• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Envy/jealousy throughout football

BALDY

Striker
Whenever a club suddenly has rich owners come in there are all sorts of things said.
But deep down jealousy/envy does come into it at times.

One fan on here hopes that Wrexham "crashes and burns"--Well we are entitled to our opinions.

I am sure that he would feel very differently if RM was removed and a very rich family took over and all of a sudden the club received national publicity but for the right reasons.

Of course many clubs spend beyond their means...What is the point of being concerned about them?

Because SUFC get fantastic gates and Boreham Wood get small ones it does NOT give The Shrimpers the devine right to get into the play offs.

I know that some on here will disagree with me (in a respectful way I hope).
Some feel that football isn't fair---Many things in life are unfair.

The NL is of course difficult to get out of (Of course the top two clubs should get instant promotion).
So who wouldn't take a rich businessman to get out of it?

Most fans of NL clubs would love a slice of what Wrexham have got as a football club.
Who wouldn't want Paul Mullin? (calm down some of you lol)

A club can almost comeback from the dead and be a success.
Just look at Leyton Orient before Justin Edinburgh (may he rest in peace) became manager.

Over to you.

Wrexham have certainly had their difficult times until more recently and it's quite a pleasing fairy-tale story as to how their fortunes have improved since the actors have pay-rolled the improvements necessary to get out of the NL. I'm pretty sure most of us would love the input of such enthusiastic benefactors but it's all somewhat arbitrary the hand you get dealt with - here's hoping that someone or some people with big hands to dig deep into bulging pockets can influence Mr Ron to relinquish his stranglehold on the club.

I went to (yet another) leaving do last night. Fella I work with, from Kent, said he was pals with a die-hard Maidstone fan, who goes apoplectic at the mere mention of Southend United. He is enraged that we can break so many regulations/deadlines, yet go unpunished by the NL. He of course thinks SUFC should be in the NL South, not his club.

Wrexham have certainly had their difficult times until more recently and it's quite a pleasing fairy-tale story as to how their fortunes have improved since the actors have pay-rolled the improvements necessary to get out of the NL. I'm pretty sure most of us would love the input of such enthusiastic benefactors but it's all somewhat arbitrary the hand you get dealt with - here's hoping that someone or some people with big hands to dig deep into bulging pockets can influence Mr Ron to relinquish his stranglehold on the club.

I could not agree more--What Kevin and Co did was nothing short of fantastic (a quick overall look of the results proves that).

Of course all managers have their critics (who would fancy having "Lamps" at RH?)-Yikes!!

I went to (yet another) leaving do last night. Fella I work with, from Kent, said he was pals with a die-hard Maidstone fan, who goes apoplectic at the mere mention of Southend United. He is enraged that we can break so many regulations/deadlines, yet go unpunished by the NL. He of course thinks SUFC should be in the NL South, not his club.
What do you think of his comments?
It really is such a damn shame how many fans suffer at the hands of a bad owner.

Bit weird considering they finished 24th anyway. Not like if we got relegated they would be the ones benefitting from a reprieve.

I am sure that he would feel very differently if RM was removed and a very rich family took over and all of a sudden the club received national publicity but for the right reasons.
Not for me. Build slowly and sustainably. Relying on one rich person to buy you the biggest bag of sweets only lasts as long as no one has more money to buy a bigger bag of sweets for someone else. Plus I would like to think that a new owner has some vague interest in the club and the city, not just making (loosing) money.

I wonder if there are any owners or investors that we would not be willing to accept? How far will people let their principles go? The history of football suggests quite a long way.

Bit much from a club that was instrumental in Dartford losing their Watling Street ground, ask him about it.
Seems strange to me that Wrexham can overspend to the tune of £3m and that’s okay with the league but a club that doesn’t pay anyone, not that its acceptable at all, can be penalised.

I haven't got a problem with Wrexham fans enjoying some good times after being stuck in the national league for 15 years and nearly going bust.

My issue is more about the circus that has preceded it and Wrexham being thrown down our throats by the media.

I also felt for some Wrexham fans who couldn't get tickets due to new fans travelling from the states etc.

As for Boreham. Got no positive thoughts for them. An anti footballing team bankrolled by Arsenal.

Bit much from a club that was instrumental in Dartford losing their Watling Street ground, ask him about it.
Seems strange to me that Wrexham can overspend to the tune of £3m and that’s okay with the league but a club that doesn’t pay anyone, not that its acceptable at all, can be penalised.

They were always going to overspend but did get a lot of money from the TV show and tik tok for sponsorship.

They also sold 75k of replica shirts.

I can see Wrexham being promoted again next season.

After that I suspect the celebrity owners and tourists will lose a bit of interest when they are fighting for tenth place against Wycombe and Shrewsbury

I haven't got a problem with Wrexham fans enjoying some good times after being stuck in the national league for 15 years and nearly going bust.

My issue is more about the circus that has preceded it and Wrexham being thrown down our throats by the media.

I also felt for some Wrexham fans who couldn't get tickets due to new fans travelling from the states etc.

As for Boreham. Got no positive thoughts for them. An anti footballing team bankrolled by Arsenal.
But who bankrolls Arsenal?

After that I suspect the celebrity owners and tourists will lose a bit of interest when they are fighting for tenth place against Wycombe and Shrewsbury
I agree.

Given they went and saw them vs Maidenhead why would they lose interest against teams like Wycombe and Shrewsbury?

Whenever a club suddenly has rich owners come in there are all sorts of things said.
But deep down jealousy/envy does come into it at times.

One fan on here hopes that Wrexham "crashes and burns"--Well we are entitled to our opinions.

Of course many clubs spend beyond their means...What is the point of being concerned about them?

Because SUFC get fantastic gates and Boreham Wood get small ones it does NOT give The Shrimpers the devine right to get into the play offs.

I know that some on here will disagree with me (in a respectful way I hope).
Some feel that football isn't fair---Many things in life are unfair.

The NL is of course difficult to get out of (Of course the top two clubs should get instant promotion).
So who wouldn't take a rich businessman to get out of it?

Most fans of NL clubs would love a slice of what Wrexham have got as a football club.
Who wouldn't want Paul Mullin? (calm down some of you lol)

A club can almost comeback from the dead and be a success.
Just look at Leyton Orient before Justin Edinburgh (may he rest in peace) became manager.

Over to you.
Southend have been NL for 2 seasons now. What motivates you to still come on here and lecture people on how to feel about it?

"My issue is more about the circus that has preceded it and Wrexham being thrown down our throats by the media."
Tommy but would you be unhappy if it was The Shrimpers?

Given they went and saw them vs Maidenhead why would they lose interest against teams like Wycombe and Shrewsbury?
I think the “tenth place” bit was the main point, quite rightly, he was making.

Back