• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
With just two weeks until the big Kick Off, here's part 1 of my League One Preview, covering the first twelve teams. Part 2 will be up tomorrow.

Brentford
Last Season: 1st
Manager: Andy Scott
Key Player: Charlie MacDonald, Striker
Prediction: 18th

Manager and former O's scumbag Andy Scott has been nothing short of terrific for The Bee's in his tenure, taking them from the bottom of League Two to a title in 8 months. With a squad that isn't exactly overwhelming, Scott's meticulous planning and organisation make what is an average team into a well drilled unit, and this should see them safe in League One.

Brighton
Last Season: 16th
Manager: Russel Slade
Key Player: Dean Cox, Midfielder.
Prediction: 13th

A thoroughly disappointing season last term left the mincing queer boys in shock as they narrowly avoided relegation... Which surprised me as the sight of 11 men going down seems right up their street. They've responded by bringing in local millionaire and renowned ****** Tony Bloom, who injected £80m into the club. They've signed Liam Dickinson and James Tunnicliffe who should do well at this level and, disappointingly, help them achieve a good finish this term.

Bristol Rovers
Last Season: 11th
Manager: Paul Trollope
Key Player: Rickie Lambert, Striker.
Prediction: 16th

The one man team that is Rickie Lambert FC managed well last season in a hit and miss campaign, which saw them finish comfotably midtable. With no notable signings or, more importantly, departures, more of the same is to be expected. If they lose Lambert and fail to replace him, they could struggle for goals and become a run of the mill team.

Carlisle
Last Season: 20th
Manager: Greg Abbot
Key Player: Richard Keogh, Midfielder.
Prediction: 15th

Suffering a Play-Off hangover last season, the pretend-english-should be-scottish club stumbled over the safety line on the last day of the season. A decent squad should have performed much better, and I fully expect them to this season.

Charlton
Last Season: 24th
Manager: Phil Parkinson
Key Player: Nicky Bailey, Ginger B*stard.
Prediction: 3rd

Apart from being relegated, having a scumbag as a manager, having a ginger scumbag as their club captain, a grossly inflated wage bill, financial shortfallings and generally being a plastic club, Charlton don't have much to worry about. The squad they have shouldn't have been relegated from The Championship, so should be more than capable of a secure finish in League One. Bailey has been linked with his next dream move, Middlesborough and Sheffield United this time, and his departure teamed with further financial problems could haunt the club.

Colchester
Last Season: 12th
Manager: Paul Lambert
Key Player: Steven Gillespie, Striker
Prediction: 11th

The sorry, incestuous mob from up the road are another club who have benefitted from a wealthy backer and have spent some money again, bringing in Simon Hackney from Carlisle as well as others. With a good run, they could press further up the table, yet it remains to be seen whether or not they can consistently perform. They would also benefit from less cousin-shagging.

Exeter
Last Season: 2nd
Manager: Paul Tisdale
Key Player: Scott Golbourne, Full Back.
Prediction: 23rd

Paul Tisdale, the current flavour of the month in managerial circles, has taken the club from non-league to League One in two seasons and has worked wonders with the little he has, with the club owned and run by it's supporters trust. The loan signings they've made have been impressive, Troy Archibald-Henville is a competent defender at this level as well as having Footballs Greatest Name, but I feel they really will struggle.

Gillingham
Last Season: 5th
Manager: Mark Stimson
Key Player: Simeon Jackson, Striker.
Prediction: 22nd

I have this cousin who's a little bit too common, nobody actually enjoys their company and he's really only invited to family events because he has to as a formality. The same applies to Gillingham. They're here on merit, but nobody actually wants them here. Employing a Chelsea-style 4-5-1 3 pronged attack, Simeon Jackson will score goals at this level and they could survive if they can keep him at the club, but a naive defence will hinder them.

Hartlepool
Last Season: 19th
Manager: Chris Turner (caretaker)
Key Player: James Brown, Striker.
Prediction: 20th

Jeff Stelling's own club slightly struggled last term, and if it weren't for some poorer opponents they may have been relegated. Joel Porter has taken his enormous nose back to Australia, but the talented jazz man James Brown is capable of scoring enough goals... Their defence, however, leaves a lot to be desired.

Huddersfield
Last Season: 9th
Manager: Lee Clarke
Key Player: Anthony Pilkington, Winger
Prediction: 2nd

Many predicted Huddersfield to do well last season, and they were seen to have massively underachieved by finishing 9th. This season, however, could be a completely different story as they have splashed the cash and assembled an impressive squad. Peter Clarke will aim to shore up their defence, and hope to do a better job than he did at Southend, and Theo Robinson will add a definite goal threat.

Leeds
Last Season: 4th
Manager: Simon Grayson
Key Player: Jermaine Beckford, Striker.
Prediction: 1st

Ah. The fallen giants are now enjoying their third season in the third tier of English football and the locals are impatient. A lack of new additions hasn't exactly got them raving about their chances of promotion this season and the vultures are circling, with Fabian Delph and Jermaine Beckford rumoured to be off to better things. The squad they have, however, is capable of winning this league, and a whole season under Grayson will prove hugely beneficial.

