but will take years to pay off the cost of rebuilding it.
I fear it won't be long before we're back to half empty Wembley for many internationals.
A full-house at somewhere like Sunderland or Middlesbrough (or Villa Park or even Southampton for that matter) has got to be better than a half-empty Wembley.

Wembley does us no favours - it's like a morgue with a stupidly low camera viewpoint. quote]

Rebuilding Wembley was a big mistake by the FA, should have stuck with using different club grounds around the country.
In theory will get bigger crowds at Wembley and make more dosh but will take years to pay off the cost of rebuilding it.
I fear it won't be long before we're back to half empty Wembley for many internationals.
A full-house at somewhere like Sunderland or Middlesbrough (or Villa Park or even Southampton for that matter) has got to be better than a half-empty Wembley.

Don't forget Wembley isn't just used for football.

Back