• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

English wine

callan

Striker
Does anybody buy it and what are their thoughts?

I am in the process of setting up a small vineyard (think 1/2 an acre with approx 50 vines) which I thought would be a bit of fun and any wine from it would be for family consumption given away etc and not to turn a profit.
However have had an offer from the local micro brewery to bottle and sell it if any good...plus another 1/2 an acre of their land to grow more vines on.
I have imported the vines (red grapes) from Germany and they should be ok in our climate, plus they are going into some of the best soil in Lincolnshire that should really suit them so I don't doubt the wine will be reasonable....however not sure about commercially viable as I'm not sure how many people actually buy English wine.

New Hall Vinyard at Purley (nr Maldon) have been making decent white and sparkling wine for 20+ yrs, if you have the time I suggest you check them out. It is a very nice wine on warm summer afternoons.

Only had some from Isle of Wight - it was awful sad to say.

Though it wouldn't put me off drinking British at all. Sounds great fun Cal, good luck with it.

From what I understand the chalky regions of South England produce very good sparkling wine and there is a lot of investment into wine production there.

Personally I can't stand the stuff so I can't comment on quality.

Back