• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England & Wembley

very interesting,good stuff..makes you even more sad being an england fan,what "the f.a" turn their hand too,they mess up.Would love to have seen them keep the twin towers or even most of that side..What the "FA" paid for the new Wembley,the Germans built either 2 or 3 new grounds and renovated another 12,what a waste of money

Even speaking as someone who lives relatively close to Wembley, I'd like to see England games played around the country again. However, the FA said today that we're still a good eight or nine years away from that as they need to pay for Wembley first.

Last edited:
Hayward's a ****ing lunatic. Wembley is the FA's principal asset and in today's market would recoup nowhere near the £757m it invested into the stadium's redevelopment. I'd like to see the FA try to justify such a sale and loss while simultaneously giving up one of its largest sources of future revenue. Say we managed to get £500m for it, how long is that going to last? 10 years? 15 years? And then what? The reserves run out and we're subject to landlord demands and complications.

If this is to focus solely on the amount being reinvested into grassroots or youth football then this isn't the argument that needs to be had. The real issue here is how much third parties remove from the game, rather than what the governing body puts in. Agents need to be reined in and the Premier League needs to put up or shut up. Revenue from TV deals alone is to top £5bn now that rights are split between BT and Sky. The FA's broadcast income for 12/13 was comparatively paltry £34m and total revenue for that period fell to £299m. It's time for the Premier League to put up or shut up. No longer should they be able to hide behind the argument that they contribute their fair share.

That said it's clear that England games - at least friendlies - should be taken on the road again. I see no problem with playing the odd friendly around the country while continuing to have competitive fixtures at Wembley. Pricing needs to be looked at as well.

Hayward's a ****ing lunatic. Wembley is the FA's principal asset and in today's market would recoup nowhere near the £757m it invested into the stadium's redevelopment. I'd like to see the FA try to justify such a sale and loss while simultaneously giving up one of its largest sources of future revenue. Say we managed to get £500m for it, how long is that going to last? 10 years? 15 years? And then what? The reserves run out and we're subject to landlord demands and complications.

If this is to focus solely on the amount being reinvested into grassroots or youth football then this isn't the argument that needs to be had. The real issue here is how much third parties remove from the game, rather than what the governing body puts in. Agents need to be reined in and the Premier League needs to put up or shut up. Revenue from TV deals alone is to top £5bn now that rights are split between BT and Sky. The FA's broadcast income for 12/13 was comparatively paltry £34m and total revenue for that period fell to £299m. It's time for the Premier League to put up or shut up. No longer should they be able to hide behind the argument that they contribute their fair share.

That said it's clear that England games - at least friendlies - should be taken on the road again. I see no problem with playing the odd friendly around the country while continuing to have competitive fixtures at Wembley. Pricing needs to be looked at as well.

Well said.

I agree that friendlies should be on the road, which I guess would actually free Wembley up for some more 'alternative' events like gigs/NFL/boxing etc.

Matt Dickinson in The Times comes to Wembley's defence...

