• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England vs Mexico

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
With the final squad being announced in about a weeks time, the next few days will shape the likes of Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson and Darren Bents' summer.

The England starting line up is as follows:

Green, Johnson, Baines, Ferdinand, King, Walcott, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner, Crouch, Rooney

Hart has been promised 45 minutes so I expect to see him make an appearance at half time, along with the likes of Bent, Johnson, Huddlestone and Parker.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of friendlies more than any other friendlies because I want to see some of the newer players given a chance to impress rather than the usual lot go through the motions.

Rumour has it Bent has tweaked his hamstring and is unlikely to feature.

Thought he would miss out on the final 23 to be honest, but its a gutter for him to miss one of his last chances to impress.

Pleased that Hart will get 45 minutes.

Mexico have a good team out. Rodriguez, Giovani, Franco and Vela will be very good on the attacking side. I think the teenager that signed for Man United is on the bench.

Last edited:
Good points
- Green has made some great saves
- Walcott has been full of running
- Good set pieces

Bad points
- Baines has been done easily
- Awful defending for their goal
- Walcott still has no end product
- Carrick hasn't made any decent passes

Improvements
- Need to get Rooney and Crouch more into it, but avoid the hoof ball tactic
- Get Baines off

He'll have tore them a new arse hole at half time. Baines and Carrick can't go to the World Cup on performances like that.

Hernandez on, the new Man United signing.

Defoe on for Crouch. Isn't it a fact that Defoe and Rooney have never scored when up front together.

Good to see Hart and Carragher on.

Great goal. Carrick surely on his way home, as crap as he always is for England. Surely more sense to give Hudd or Parker a run in the middle. Ashley Cole, Lamps and Terry back in the team will make it much stronger so looking pretty good. Goals from all over the pitch is a big bonus too. Cant just rely on Rooney.

Would like to see Parker on for Carrick soon and maybe Adam Johnson given 20-30 minutes.

we could/should have been losing at half time, same old england unable to even pass simply to each other, wallcott should be world class but he does not have that football brain to really be considered a worldy, lennon still No1 for me, if we didnt have ashley cole at left back I wouldnt even bother watching the world cup, baines is shocking at this level, 2nd half much better capello obviously ripped the **** out of em at half time and it showed, a stunning strike from johnson. A pretty predictable show that outside of our first 11 we dont have the class to compete on the big stage, even king looked lead footed and he has been very good in the league, milner is a decent worker, my 1st 11 for the usa game would be green
johnson rio terry cole
lennon barry(if fit) lamps gerrardd
rooney crouch

Green pulled out a #1 performance in the first half. No one else really stood out though. Walcott failed to produce, and Lennon showed him up when he came on. Gerrard was very poor, and so was Carrick (who I wouldn't take). Rooney was also pretty poor but I thought Crouch was his usual self and Defoe looked quite lively. I like Baines, but he had a poor night, and King took a while to get into it... time he won't have in a WC.

The attacking subs all looked lively.

Gerrard had one of his better games for England as that was probably a 6/10 performance for him. Carrick was abysmal and England really missed Lampard.

a 50/50 performance by england, imo

king looked good, rio looked suspect. johnson's goal was sublime

gerrard grew in stature once he was in centre mid & had the armband

theo was rinsing the full back with no final product

green pulled off some good saves, but still managed to let 1 shot bounce 10 yards off his chest

carrick :headbang:, please take huddlestone or/and parker instead fabio

On the basis of that performance anyone who thinks England are going to actually win the World Cup this summer must be barmy.
Let's face it England's second goal was a)offside and b) handball.
Reality check-Mexico will struggle to qualify from their group, which to be fair includes France,South Africa and Uruguay.Yet for long periods of the game their possesion and passing were much sharper than England's.They were much quicker too.They can't however defend from set pieces which will ensure they get an early flight home.

Last edited:
Back