• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News English football suspended until end of April due to coronavirus pandemic

The contract situation won’t be a problem they will just extend them for a few months as it’s a particular kind of situation

The contract situation won’t be a problem they will just extend them for a few months as it’s a particular kind of situation
It doesn't work like that.

In many cases, there will be four parties to consider -

1 - The player
2 - The club
3 - The players agent
4 - The club the player was going to sign for

On what terms is it extended? The same terms (so you'd essentially have a monthly "licence" under the same terms as the contract)?

What happens if the team cannot fulfil the fixtures due to not having sufficient players? Who deals with the legalities of getting around the closed transfer/loan window?

There will be the fitness to consider - let's assume the season resumes mid-May; you'll have players going from no football for 11 weeks to being expected to play 2 games a week for 5 - 6 weeks. That's a recipe for injuries.

There's also the assumption that players aren't in isolation themselves.

What happens if the cases continue to rise?

In short I cannot see any way at all this season can possibly be completed. Euros or no Euros.

I don’t see why players contracts is an issue
The club has a choice whether to offer a new contract or not
The player has a choice whether to sign it or not
Existing loans the same way
Some clubs will gamble on paying to stay up/ be promoted, some won’t — it’s their choice just like a jan transfer window in that regard
as long as they change the rules ( if indeed a change is necessary) so they can’t play for another club
OR with regard to ££££ , the PFA , league and clubs could come to an agreement. Ie if you offer a contract it’s a x percent of your existing contract.

What is going to be difficult is where today you 2 players that both earn the same BUT
One with a contract that runs out this year, one has a contract that that ends next year.
It’s going to **** off the guys who have contracts that don’t end this year who wont get extra money

I don’t see why players contracts is an issue
The club has a choice whether to offer a new contract or not
The player has a choice whether to sign it or not
How many of our out of contract players do you think will honestly be interested in signing any form of new contract with us?

They’re bringing doctors back from retirement and bringing in new measures to help businesses and employees left right and centre. These players are probably desperate to get back to playing football. I’d not rule anything out .. don’t think traditional rules apply to be fair.

They’re bringing doctors back from retirement and bringing in new measures to help businesses and employees left right and centre. These players are probably desperate to get back to playing football. I’d not rule anything out .. don’t think traditional rules apply to be fair.
Which would suggest that footballers will not be playing football for a very long while. Oh well at least the wealthy ones can keep on posting amusing videos of them larking around in their huge mansions to keep our spirits up.

How many of our out of contract players do you think will honestly be interested in signing any form of new contract with us?

Some will, some wont. Some of the former may be very keen on signing a one year extension by 30th June give I suspect many fellow players will be out of contract and potentially with a great deal of uncertainty. The club will without a doubt have certain players who will not be getting a new contract and of course nobody will be able to bring in new players until there is a pre-season and transfer window. So most clubs will likely have seriously reduced squads 1st July- which is why so can't see the season going beyond 30th June. To your point how do you force a player to stay at a club beyond his current contract, and how do you force clubs to retain out of contract players they want rid of and who pays them? No doubt eventually the EFL will address this issue.

Pat Nevin former PFA deputy by the way does not see how blanket contract extensions can work- players out of contract this June have in many cases signed contracts with new clubs from July 1, each contract has a unique set of terms negotiated between player and club The idea these individual contracts can "easily" be blacket extended seems a stretch.

But its just another unknown. BTW the social distancing rules means weddings from now with more than 5 people are cancelled , so how 36 players, plus officials, plus staff think they can run around after a plastic ball fall of air at this thing's peak still confuses me. Let alone travel together for games.

I think probably there is a 50/50 chance of this season finishing- only because the Prem, EFL, FA must clearly know something I don't or have a secret plan I have't thought of. Quite possible.

Which would suggest that footballers will not be playing football for a very long while. Oh well at least the wealthy ones can keep on posting amusing videos of them larking around in their huge mansions to keep our spirits up.

I don't begrudge someone who started with nothing being successful. And he would be a long way down the list of people I would put in the firing line at the moment..

Who makes the final decision? The Premier League? I just wonder how much the FA have a say in the outcome. From what I have heard over the past week or so, nothing. It's normally Premier, then EFL and occasionally the National League no mention of the FA or have I missed something.

Who makes the final decision? The Premier League? I just wonder how much the FA have a say in the outcome. From what I have heard over the past week or so, nothing. It's normally Premier, then EFL and occasionally the National League no mention of the FA or have I missed something.

In order of influence it is I am sure Prem, EFL, FA- with the latter very little and the former a lot. All rugby union leagues below Prem including championship have had season cancelled today.

In the current climate, unless there is a better choice I think a player will sign any contract put in front of him.

Back