• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News English football suspended until end of April due to coronavirus pandemic

Evening Echo

The News
Professional football in England will not resume until April 30 at the earliest due to the coronavirus pandemic.

More...

One step closer to voiding it. If they cannot guarantee completion by the end of June then they will have to bin it because it will get really messy with contracts expiring

Last edited:
One step closer to voiding it. If they cannot guarantee completion by the end of July then they will have to bin it because it will get really messy with contracts expiring

Nope. The Premier League, EFL, F.A. and the women's game all agreed just now that the season must be finished. The are extending the season indefinitely. Obviously that's going to create huge problems with players contracts, etc.

One step closer to voiding it. If they cannot guarantee completion by the end of July then they will have to bin it because it will get really messy with contracts expiring

Contracts run out in June. Worst close scenario is they do a points per game table and then just the playoffs. Can't not have relegations etc.

Nope. The Premier League, EFL, F.A. and the women's game all agreed just now that the season must be finished. The are extending the season indefinitely. Obviously that's going to create huge problems with players contracts, etc.

Yep. We have a lot of players out of contract. You cant allow this to spill over into July/August because those players wont actually work here anymore

Yep. We have a lot of players out of contract. You cant allow this to spill over into July/August because those players wont actually work here anymore

They'll probably come up with some rule about playing for any club you're at contract too on June 30th until the season is completed. Or something like that.

Then a mad rush to the next season

They keep saying it must be finished- periodically extending the deadline further- still at this point to a date to restart well before the virus peaks thru June & July- expect more and more extensions.

One thing that's always completely missing is any attempt at to explain how they think this will happen. That said they probably can keep this going to a End May start date at which point they have to accept that the season will go beyond end of June. Do they force clubs in financial distress to extend contracts/negotiate new contracts, maintain their current squads? For all sorts of reasons teams if they could play would be playing intermittently with seriously weakened squads. Not sure where this leaves the integrity of the competition either.

But they have to keep positive, hoping against hope, to demonstrate to any future potential litigants they did everything humanly possible.

I saw that their own rules state that the competition must be completed by 1st June in any year

They'll probably come up with some rule about playing for any club you're at contract too on June 30th until the season is completed. Or something like that.

Nope! That's like saying a contract is as long as I want it to be. If it's from June to June; it's June to June, if you see what I mean?
Have never heard of clauses like the one you suggest, that's probably because no one ever envisaged a virus that would stop normal life.

I saw that their own rules state that the competition must be completed by 1st June in any year
Will we be allowed to claim inability to field team due to no gk and the on going embargo? But seriously the next two weeks will be watched very carefully and imo the covid numbers will continue to go up, the quarenteen periods will extend and training can't resume so the EFL will be inbetween rock and hard place leading to a voided season and a "we really tried" proclaiming from them.

I'm not a lawyer but that sounds illegal, if you've signed a contract of employment that ends on the 30th of June I don't think your employer can force you to sign a contract extension unless there was a clause in the contract when you signed.

Yep we know how big the big boys are in terms of their financials, influence and reach but not so powerful as to be able to halt this virus/deal with its consequences as they naively believe or hope for within the timeframes the latest statement alludes to. In short voiding 19/20 is the only pragmatic solution.

I'm not a lawyer but that sounds illegal, if you've signed a contract of employment that ends on the 30th of June I don't think your employer can force you to sign a contract extension unless there was a clause in the contract when you signed.
Agreed, and as above for my thread on same.
Clauses extending a contract usually pertain to another season. There are players we need to jettison - not hand another 12 months wages!

This makes it sound/seem so utterly straightforward when the situation is anything but. The only way that this would work is if there is a bilateral agreement between each out of contract player and their respective club. The EFL has absolutely no jurisdiction in such matters, so could only implore rather than compel.

In my humble opinion, this pandemic is still in its infancy with conservative estimates suggesting a June plateau in the UK before dropping off thereafter (other research suggesting 12-18 months!). It's inconvenient, unfair, uncharted territory, but halting the 19/20 season for me will ultimately become the only viable option for the powers that be. We just not at that juncture yet...

Nope. The Premier League, EFL, F.A. and the women's game all agreed just decided now that the season must be finished. They are extending the season indefinitely. Obviously that's They don't give a **** that it’s going to create huge problems with players contracts in the FL etc.

edited for accuracy

Another thing that hasnt been thought of, is if clubs go 4-6 weeks without any games, how can they just start playing again none of them will be match fit* - they'll need a "post season - pre season"

* didnt both half our squad in Aug, Sept

[QUOTE="Shrimper, post: 2236101, member: 3069"

[/QUOTE]

With no time to re-seed any pitch's?. That will save us some money?.

Back