• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ENGLAND..Where is all our enthusiasm for the world cup??

ozzie

Manager
I came over for the England v Nigeria game,expecting the country to be buzzing about the world cup,but nothing!!
Wembley crowd was poor again,atmosphere i mean,great attendance...but the feeling was dead.
i wanted to get ,mabe a official world cup t-shirt ..maybe with England onit or something like that,but the shop did not sell anything like it.
I remember many a world cup,even Euro 88,when i left the UK to come over to Germany for the finals,i bought different t-shirts,even got the wife(German) an England Euro 88 sweat shirt,which she wore..
But this year nothing,no song..coins..nothing the apathy seems so sad.
Yes i know Germany are world champions(sadly for me),they are serial winners unlike our lot,but i came back to Germany more "cheesed off"than before.
EVERY supermarket is selling things about Germany ,the place is buzzing(sadly),everywhere you go GERMANY come on,then i come home and....
Even the German commentators,who was at the Nigeria game said how poor the atmosphere is around Wembley and England.....surely we should be more upbeat about the world cup....even if its only 3 games:omg:

In my case, I was so ****ed off with the sorry excuse in Brasil that I swore to myself that I wouldn't build up my hopes concerning England again. If we do well then great, if we roll over like last time then I won't have put myself in a position to feel utter disappointment and disgust again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The atmosphere at Wembley is always poor to be honest, the game at Elland Road on Thursday was much better or appeared that way on the TV anyway.

Both so true,but its also about buying things like T-shirts,getting coins from Esso,supermarkets,etc.....and also for me/us older fans..having a Russia "England" world cup record...miss it.
Funnily enough,a German newspaper(today) has the worst 10 German world cup/euro records ever recorded...even done one for this world cup....all crap,awful....shame their team cannot do the same

I think the problem is that there's usually naive belief that we're good enough to win, but very few people believe that this time. If we make it out of the group stage people will probably get a bit more excited.

They better win now, i've just pulled them out in my work sweepstake!

I think the last tournament I got truly excited about England was 2002, I've had very low expectations since then. I am still very excited about the world cup, just not England. I'll still support the side and want them to do well, the expectation is 2nd round though and anything beyond is a bonus.

What says it all to me is the depth ( lack of ) of our squad.
I guess it is the flip side to having a lucrative Premier League , attracting talent the world over and leaving less room for home grown players.
I don't know how many Southgate has to choose from , but the percentage must be low.
In just remember 'growing up' in the 60's and 70's , the types of players who didn't get capped or only just a handful.
Some of these would walk into the side today.
I was born in Islington, so as a kid my Dad took me to Arsenal.
Players like Peter Simpson and George Armstrong never got near to England but were superb.
Im sure there were many more examples.

I think the last tournament I got truly excited about England was 2002, I've had very low expectations since then. I am still very excited about the world cup, just not England. I'll still support the side and want them to do well, the expectation is 2nd round though and anything beyond is a bonus.

Pretty much how I feel, still looking forward to being at the pub with a few of the lads this time next week if not necessarily the actual game itself!

Back