I thought rebuilding Wembley Stadium was a good idea at the time. I still thought so as I walked up beneath its spaghetti arch alongside seven men and a disinterested dog to watch England versus Norway.
I will probably still think it’s a good idea when it is a dusty bowl that has bankrupted the FA and hosts only Take That reunion gigs involving a bald Robbie Williams and a decrepit Gary Barlow in 2049.
I like the idea of a national stadium and I certainly did not like the notion of losing one by turning Wembley into a hypermarket, although plenty of others still seem open to the thought of this historic sporting site becoming a Primark.
It is not only the England team who are under fresh criticism this week, but Wembley Stadium, which is seen as part of the problem. Too big, too expensive, too damned London.
The odd thing is that many of those who have volunteered their complaints would regard themselves as defenders of football’s heritage. And what would be worse vandalism than removing English football from a site that, for almost 100 years, has hosted the national team, the FA Cup Final and a whole lot more besides.
The sparse crowd for the match against Norway has raised renewed calls for taking England around the grounds, a break from Wembley, but you cannot have your cake and your Sir Norman Foster arch.
You cannot sell ten-year debentures at Wembley (try paying for a new stadium in the world’s most expensive city without them) and then say that, actually, we might remove some of those matches for which individuals and companies have already shelled out thousands of pounds.
Playing around the country can have its upsides, especially if it means fewer seats to fill when San Marino are the opposition, but it cannot happen for practical, financial reasons and, in any case, this is all a sideshow (like demanding that players sing the anthem) to the serious debates to be had around the national team, such as finding defensive midfield players and creating more chances. Does anyone seriously believe that a short-lived burst of enthusiasm in Southampton or Birmingham would have made England versus Norway an occasion to savour if it still finished an unconvincing 1-0?
A mediocre England are mediocre wherever they play (there is proof aplenty of that).
As for reconnecting with the fans, that comes from playing constructively, whether the game is staged in Brent or the Amazon.
For the England squad, Wembley is their home and it is their job to make it feel like one. That is not a problem to be shied away from, but a challenge. They must set their sights on filling it, on making the fans come alive.
Interest in the national team has always fluctuated (England’s opening game of the 1966 World Cup finals against Uruguay was a touts’ worst nightmare, with thousands of empty seats), but lay on a purposeful side and the fans will always return. The problem lies in a team, not a building.
The argument is put forward that Wembley itself is a barrier to a successful national side because it is draining the game of funds. It is true that there has been a steep annual cost since the FA became a construction company as well as a governing body.
The FA’s plan was that Wembley would help to fund the game, but the point when the organisation could be sitting on a big asset, and not fretting over mortgage payments, may be more than a decade away given justified concerns over the renewals of the 17,500 debenture seats by 2017.
That is a concern, yet it does not hold that England would have much better footballers if only all that money had not been spent on concrete. It should be perfectly possible to build a new stadium and apply ourselves intelligently to improved coaching standards.
More money is not always the cure. The FA’s most pressing problem is not increasing its income, but spending what it has far more wisely when barely £50 million of a £300 million turnover goes to grassroots football and just as much, ludicrously, to professional clubs.
Anyone who thinks a lack of money is the greatest barrier to English technique has not been following closely enough.
I like the idea of a national stadium because it provides a unique stage for our footballers to aspire to. Also, because I want London to be the best city in the world in every sense, including sport, which is the case convincingly argued by Simon Inglis in his new book, Played in London. Wembley is one of the cornerstones and, having successfully staged the Champions League final twice in four years, the FA is hopeful of hosting the climactic games of Euro 2020.
Laying on sports events is something we are very good at.
Of course, we also want an England team to be proud of, who can reach the later stages on home soil, and one aspiration should encourage the other, the staging of a tournament fuelling the dreams and ambitions of fans and players. Wembley has that special allure.
It is worth reminding ourselves of that, especially on those nights when the England team are at a low ebb and there are rows of empty seats. Some described it as an ugly sight at a sparse Wembley, but it was still infinitely preferable to the alternatives, such as a housing estate and a supermarket.

Dickinson is about right IMO.

When/if FF is completed with 22000, these seats will only ever be filled when we make the prem or play stunning expansive football in the championship.

The FA are cranks expecting any good crowd after the WC and Norway the visitors.

In truth Wembley is too darn big and should have a capacity of 70000 which guarantees sell out for major finals or indeed SF.

the grounds not too big,the team is too crap..if England were are good team,winning world cups,euro cups,playing good ,exciting football,it would be full.Look at teams like Man.utd,Bayern...winners!!!!both grounds are full, in fact,Bayern are increasing the size of the ground now,cannot get all the fans in..Also what does help.is fair prices,to get in, beer prog etc

I reckon they should let Leyton Orient play from there seeing as they wouldnt allow them to share with the spammers :smile::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

