• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2018

Hours later, i'm still over the moon about beating the champions Surrey. Who was the last team to complete a whole season unbeaten?.....ooohh thats right!! :Winking:

As a season review, what do you look back on, and think we could have made 2nd place or even had been challenging closer than Somerset did for the title..

For me, the one's that stick out in my mind straight away were the 1st match of the season against Yorkshire, which was a complete washout without a ball being bowled. And the match that was drawn against Somerset in late June.

The loss to Yorkshire after bowling them out for 50 was a huge setback. I think we did well latterly and regained form which, with ANC next season may bear fruit. I am hopeful.

Yeah i forgot about that one, talking of Cook (the other younger one, Sam) i see has signed a new 2 year contract.

The jury is still out on that one for me.

My views on the season

LOW

ODI was a big disappointment , really thought we would get in the finals of one of them after the pre season talk
Ravi was not the player he was,and maybe another season in him imho, sad to see Foster retire, great player and servant to the club, shame in an era when keepers were not in short supply
Mid season wobble, seemed the players were not to gether as a unit, maybe the Yorkshire defeat hit them harder than we know
Porter not picked for the winter tour

HIGH

A good third place ,it was never going to be easy after winning the league, Capt Cook announcing he has signed a new contract for Essex, Porter taking wickets again
Youth policy coming through the ranks and future looking good for both County and country

A brilliant summer of weather saw a lot of good cricket, pleased the faithful who turned up on match days, didn't moan re not winning the league and understanding it was going to be a tough season, different breed to football thank god,when supporting

The excitement of the India touring team and close games, 4/5 day not longer boring with some of the results (Yorks and Surrey to name two), Kent being promoted and kindly will give us maximum points next season, Surrey richly deserving the title, one of the best teams I have witnessed in many years, bring on next season it all looks good

Ratings

ODI 4/10 Much work needs to be done, in getting harmony in the team, seemed very disorganised on the field

4 dayer 8/10 Never going to be easy to retain the trophy, Yorkshire defeat a massive blow,but then last game showed they can get over the wire

UTE

To the highs I would add the consistency of Harmer and Quinn’s bowling, thought he was excellent at the oval.
For the lows I would mention the form of the top five which has to be coupled with how pitches were prepared. Long hot summers should come with shed loads of runs. Never going to develop test batsmen on wickets moving sideways. Games over in little over two days does no favours to anyone.

My views on the season

LOW

ODI was a big disappointment , really thought we would get in the finals of one of them after the pre season talk
Ravi was not the player he was,and maybe another season in him imho, sad to see Foster retire, great player and servant to the club, shame in an era when keepers were not in short supply
Mid season wobble, seemed the players were not to gether as a unit, maybe the Yorkshire defeat hit them harder than we know
Porter not picked for the winter tour

HIGH

A good third place ,it was never going to be easy after winning the league, Capt Cook announcing he has signed a new contract for Essex, Porter taking wickets again
Youth policy coming through the ranks and future looking good for both County and country

A brilliant summer of weather saw a lot of good cricket, pleased the faithful who turned up on match days, didn't moan re not winning the league and understanding it was going to be a tough season, different breed to football thank god,when supporting

The excitement of the India touring team and close games, 4/5 day not longer boring with some of the results (Yorks and Surrey to name two), Kent being promoted and kindly will give us maximum points next season, Surrey richly deserving the title, one of the best teams I have witnessed in many years, bring on next season it all looks good

Ratings

ODI 4/10 Much work needs to be done, in getting harmony in the team, seemed very disorganised on the field

4 dayer 8/10 Never going to be easy to retain the trophy, Yorkshire defeat a massive blow,but then last game showed they can get over the wire

UTE

If we’re talking fc then Ravi should be one of the highs.

6th in Div 1 averages with 751 @ 41.72 - an outstanding effort in one of the toughest batting seasons for many a year.

He topped both the run-scoring charts and batting averages for Essex.

The batting lows would be Browne with 414 @ 24.35, Lawrence 468 @ 23.40, Chopra 201 @ 15.46 and Westley (who thankfully seemed to have turned it around at the end) who recovered to 687 @31.23.

Others: AN Cook 412 @ 37.45
RtD 680 @ 37.78
Wheater 340 @ 34.00
Harmer 460 @ 27.06

The lows: List A and T20 cricket.

Reece Topley has left Hampshire after three years. The grass isn’t always greener young man and you’re in real danger of throwing a promising career down the pan. Left arm seamers are in short supply and good ones even more so. Hope he sorts himself out, finds a county and stays injury free. He’s only 24 - still time.

Reece Topley has left Hampshire after three years. The grass isn’t always greener young man and you’re in real danger of throwing a promising career down the pan. Left arm seamers are in short supply and good ones even more so. Hope he sorts himself out, finds a county and stays injury free. He’s only 24 - still time.

I think his injury struggles vindicate his decision to leave tbh. With his body as seemingly fragile as his, he needs to earn what he can from cricket whilst he can.

Whilst I'm sure he's in demand, I wonder if a return to Essex (a la Wheater and Chopra) might be on the cards? Our white ball side definitely needs strengthening.

Either way, I wish him all the best for the future and hope he can get and stay fit. He'll be an asset for England if he can.

There could be a opportunity with Dixon being released but his fitness would be the main issue. Don’t think we have white ball only players (not a big enough county for that) so he would have to sign a contract which includes the longer game. Not hundred percent here but he also may have left under a bit of cloud. One or two might not welcome him back so easily. I’m not sure he would want to either TBH. His dad will be a major factor where he ends up.

There could be a opportunity with Dixon being released but his fitness would be the main issue. Don’t think we have white ball only players (not a big enough county for that) so he would have to sign a contract which includes the longer game. Not hundred percent here but he also may have left under a bit of cloud. One or two might not welcome him back so easily. I’m not sure he would want to either TBH. His dad will be a major factor where he ends up.

It’s unlikely but he may want to return home and I’m not sure he has the fitness to play much red ball next season. Things have certainly changed since he left.

Elsewhere Harmer won players’ player and bowler of the year; Ravi batsman of the year; Sam Cook young player.

Certainly is.

He's been a great bowler for us, but I reckon there's a couple more centuries in him, as well.

Back