• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2018

Browne unfortunately run out for 66 runs. Lets hope Cook can continue a good days batting.

Essex 151-1.

In other news, Yorkshire were 166-6 earlier, which was good news at the time, in terms of putting a bit breathing space between them and us, but sadly have recovered and now are 264-6

Edit: Blast Cook out for 96, Essex now 176-2.

Hopefully we won't collapse and can make it to a 350+ score, for the batting bonus points.

YB, The birthday boy is on, lets hope he can hit a ton and have a day for all of us to remember.

Last edited:
Westley gone early again for just 21 runs. :sad:

What do we do with him this season?, his last 10 innings.....

Duck
Duck
Duck

From 150-0 to 204-3, for just 54 runs and within less than 16 overs. As others have previously said, our batting just isn't nowhere good enough this season.

Essex now 204-3 at tea.

Last edited:
Essex going great guns (for once in a while)

Bopara went for 118 & TDS on a 173....can he make a double ton? I certainly hope so, he deserves it.

We declared at 517-5. Mmmmm....think we could have batted for slightly a bit longer myself.

Hard pushed to get a result here now.

Maybe if we can get a lead of 250 by the first interval tomorrow we could try to force something.

As i said in an earlier post & the BBC commentators said, they were really surprised at TDS declaring about 11 overs before tea last night. We could have realistically put another 45 odd runs on the board. giving us a 562 lead with a follow on needed by Somerset of 412.

Instead, when we declared at 517, Somerset avoided the follow on of 368 (which they did) & are now all bowled out for 407. Trailing by 110 runs.

IMO... Poor decision by our captain.

But lets see what the remainder of the evening brings.

Currently, As you said, a draw is a pretty much a nailed on conclusion, but I feel we could have had a small opportunity of winning this in hindsight.

Tough call on the declaration.

I can see why he chose to. The two bites with the new ball either side of the interval and a full session bowling under lights (sort of) but in hindsight, yes, maybe another 50 runs could have been handy.

Crap....

Gets worse...

Now lost the "birthday boy Pepper" has also gone tonight!!

Essex now 1-2. :Thumbs down:

Last edited:
If we collapse tonight, our nailed on draw is fast looking like a loss.

I believe Cookie is sick as well (tonsillitis).

. :Thumbs down:

Westley is currently having all the form of Nouble in a Southend shirt!!

As one of our opening batsman, he is now averaging barely 12 runs this season. SHOCKING!!!

Last edited:
If we collapse tonight, our nailed on draw is fast looking like a loss.

I believe Cookie is sick as well (tonsillitis).

. :Thumbs down:

That doesn't sound good.

Could be interesting tomorrow.

We did bowl Somerset out in a session at Chelmsford last season! :Thumbs up:

Btw, That's asking a lot of Michael Pepper to go out under lights in that situation tonight.

Bit disappointing that a senior player didn't take the three spot.

Cooks in the ground today, but wont start before 7th batsman.

In other news, Surrey cement their top place spot with a 7 wicket victory over Yorkshire, and 2nd place Nottinghamshire also look quite comfortable, with bottom side Worcestershire currently needing more than 400 runs to win.

Last edited:
Yep. The good news, I guess, is that a draw and a decent haul on bonus points from this one will push us closer to Somerset.

Hopefully Notts won't pull of a win and Worcester can bat out the day/night.

If it ends up a draw, I think we will only be a single point closer than before the match started.

I might be wrong though, it could be 2.

Only a point! :Stunned:

I demand a recount for our swashbuckling first innings display!

Just when i started to feel confident from our appalling start, we go from 106-2 to 107-3 and then 111-4...and it all feels worrying again.

Currently have a 221 lead though. However, i think the commentators idea at the start of the day of going into the break with a 320 lead is impossible now.

Correction, Dick got it wrong, he was basing it on overs, rather than time..... I think these day / night games is giving him jet lag!! :Smile:.... he thought we had another 6 overs to play.

Anyway, Essex currently 125-4 at the break with a lead of 235.

Edit: 152-6 Now :Sorry:

Last edited:
Back