Leyton Orient
Last Season: 14th
Manager: Geraint Williams
Key Player: Tamika Mkandawire, Defender.
Prediction: 14th

The Ooze have quietly gone about their rotten business this summer, sneakily assembling a more than capable squad with Ben Chorley and the almost-decrepid James Scowcroft signing on. The pikeys have got their act together and, courtesy of the annual Roots Hall point give-away, should have no problem staying up this season.

Last edited:
A good read and good summary. Think you may be overrating Leeds and Charlton and underrating the League 2 clubs but you're spot on with Huddersfield. I think they're worth a punt to win the league with Pilkington who tore us apart at Edgeley Park and arguably our two best players from last season.

Look forward to Part 2...

I think Wycombe will stay up... I have them down as finishing 17th. I just think, similar to our success, the step up of two leagues in two years will be especially daunting for Exeter and, from what I saw of Gillingham, they're nowhere near strong enough defensively to cope.

Wycombe and Gills will go down. Exeter have a very bright manager. I fancy Brentford to do quite well, maybe even finish above us. Cant really argue with your preview although I do think once again Leeds will flatter to deceive. Hudds and Millwall will be the top 2.

A good read ESB, I would have a flutter on Leeds as well but it's against my religion to bet against SUFC. I've already had my customary score on the Blues to win League One.

A good read ESB, I would have a flutter on Leeds as well but it's against my religion to bet against SUFC. I've already had my customary score on the Blues to win League One.

You could always bet on them to get promoted which wouldn't technically be betting against SUFC.

That said, the odds wouldn't be that great.

Pretty much on the mark with those predictions so far. I think Charlton may struggle a bit more than you are predicting and that Brentford will be in the top 10. Be very interested to see where you predict Southend finishing!

I've predicted 8th place for us, but someway short of the Play-Off pack... Looking at the division this year, there's a distinct gulf in class between the Top end and bottom, something which there hasn't been in this league before.

1 Leeds
2 Huddersfield

3 Charlton
4 Norwich
5 MK Dons
6 Millwall

7 Oldham
8 Southend
9 Tranmere
10 Swindon
11 Colchester
12 Southampton
13 Brighton
14 Leyton Orient
15 Carlisle
16 Bristol Rovers
17 Wycombe
18 Brentford
19 Walsall
20 Hartlepool
21 Yeovil
22 Gillingham
23 Exeter
24 Stockport

Haven't actually done my predictions yet, was waiting a bit longer to see what panned out signings wise! I do think though, as others have said that you're being a bit over generous to Charlton in particular.

If they keep the squad they have now, Then they have one of the best squads in the league.

We all know what Bailey is capable of, and Jonjo Shelvey is every bit as good as his hype suggests he is. Say what you like about him at Championship level, but Izale McLeod scored consistently at this level with MK Dons, and Andy Gray is far too good for this league. Lloyd Sam is capable of taking teams apart on the wing, and I just think the combined threat will be far too good for the bottom half of the division.

I think people are writing them off a bit purely for their performances in the Championship, which is a completely different style of football... They have all the ingredients to do very, very well in League One and there's not much separating the Play-Off contenders.

If they keep the squad they have now, Then they have one of the best squads in the league.

Lloyd Sam is capable of taking teams apart on the wing, and I just think the combined threat will be far too good for the bottom half of the division.

I think people are writing them off a bit purely for their performances in the Championship, which is a completely different style of football... They have all the ingredients to do very, very well in League One and there's not much separating the Play-Off contenders.

Interesting read, ESB & you clearly know your L1 onions. Lloyd Sam must have improved a lot from the ineffective player I saw on loan to us a couple of seasons ago though...

There is always one surprise team in the division - this year it will be Brighton

There is always one team that struggles when they are expected to do good things - this year it will be Millwall..

Huddersfield still have a lot to prove at this level. I think Norwich and Leeds will walk the league

You're a braver man than me.The last time i bet on SUFC i missed out on an £800 accumulator. *****!!!

NEVER bet on SUFC!!

:):):)

yep an interesting and somewhat daunting read, beginning to think that survival should be our main aim, plenty of good fixtures tho

A very good article ESB.

I have to say that i am alot more optimistic now after signing Kisnorbo and watching our last friendly. We looked the better side against a strong premiership side, Blackburn Rovers.

We are probably one of the best attacking sides in this league. Our problem last year was conceding too many stupid goals, if we had have been better organized earlier last season we would have gone up in second place.

Grayson looks as if he has sorted that and Kisnorbo looks a very good signing at this level, add him to Naylor and we should be a much harder side to play against.

If we manage to keep the same manager past november we could actually be a threat to the top this year.........

A very good article ESB.

I have to say that i am alot more optimistic now after signing Kisnorbo and watching our last friendly. We looked the better side against a strong premiership side, Blackburn Rovers.

We are probably one of the best attacking sides in this league. Our problem last year was conceding too many stupid goals, if we had have been better organized earlier last season we would have gone up in second place.

Grayson looks as if he has sorted that and Kisnorbo looks a very good signing at this level, add him to Naylor and we should be a much harder side to play against.

If we manage to keep the same manager past november we could actually be a threat to the top this year.........

I saw you'd signed Kisnorbo... Excellent acquisition for this League, you'll be hard pressed to find a better defender. In a World Cup year as well, he'll be dying to impress.

Back