The problem with Wembley is the FA can't afford it. So they do what they usually do, and try and milk the fans for money. Last week, the week before we were due to head out to Switzerland, a week after the Estonia away tickets went on sale, a fortnight after they announced the Scotland friendly (hotels and travel needs to be booked immiediately or we get stung by price hikes), the FA decided they wanted us to purchase the tickets for the next three home games, in order to obtain the £5 discount our £65 membership entitles us to. The third of these three games doesn't take place until March 2015, six months away. This campaign, they have decided in a bid to fill Wembley, changed the loyalty system and now award anyone who turns up to a meaningless friendly twice the amount of loyalty caps as someone that travels half way across Europe to watch England in a qualifying game. Because they don't benefit from England fans supporting their nation abroad, therefore loyal fans are't of any real benefit, it's those that fill their gaping big money fit that they seek to incentivise and reward now. The fact they are so desparately and far in advance milking the ever depleting cash cow (us fans) is worrying? I can't imagine what they need the money for? Why should tens of thousands of fans money sit in the FA's account for six months earning interest whilst fans are being asked to fork out money hand over fist.

I love the new Wembley, I really do. I'm proud it's our national stadium. But that pride shouldn't come at the cost of the customers.

Dickinson is about right IMO.

When/if FF is completed with 22000, these seats will only ever be filled when we make the prem or play stunning expansive football in the championship.

The FA are cranks expecting any good crowd after the WC and Norway the visitors.

In truth Wembley is too darn big and should have a capacity of 70000 which guarantees sell out for major finals or indeed SF.

If you build a stadium that is full every week you have built one that is too small and you are losing money.

The problem with Wembley is the FA can't afford it. So they do what they usually do, and try and milk the fans for money. Last week, the week before we were due to head out to Switzerland, a week after the Estonia away tickets went on sale, a fortnight after they announced the Scotland friendly (hotels and travel needs to be booked immiediately or we get stung by price hikes), the FA decided they wanted us to purchase the tickets for the next three home games, in order to obtain the £5 discount our £65 membership entitles us to. The third of these three games doesn't take place until March 2015, six months away. This campaign, they have decided in a bid to fill Wembley, changed the loyalty system and now award anyone who turns up to a meaningless friendly twice the amount of loyalty caps as someone that travels half way across Europe to watch England in a qualifying game. Because they don't benefit from England fans supporting their nation abroad, therefore loyal fans are't of any real benefit, it's those that fill their gaping big money fit that they seek to incentivise and reward now. The fact they are so desparately and far in advance milking the ever depleting cash cow (us fans) is worrying? I can't imagine what they need the money for? Why should tens of thousands of fans money sit in the FA's account for six months earning interest whilst fans are being asked to fork out money hand over fist.

I love the new Wembley, I really do. I'm proud it's our national stadium. But that pride shouldn't come at the cost of the customers.

Henry Winter mentioned on Twitter last night about the 'two caps for Wembley, you're having a laugh' song you guys were singing out there. I can understand why the FA have changed the loyalty points policy, but it stinks. People prepared to take the time off work and spend as much as they do to watch England away - and I'm not one of them! - deserve more than that.

£20 a ticket for the San Marino game. Not bad at all.
Fair price! If there is a shrimpers trust coach going for the game then I would hope we, as a bunch of football fans could fill it ( the coach).
Other coach excursions would/ might simarly attract my arse.

I thought there was a Euro 2020 thread but can't find it so I'll put this here.

England has got the Semi Final & Final! Should be a great occasion.

Dublin & Glasgow also get games.

Great stuff.

Still not sure I like the spread forrmat, but great to see games in those locations and would never have done so if they didnt do it like this.

Yahoo! Be great to see Germany & Spain. Again.

Ah, not to worry, I'm sure they'll stick on a couple of beige people baking a custard tart to be judged by a leering Paul Hollywood and two odious Footlights graduates on BBC2 for you if you ask them nicely. :winking:

Ah, not to worry, I'm sure they'll stick on a couple of beige people baking a custard tart to be judged by a leering Paul Hollywood and two odious Footlights graduates on BBC2 for you if you ask them nicely. :winking:

I bloody hope so! Or I'd rather they'd use Mel & Sue. :raspberry:

Back