• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2018

For anyone interested, SKY Sports Cricket are running a behind the scenes programme about our preparations for the new season.

It's on at 7:00pm on Saturday evening but no doubt it will be repeated numerous times, as well.

Noticed that Aron Nijjar has been opening the batting in the current match.

Wondering if this is a plan maybe when Cooky is away and Varun Chopra isn't fit.

Good luck this season to the boys and new management

Not the best of starts with Rain, but last season we only needed a couple of sessions to bowl out the opposition, may the trend continue in 2018:Worthy::happy:

Inspection at 13.40

Rain calls of a second day.

Test Cricket in early April doesn't work. If you're going to do it, start the first round at the southern grounds.

Also have to question Yorkshire's attempt to make the pitch playable, did they put covers in place? Super soaker?

100% Agree with you there Shrimper.

I also think it should start later, imo perhaps around in Late April / Early May, as well as it starting in the Southern grounds to begin with.

Leave the Northern teams to play each other in the mid season warmer drier months as well as the southern clubs to play away up north during that period (say June, July And August). At least that way, every cricket fan (regardless of whom they support will stand a higher chance of getting to see some cricket action).

Day Three......& still no play until at least after yet another pitch inspection at 13:40. :unsure:

Update: No play today either!!! :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Blimey, how wet is this outfield!

You'd expect a delay at an out ground, but not at a Test Match venue.

I bet in hindsight Kent wished they had a bit of that northern weather, they were skittled all out for just 64 in their first innings & are currently 84-5 in their second innings. :smile:

Not the best start to the season.

Utter farce from Yorkshire. Should be deducted points. Utter farce from the ECB too. Why play Yorkshire's games at home first when they're rebuilding the Rugby Stand end? Where the problems are.

7% of the season gone and one of Siddle's games wasted.

Blimey, how wet is this outfield!

You'd expect a delay at an out ground, but not at a Test Match venue.

Maybe it's this wet!! :smile:

Da07GH-W4AYo04b.jpg:large

Match abandoned without a ball bowled!! I hear Essex upset at lack of commitment to get the game started. Shame for the players. Onwards to sunny Chelmsford.

Match abandoned without a ball bowled!! I hear Essex upset at lack of commitment to get the game started. Shame for the players. Onwards to sunny Chelmsford.

If only Yorkshires ground was test status, then we would have seen play

Oh hold on ........

To be fair to Yorkshire we did bowl them out cheaply four times last season, so I can see their reluctance to play!

I wonder if we will look back at the end of the season and think "what if" we had additional bonus batting & bowling points from that match.

Perfect cricketing weather, so we will be off and running today.

Looks like it's £15.00 for adults, if anyone is thinking of popping over. :thumbsup:

DbNS7dfXcAAveUD.jpg

Live stream with BBC Essex commentary for anyone interested :-

http://www.essex.ukcricket.tv/livestream

Uncontested toss. Essex batting first. Doesn't look like Alastair Cook is playing as Varun Chopra and Nick Browne are opening the batting.

Last edited:
Teams :-

Ten Doeschate (c), Foster (w), Bopara, Browne, Chopra, Harmer, Lawrence, Porter, Siddle, Walter, Westley

Jennings, Hameed, Davies (w), Livingstone (c), Chanderpaul, Vilas, Clark, Bailey, Mennie, Onions, Parkinson.

Back