• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Badgershrimp

Schoolboy
I don't often post on ShrimperZone, so I hope you don't mind me adding this story ahead of Bristol Rovers visit on Saturday.

To be honest we've all been a bit down what with the Blues results of late. Hopefully, we've turned the corner following Tuesday's win at Bramall Lane. Nevertheless, here's a tale from my book 'The Oliver Trigg experience' also used for my Yellow Advertiser blog.

I've always thought that watching a football match is a privilege, there's very little we can do once the boys cross the white line. Enjoy the game and particularly those you watch it with: http://www.yellowad.co.uk/article.cfm?id=509&classIS=blog&headline=Play it to me one more time.

A really great read.Having been condemned to a life of following the Blues by my Dad in 64...what would I give to just see his face and tell him that we made the promised land of the 2nd Division under Webby...if only

Says it all beautifully mate, theres football ,then theres love, life and death!! all wonderfully and sometimes tragically entwined

Great story.

My Dad took me to Roots Hall for the first time in August 1969. I was 8.

Up until a few months before, I had hated football. It was all my Dad used to watch on the TV and drove my Mum mad. Of course, in those days, there were only really 3 channels and football was restricted to Saturday build up on Grandstand or World of Sport, Match of the Day on Saturday night and Star Soccer on a Sunday afternoon (which became The Big Match). Bloody hell, almost any time of day now on Satellite you can find a game on somewhere.

Anyhow, as a 7 year old kid my hand/eye/foot co-ordination was rubbish and I was the last one selected in the lunchtime teams at school. Then, one day (I remember it vividly) I suddenly started connecting with the tennis ball we used to kick about. Tackles were made, shots were fired and who would have guessed that within 4 years I would be captain of the school team.

But back to 1969... I remember watching the league cup final as Swindon and Don Rogers beat Arsenal at Wembley. At school, I wanted to be Don Rogers and remember trying to recreate the goal he scored by running clear, rounding Bob Wilson the Arsenal keeper and placing the ball in the net.

I saw the FA Cup final on TV between Man City and Leicester and can recall on the old black and white set that we had, Neil Young firing past a young Peter Shilton to win it for Man City 1-0.

My Nan lived with us and was registered deaf and blind, so on a Saturday morning she used to ask me to read the horses to her as she loved a bet. Come August, I had enough interest in football to ask her if Southend had a team. She said they did and thought we played in Division 4. She told me to look at the fixtures that were printed on the inside back page and the team named first was the home team.

That day we were playing Crewe Alexandra at Roots Hall.

She told me to ask my Dad to take me, he would love it as he was a Fulham nut, being born and raised just a stones throw from Craven Cottage.

He duly obliged and the start of a love affair commenced; we won 2-0, I had read the match programme and saw that Billy Best was the big name even though he didn't score that day and have never turned back.

The following week my Dad took me up to see his Mum who still lived in Fulham, Reporton Rd to be precise and they also had a home game on. They were in Division 3, having dropped out of Division 1 a couple of years earlier. I think Johnny Haynes was still playing and they had Steve Earle, Jimmy Conway, Vic Halom, Les Barrett, Malcolm Webster (later to play for us), George Cohen (a member of the 1966 World Cup winning team)... there was no way they should have been down there. That day they were at home to Shrewsbury and they won 3-1.

For the next few years, Southend played on Fridays and on a Saturday I either was taken to Fulham or occasionally West Ham as my Nan had a relation who was the groundsman at Chadwell Heath and he used to sometimes get tickets. I remember being the envy of my classmates when I was allowed a day off school to go and watch a training session.I met Bobby Moore, Ron Greenwood, Geoff Hurst and Jimmy Greaves, who had just completed a switch from Spurs with Martin Peters going the other way.

My Dad I think would have loved me to become a Fulham fan and to be fair they are my second team, but it wasn't until the 1980's when Fulham played Southend for the first time since I had started supporting them that I really discovered where my loyalties lay. West Ham were never in the picture, but I don't hate them, as many of our fans do. In fact, I will still occasionally see them if one of my many West Ham supporting mates (including my ex-brother-in-law and my eldest son, also a Blues fan) have a spare ticket.

For a few years, I had fervently followed both Southend and Fulham, but with my Nan moving to Westcliff in the early 1970's, the opportunity to see Fulham just didn't arise. Southend I could see whenever and as soon as I could start getting myself to and from games, my Dad stopped coming.

Despite being an absolute football nut, he became disillusioned with the game. He played to a decent standard himself, being captain of Kew Association who played in the then Southern Amateur league. I guess 3 levels down from League Two would be about right these days. I think it was the money and the collapse of Fulham who so nearly went out of the league before Al-Fayed took over that dampened his interest. However, even when they got into the Prem, the passion wasn't rekindled. In fact, he fell out of love with football completely and I now am beginning to know how he felt.

I would say I am more a Southend fan than a football fan and if for any disastrous reason SUFC ceased to exist, I don't think I'd bother. I love the game, but hate the sport and the way it is - and has been - run.

