• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex 2020

Incredible performance. I think the win was as important (if not more important) for the morale and confidence of the side, as it was for the points gained. Had been listening to the commentary on my phone, whilst working downstairs but felt obliged to come up and watch the end on the streaming. Those last overs were slow, stressful and torturous!

Glad we are getting young players doing well, and seems if you play for Essex, you get overlooked for England, suits us as a county, but must be hard for players especially Porter who I rave about

When the likes of Mr Injuryprone Topley gets in the ODI squads, I wonder what they see different to someone that goes and watches all formats

Glad we are getting young players doing well, and seems if you play for Essex, you get overlooked for England, suits us as a county, but must be hard for players especially Porter who I rave about

When the likes of Mr Injuryprone Topley gets in the ODI squads, I wonder what they see different to someone that goes and watches all formats

I think the ECB seem to have certain criterias for bowlers. I don't think Porter is quick enough for the selectors liking. Topley is part of the left armer obsession they have. To be fair to Topley he has done everything England have asked him to, in terms of his moves around county's etc so a bit of faith in him when returning from injury was probably the right thing to do. For me he isn't good enough and wouldn't be anywhere near the squad if he wasn't a lefty

I think the ECB seem to have certain criterias for bowlers. I don't think Porter is quick enough for the selectors liking. Topley is part of the left armer obsession they have. To be fair to Topley he has done everything England have asked him to, in terms of his moves around county's etc so a bit of faith in him when returning from injury was probably the right thing to do. For me he isn't good enough and wouldn't be anywhere near the squad if he wasn't a lefty

Porter is no slower than Ollie Robinson who they've picked for the next test squad or Abbas who'll tie them up in knots.

I think Topley is class and should be in the white ball squad. His delivery point with his height and angle from being a left-armer is pretty unusual (although the man currently batting for Essex has a similar one), he moves the ball and has all the necessary variations. He's the type of talent you give every opportunity to - although with him I think the main thing is fitness. You surely aren't suggesting Porter ahead of him in white ball cricket?

Porter is no slower than Ollie Robinson who they've picked for the next test squad or Abbas who'll tie them up in knots.

I think Topley is class and should be in the white ball squad. His delivery point with his height and angle from being a left-armer is pretty unusual (although the man currently batting for Essex has a similar one), he moves the ball and has all the necessary variations. He's the type of talent you give every opportunity to - although with him I think the main thing is fitness. You surely aren't suggesting Porter ahead of him in white ball cricket?
No, Porter is a red ball player IMO.

My point was more a historical one, Robinson is is in because his success against Australia A. Maybe if he were successful for England it would open the door for slower bowlers that hit the line snd length. I don't disagree about Abbas either but that has little to do with England's selection policy.

I guess we'll see with Topley. I don't think he is a bad player but when I look at what we have in the white ball bowling dept, he doesn't warrant consideration. It's just my opinion though. I wasn't a fan of Woakes at all when he started with England and he has well and truly proved me wrong

Cook and Porter look like classic English seamers, perfect for domestic cricket but just too slow for the very top level. But then you look at Abbas and he's slower than Porter and averages 20 in Test match cricket! That is incredible. So it can be done. But he's fast medium and can't bat. I think there's only space for Anderson doing that job at the moment probably. Then Overton and Robinson are similar pace and can bat. I actually saw somewhere that Robinson has taken more wickets than Porter over the last few years so he's probably in front of Porter

Cook and Porter look like classic English seamers, perfect for domestic cricket but just too slow for the very top level. But then you look at Abbas and he's slower than Porter and averages 20 in Test match cricket! That is incredible. So it can be done. But he's fast medium and can't bat. I think there's only space for Anderson doing that job at the moment probably. Then Overton and Robinson are similar pace and can bat. I actually saw somewhere that Robinson has taken more wickets than Porter over the last few years so he's probably in front of Porter

Second division though.

Back