• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex 2017 (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Foster has now been relieved of the captaincy. Must be Ravi to take over or is there an overseas signing lurking to do the job?

Saw today that Foster will not be club captain next season, they haven't said who will be though apparentley we will be enlightened in the new year. Ravi or RTD you'd expect.

Depends if RTD and Ravi will be collecting their rupees at the IPL this year. My outsider for the job is Tom Westley.

Depends if RTD and Ravi will be collecting their rupees at the IPL this year. My outsider for the job is Tom Westley.

Outsider?

I'd say he's the favourite.

Has captained England u19 and Durham UCCE and is available all year. I think he may also be one of the players being coached on leadership by Flower. This article behind the Times paywall may say more (I haven't got a subscription)

Silverwood wouldn't have been my choice, but I like what he's done so far.

This article behind the Times paywall may say more (I haven't got a subscription)

I do. Here you go...

It seems something of a luxury for English cricket, after a tortured couple of years, to be pondering the next generation of leaders rather than the fates of the present crop of captains. Alastair Cook will board a plane for the Test tour to South Africa on Thursday secure in his position as captain, despite the recent series defeat by Pakistan, while Eoin Morgan returned from UAE with comprehensive series wins in both white-ball formats.
The succession planning for life beyond Cook and Morgan is well under way, though, and it is here that the influence of Andy Flower is being brought to bear. In Dubai today, England Lions will begin a five-match Twenty20 series against Pakistan A, part of a winter programme with a sole focus on one-day cricket.
Flower is head coach of the Lions, yet another strand of the multifaceted role that he has taken on since resigning as coach of the senior England team. It — bearing the unwieldy job title of technical director of elite coaching — is to cultivate the next generation of England captains.
James Vince, fresh from his successful first series with Morgan’s Twenty20 team, will be the Lions’ captain, but he has been among a group of players undertaking military-style training to develop leadership skills.
The issue of England’s captains-in-waiting was brought into focus recently when Morgan was rested during the Twenty20 series against Pakistan, handing the reins on to Jos Buttler, his nominated vice-captain. Buttler had never captained in senior cricket and was given a baptism of fire in Dubai, pressed into organising his bowlers and their field settings amid the frantic final stages of a Twenty20 run chase, which England eventually won by three runs.
Just as net practice can never quite emulate the adrenaline of the middle, so Buttler sampled for the first time the heightened emotions that come with responsibility. “It’s a lot more emotional,” he said. “You ride the highs and lows more, but I enjoyed it.”
In Test cricket, Joe Root is Cook’s vice-captain and anointed heir. Like so many who graduate early to international cricket in the age of central contracts, Root has precious little practical experience of captaincy, having led Yorkshire just three times.
Cook was in a similar situation while he was being groomed for the captaincy and, in 2010, he was given a dry run when Andrew Strauss was rested for the tour of Bangladesh. Next autumn, England are due to visit Bangladesh and the possibility of giving Root the same responsibility is being mooted. This shortage of leadership experience among emerging players is a gaping hole that Flower is trying to plug.
For the Lions players, part of their preparation for the tour to the UAE was a visit to the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst. It included a problem-solving scenario that required players to take charge of an island ravaged by a hurricane where the airport had been blown up, bridges destroyed and plans had to be formulated for distributing medicine and food in limited time. Players were ordered by four Sandhurst officers to outline their strategies.
“I was up on stage and got grilled about something I wasn’t really too sure about,” Vince said. “It was a bit uncomfortable at times, but I think everyone got something out of it.”
Gemma Morgan, a management consultant with a military background, has spent two weeks in Dubai alongside Flower and the Lions players, working to improve different aspects of their leadership skills and encouraging the squad to become increasingly self-reliant. In that respect, a leadership group including Vince, Tom Westley, the vice-captain, Dawid Malan and Ross Whiteley have been designing training sessions and asking for input from the coaches only when required. “It’s important that we become our own leaders and this was one step towards doing that,” Westley said.
Not all the knowledge gleaned by the captains-in-waiting is the result of leadership coaching, though, or of military instruction. “Keith Fletcher was a renowned Essex captain and he still watches a lot,” Westley said. “So I try to catch him for a coffee to talk about the tactical side of things.”
Once upon a time, those pearls of wisdom would have been dispensed over a post-match pint, but their value has seldom been higher.

Who will follow Cook?

Joe Root
Test vice-captain
Four first-class matches as captain, one for England Lions in 2013 and three games for Yorkshire last year.

Jos Buttler
One-day vice-captain
Before leading England in Dubai recently, he had never captained in senior cricket, his experience limited to brief stints for England Under-18 and Somerset second XI.

James Vince
England Lions captain
Should gain more experience than most, having led Hampshire’s one-day side and been appointed four-day captain for 2016.

Tom Westley
England Lions vice-captain
Highly rated in his time as England Under-19 captain and has led Durham MCCU, but yet to captain Essex.

Hats off to Dan Lawrence who kicked off the U19 World Cup with 174! :cool:

decent today as well, half century and got 2 wickets against WI

he's doing pretty well. If he does have a decent start to the season what chance of Michael Vaughan being proved right? He said England should be looking at getting Dan Lawrence in to open with Cook if Hales continues to fail

I can't remember an off-season like it.

There's probably an element of marketing to it, but there are constant stories coming out - new captain, new overseas signings, new non-overseas signings from overseas, new vice captain, players extending deals.

All we now need is a statement that Essex want to represent the whole county and will reinstate the Southend Festival.

Fascinating contest between Essex past, present and future at the Pakistan Premier League.

With 57 needed off 4 overs

Wahab Riaz to Bopara 9 off the over
Shaun Tait to Bopara 26 off the over

I can't remember an off-season like it.

There's probably an element of marketing to it, but there are constant stories coming out - new captain, new overseas signings, new non-overseas signings from overseas, new vice captain, players extending deals.

All we now need is a statement that Essex want to represent the whole county and will reinstate the Southend Festival.

Riaz really is a coup IMO, exactly what we need.

As for the Southend festival, i'm not too fussed seeing as I live right next to the county ground :winking: All for scrapping the Colchester festival in favour of Southend though

I know! and to announce it just a month before the start of the season! Don't understand why it has to be rushed through? They can't change the t20 into a franchise tournament until 2019 when the tv deal is up so why does the top league need fewer fixtures so urgently that they announce only 1 promotion spot so close to the start of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back