But the anecdote about your old man and the stories at half time... that struck a chord. My Dad was always telling me about the goal he scored from the halfway line that broke the net; the abuse he gave Tommy Docherty when he was playing by yelling "Dirty Docherty" as loud as he could from the front of the terraces; the fact that he had a trial for Chelsea and was very close to being taken on, World War II intervening and the time his ankle was broken in a tackle which more or less ended his playing career.

The last time my Dad took me to a game was in the 1970's as he really didn't get bitten by the Southend bug. However, I remember seeing him on the South Bank Terrace before the South Stand was built and he was a Fulham fan that night; it was a promotion season and we drew 1-1... 1990 I think? I think Tilly scored our goal. That was the last match he attended.

He was always interested however in how we fared, not for him but for me, knowing that he started the process of my SUFC love affair by taking me to that first game.

Sadly he died last summer, but reading the blog above just brought back a few memories, thanks for that.

I've done things the other way round. My Dad, despite being born and bred in Leyton, was a Manchester United fan, and I am very thankful for that because it meant a) I never had the misfortune to support west ham or Orient and b) He never forced his football team on me and my brother.

At first, like FBM I really disliked football as a kid and only got into it because of Italia 90. From then on I was hooked but I decided to follow the lead of one of my mates and follow Spurs because they had Gazza and Lineker, rather than be like my brother and follow United because of my Dad.

As a rebellion thing I disliked United with a passion in my younger years and to this day I feel guilty because I know although he didn't show it, my Dad must have been sad about that.

We lived in Hockley but my Mum and Dad used to go shopping in Southend most Saturdays and take us with them. I remember on the drive home seeing people streaming out of Roots Hall and being fascinated by it. I started to take an interest and the football team I played for at the time took us along for a training session with Ray Scott and Frankie Banks and then we watched the Ipswich game (lost 1-2, Prior). I remember a sit-down protest on the pitch afterwards and thinking this was all very exciting. I got the bug.

However, I didn't have anyone to go with and I was still only about 10 and didn't live in the town. My Dad took me a couple of times but it wasn't 'til I had a mate whose mum worked for the club and used to be able to get us cheap tickets that I went regularly.

My brother soon followed my lead and ditched his casual acquaintance with United. I shook off Spurs altogether, in fact if anything they are now one of my least favourite clubs. My Dad continued watching his football in the pub but he was never that fussed and only really went if his Liverpool-supporting friend did.

That chap sadly died a few years ago and we thought it would be good to take my Dad along to Roots Hall a few times at the end of the 2012/13 season. He really enjoyed it, and he's had a season ticket ever since. He's a bit senior for away games but nevertheless came to Morecambe with us (sorry Dad) and then Col Ewe on Boxing Day last year. He's still a United fan but now we talk about the Blues all the time. He moans about Brown like the rest of us, but I really think it's given him a new lease of life. Like many he's become disillusioned with the Premier League and the fact it's all about money.

So really, instead of him passing his support on, I've passed mine back.

I've done things the other way round. My Dad, despite being born and bred in Leyton, was a Manchester United fan, and I am very thankful for that because it meant a) I never had the misfortune to support west ham or Orient and b) He never forced his football team on me and my brother.

At first, like FBM I really disliked football as a kid and only got into it because of Italia 90. From then on I was hooked but I decided to follow the lead of one of my mates and follow Spurs because they had Gazza and Lineker, rather than be like my brother and follow United because of my Dad.

As a rebellion thing I disliked United with a passion in my younger years and to this day I feel guilty because I know although he didn't show it, my Dad must have been sad about that.

We lived in Hockley but my Mum and Dad used to go shopping in Southend most Saturdays and take us with them. I remember on the drive home seeing people streaming out of Roots Hall and being fascinated by it. I started to take an interest and the football team I played for at the time took us along for a training session with Ray Scott and Frankie Banks and then we watched the Ipswich game (lost 1-2, Prior). I remember a sit-down protest on the pitch afterwards and thinking this was all very exciting. I got the bug.

However, I didn't have anyone to go with and I was still only about 10 and didn't live in the town. My Dad took me a couple of times but it wasn't 'til I had a mate whose mum worked for the club and used to be able to get us cheap tickets that I went regularly.

My brother soon followed my lead and ditched his casual acquaintance with United. I shook off Spurs altogether, in fact if anything they are now one of my least favourite clubs. My Dad continued watching his football in the pub but he was never that fussed and only really went if his Liverpool-supporting friend did.

That chap sadly died a few years ago and we thought it would be good to take my Dad along to Roots Hall a few times at the end of the 2012/13 season. He really enjoyed it, and he's had a season ticket ever since. He's a bit senior for away games but nevertheless came to Morecambe with us (sorry Dad) and then Col Ewe on Boxing Day last year. He's still a United fan but now we talk about the Blues all the time. He moans about Brown like the rest of us, but I really think it's given him a new lease of life. Like many he's become disillusioned with the Premier League and the fact it's all about money.

So really, instead of him passing his support on, I've passed mine back.

