• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He can't play out wide. He can't play in the middle of a 4 man midfield.
This means to include him we need to sacrifice a striker and either play him in a midfield 3 (4-5-1) or a little further forward (4-4-1-1). Either way, the 4-4-2 brigade will be screaming blue murder as soon as we fail to win a game.
To include Jack, more than any other player in the squad, we need to build the team around him - if PB isn't prepared to do that, Payne is basically stuck on the bench. It would be a massive call to do this - can't honestly say I would - especially considering that the success PB has enjoyed has been build around having a solid system that players slot in and out of.

He can't play out wide. He can't play in the middle of a 4 man midfield.
This means to include him we need to sacrifice a striker and either play him in a midfield 3 (4-5-1) or a little further forward (4-4-1-1). Either way, the 4-4-2 brigade will be screaming blue murder as soon as we fail to win a game.
To include Jack, more than any other player in the squad, we need to build the team around him - if PB isn't prepared to do that, Payne is basically stuck on the bench. It would be a massive call to do this - can't honestly say I would - especially considering that the success PB has enjoyed has been build around having a solid system that players slot in and out of.

As I said months ago he could be a striker in 4-4-2. Wouldn't matter if is was a flat midfield or diamond. People think he can only be a number 10 and should drop to find space. I would like to see him in and around the box and pressuring their last defender. The higher up the pitch the more dangerous he looked on Saturday and his excellent goal was a good example.

Hoping he can turn and run from 35 yds and beat 3 men has been totally unsuccessful so far. Lets be honest by playing Payne as a striker we would hardly be sacrificing any great talent to the bench. Agree with AndyT... Hunt with Payne

It's quite ironic this thread because we are playing Blackpool this weekend and Redshaw always reminded me of Payne a little bit. Most would look at Redshaw and think no way is he big enough to play in the lower leagues and yet he was always a top player at Morecombe, he loved a goal against us!
I used to watch him and think can we not do the same with Payne. I always think Payne should be on the shoulder of the last man and he should get the ball and turn and go. Then who knows, get brought down, a pen, a goal whatever. But the discussion is definitely valid.

Being tall Isn't a pre-requisite of being a forward.

Richard Cadette, for example, was one of our most successful and best loved strikers.

If you play Payne and Hunt with Mooney behind, you still have the option of knocking the odd high ball into the box, which Mooney could attack from a deeper and much more dangerous position.

Being tall Isn't a pre-requisite of being a forward.

Richard Cadette, for example, was one of our most successful and best loved strikers.

If you play Payne and Hunt with Mooney behind, you still have the option of knocking the odd high ball into the box, which Mooney could attack from a deeper and much more dangerous position.

And then we have to play a narrow midfield, which would get slagged to death also?

I agree with rigsby that he could play upfront and that is probably the best spot for him at the moment unless PB wants to build the side about him, which he obviously doesn't. He needs the right player alongside him though.

I think he is a natural no. 10. As a player he reminds me of Wes Hoolahan and I think he is best finding pockets of space between the opposition's defence and midfield.

I get the number 10 argument. That dropping slightly deep, holding the ball, spreading to the Wide players, using skill to unlock a Defence. He's got 1-2 of those qualities.

Why do you think he can't play wide or wide right in a front 3? I always thought that with his build, turn of pace, skill, eye for a ball etc that he'd be ideal. I've seen him dragged there and when he gets into the box he's passing and skill have looked potent. I Guess the downside is that his protection of the full back drops.

Thoughts?

I get the number 10 argument. That dropping slightly deep, holding the ball, spreading to the Wide players, using skill to unlock a Defence. He's got 1-2 of those qualities.

Why do you think he can't play wide or wide right in a front 3? I always thought that with his build, turn of pace, skill, eye for a ball etc that he'd be ideal. I've seen him dragged there and when he gets into the box he's passing and skill have looked potent. I Guess the downside is that his protection of the full back drops.

Thoughts?

JP is much better finishing a move rather than starting it. We need the goals and so far he has not unlocked any defences but has scored goals that none of our other players could, like the one away at Shrewsbury last season.

And then we have to play a narrow midfield, which would get slagged to death also?

No you don't, we played a 4-4-1-1 at Sheffield united, two wide men in Hurst and Worrall, two midfielders in Atkinson and Leonard. And finally, Payne playing off the shoulder of Mooney.

No you don't, we played a 4-4-1-1 at Sheffield united, two wide men in Hurst and Worrall, two midfielders in Atkinson and Leonard. And finally, Payne playing off the shoulder of Mooney.

The post I was replying to suggested playing Hunt and Payne up top with Mooney behind, unless I was totally misreading.

Back