• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essential Southend landmarks

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
One of my favourites is Kings Off Licence on Hamlet Court Road.

An amazing window display and once inside there is very little you cant buy, from groceries to craft beers, cigars to adult interest publications.

The owners do a fantastic job of hiding their contempt for the clientele who are a rum bunch indeed.

My favourite every landmark was lost in the name of 'progress'. It saddens me to think that no young male, no matter how cool his Mk 2 Cortina, will ever get the chance to cruise past Slags Wall.

The gas tanks, at Chase Road, Progress Road, Shoebury ones. Always a source of wonder how they went up and down while containing gas.

The mechanical pirate axe thing that used to be on the seafront. I take it that's gone?

Remember that square ice cream stand opposite WH Smiths/McDonalds on the high street that used to sell sweets and things?

At least we have the pram shop opposite RH. If anyone was making a film set in the 70's they wouldn't have to spend a single penny on that location.

At least we have the pram shop opposite RH. If anyone was making a film set in the 70's they wouldn't have to spend a single penny on that location.

Ha! My wife pointed that out to me on our way back to Southend airport last Sunday afternoon. She (and my late mother ) both made good use of it back in the day.

The statues that you could climb in at the precient and the hole wall in Vic Ave

I think we should turn this into a Hop on hop off bus schedule. So starting off a Fosetts Farm to view the lovely new ground where would Ron's Double Decker bus stop off... Lets see if we can get to 20... I have added a couple

Fossetts Farm Football Stadium
Boots and Laces to view the remains of the David Beckham Football Academy
gas tanks, at Chase Road, Progress Road
Kursaal
The night Route might include a stop at York Road :smile:
mechanical pirate axe thing that used to be on the seafront
The Pier
Kings Off Licence on Hamlet Court Road
Canvey island home of Dr Feelgood
Ron Martin Towers - Home of Southend's answer to Donald Trumps hair
Roots Hall Housing Estate (used to be a football ground)

The alley way behind the West Stand, where you could walk down to outside the North Bank, & The Nelson pub back in it's hey-day many years ago.

Hey Chaps!

That thing you could crawl through in Victoria precinct. It was on the 2nd or 3rd floor and had open clam or oyster shells on it or something.
Used to always stink of ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Chaps!

That thing you could crawl through in Victoria precinct. It was on the 2nd or 3rd floor and had open clam or oyster shells on it or something.
Used to always stink of ****.

No idea who the child is, but this is Lobbie the Lobster, there was also a crab and, as you say, clam shells too.

1239803_1059079344130696_2788606895791043983_n.jpg

Back