Likewise - my Dad is a plastic Hamster at heart, interspersed with the occasional attendance at Roots Hall but since he hit his mid-sixties, we've seen it as a good opportunity for a bit of much-needed father/son bonding time (and to indirectly cleanse him of his dirty West Ham ways), and he has had a season ticket ever since...

Oddly, whilst I always loved football from the first moment I kicked a ball in anger, my somewhat unorthodox penchant for siding with the underdog lead me to resist the temptation to support any of the generic big boys like all my mates at junior, then senior school - in fact, the first team I properly supported was actually Sunderland (I hooked on to them at the start of their run to the 1992 FA Cup final, principally because I loved their kit, but also because they had some great characters/legendary PRO-SET cards in their side at that time - Tony Norman, Gary Owers, Paul Bracewell, John Byrne to name but a few).
Ironically, it was actually a dirty West Ham mate of mine (going to senior school in Brentwood, almost all of my mates were/still are Spammers) who was round my house one weekend (August '95), who thought it would be a good idea to pop down to Roots Hall to watch a game - we were garbage, but something clicked, and I was staunchly Southend from that moment. I still question my sanity now...

I don't go to Roots Hall that often these days.

Last time I went I spent half the match pondering if the bloke with the bubble perm and brown leather jacket two rows in front had made a conscious decision to model his entire look on Doyle from The Professionals.

I don't go to Roots Hall that often these days.

Last time I went I spent half the match pondering if the bloke with the bubble perm and brown leather jacket two rows in front had made a conscious decision to model his entire look on Doyle from The Professionals.

Was it 1984 you last went then? And I thought I was tardy.

Don't all boo at once but I started my football love affair with Luton Town in the 70's when I was about 8. My granddad used to take my two brothers and I thought I was missing out so begged him to take me. I'm sure he thought it would only take one or two games to put me off and stop me moaning but completely the opposite, I was hooked. My brothers used to stand on the terrace but I got to sit with my granddad in the main stand with all the older blokes smoking cigars and swearing - loved it:thumbsup:
I was a season ticket holder there until I left home in 1984 and moved to Southend. Then life took over and football took a back seat for many years although I always kept up with results and went to the odd game if I was back in Luton and the boys had a spare ticket.
My son started to go to watch Southend when he was about 10 but went with a friend and his son until the LDV van final against Wrexham in 2005. They had a spare ticket so I decided to go and once again got completely hooked. I remember ringing my husband at half time to tell him that we were going to have to start going in the new season and have not looked back. Been a season ticket holder at Southend ever since.
I still look out for Luton's scores and have a healthy rivalry with my brothers but am "madaboutblues" now as are my daughter and my husband :happy::happy:

A lovely read.

I have my dad to blame thank for me supporting Southend United and it's always a source of sadness that he's not been around for the last 20 years following our highs and lows. I think he'd have enjoyed that Wembley trip in 2015 you know...

I don't often post on ShrimperZone, so I hope you don't mind me adding this story ahead of Bristol Rovers visit on Saturday.

To be honest we've all been a bit down what with the Blues results of late. Hopefully, we've turned the corner following Tuesday's win at Bramall Lane. Nevertheless, here's a tale from my book 'The Oliver Trigg experience' also used for my Yellow Advertiser blog.

I've always thought that watching a football match is a privilege, there's very little we can do once the boys cross the white line. Enjoy the game and particularly those you watch it with: http://www.yellowad.co.uk/article.cfm?id=509&classIS=blog&headline=Play it to me one more time.

A very good and moving story.

Great Read and as said very moving!
My Dad was also the reason I know no other team to support.
I first was dragged to Roots Hall as a youngster in the seventies with Dad and Grand-dad.
Dad never played the game but was always there for me on a cold sunday morning and The mighty Blues whenever He wasn't working.
Through my teenage years and early adulthood we would still go together but not so often(life and my football took over).
When I missed the buzz and realised I'd never make it, I bought my first season ticket so did Dad! We were best mates.
Over 10 years we would suffer and enjoy some great times.
Great times together regardless of result and me thinking why could you not have taken me elsewhere.
Dad had a very aggressive illness and made the game against Man U and saw his last game against West Brom on New years day 2007.
Sadly passed away the day we played Tottenham on the 27th jan.
Walking in The Spread next home game was like walking into a pub for the first time as a teenager,People who I don't really know only through football looking and expressing sympathy but not saying anything.
The Man who broke the silence and I will be forever grateful was Graham Jolley (Homer) sadly no longer with us but this is why My shrimper family are so special:thumbsup:

I think I have something in my eye. Wow! I knew it was coming, from the start, but a sad story, perfectly written with the balance of thought and emotion.

I was at that game, as well. Remember with the 2nd penalty, Gower and Broughton actually fighting over who should take it.

'Badgershrimp' is it easy to get hold of your book?

Thanks for posting. This is the sort of stuff that makes this a special forum and a stand out from the rest.

that's beautiful mate. i lost my dad far too young, for both of us, and it really got me, brought a tear to my eye thinking of my old man.

thank you for posting it

Back