• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2019

A maximum of 13 days of cricket scheduled that someone with a job can attend, of which 4 of them are at home (2 in the County Championship, 2 in the Royal London Cup).

No Southend festival, so a big **** you to the south of the county once more.

Why does cricket hate it's supporters so much?

Ravi is due a good consistent season, pushing for 1,000 runs.

I fancy next year could be the one, though he still averaged 41.00 this summer.

Must be me but was very disappointed when I saw him last year
Seemed disinterested a lot of the time when I watched him bowl and bat
Plus side his experience with Cook will be invaluable next term

Ravi was our top runscorer in the Championship last year so I wouldn't like to think what you thought of the season of Lawrence, Westley, Browne, RtD, Cook, Wheater etc!

I thought you would not accept any ones opinion on what they have seen over the season.

So I bow down to your superior knowledge on the team last season, and hope Ravi increases his runs and wickets next year and I see Ravi looking happy and full of enthusiasm for the game

Just out of interest how many games did you see him play ,not looking for a debate just curious how many games you watched

UTE

I thought you would not accept any ones opinion on what they have seen over the season.

So I bow down to your superior knowledge on the team last season, and hope Ravi increases his runs and wickets next year and I see Ravi looking happy and full of enthusiasm for the game

Just out of interest how many games did you see him play ,not looking for a debate just curious how many games you watched

UTE

Only a couple of times live, supplemented by some live-streamed games, TV games and radio commentary.

He looked out of touch with the ball but I'm struggling with the idea that he had a bad season with the bat. It was a tough year for runs generally and he coped better than most. I thought he actually reined his game in a touch. Was it some exuberance with the bat you felt was missing? If so, I took this as a positive.

We can certainly agree that we hope he increases his runs and wickets next year and that he is happy and full of enthusiasm for the game.

It's a funny one with Ravi.

I don't actually remember him playing a significant innings all summer, yet his stats are up there with the best in Division One. Indeed, of those who had 20 innings or more, only two are above him - Rory Burns and James Hildreth.

Ravi was our top runscorer in the Championship last year so I wouldn't like to think what you thought of the season of Lawrence, Westley, Browne, RtD, Cook, Wheater etc!

Add Chopra to that list who hasn't kicked on since his return at all. Browne who was being talked about as a possible England player at one time looks a million miles off that
at present. Westley looks a shadow of his former self and yes, Lawrence had a lean season as you point out. Ravi batted five for most of the championship, scored two tons and four knocks over fifty. He failed to reach double figures on eleven occasions and two of those were ducks.
Maybe I'm spoilt but although not a disaster, I thought he had a rather average season.
Cheers.

Overall, batting, except at The Oval, was hard work with the very dry weather.

Openers around the country struggled. None moreso than our own and with Westley and Lawrence not overly rescuing the starts we had, we were often bowled out cheaply.

I think with Ravi, I just found myself checking the score and thinking we need a knock from Ravi here and too often he seemed to be out cheaply as well. He had 22 innings, so half of those were single figure scores.

I did see one of his centuries, against Worcestershire. He batted well, but Worcester were a beaten side. Skittled out for nothing and heading for relegation with a lightweight and inexperienced bowling attack. Part of the excellent continued development of their youth policy, to be fair.

I rate Ravi a lot, but I'd like to see him step up when others around him have failed a little more than he appeared to this summer.

Last edited:
I see Dimitri Mascarenhas has left. The star of Warne's mural was appointed Assistant Head Coach just last year and was "tasked with improving Essex's white-ball skills in all departments".

He's now "opted not to renew his deal" and Essex will use this "to re-evaluate the coaching set-up."

I wonder if that will include a role of Fozzie?

I see Dimitri Mascarenhas has left. The star of Warne's mural was appointed Assistant Head Coach just last year and was "tasked with improving Essex's white-ball skills in all departments".

He's now "opted not to renew his deal" and Essex will use this "to re-evaluate the coaching set-up."

I wonder if that will include a role of Fozzie?

Would be nice but I think he left with a bad taste in the mouth - might be a bit too soon for a kiss a make up.

Agree on Fozzie, Shrimpers.

Listening to him on commentary during the Surrey match, he wanted another playing deal for a year, but Essex chose not to offer this, so he was taking a coaching post abroad I believe.

Meanwhile, we've signed Cameron Delport for the T20 Blast :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46620964

Having seen him a couple of times for Leicestershire, he opens and goes for it from the start, which is exactly what we need.

Good signing, I think.

Last edited:
Agree on Fozzie, Shrimpers.

Listening to him on commentary during the Surrey match, he wanted another playing deal for a year, but Essex chose not to offer this, so he was taking a coaching post abroad I believe.

Meanwhile, we've signed Cameron Delport for the T20 Blast :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46620964

Having seen him a couple of times for Leicestershire, he opens and goes for it from the start, which is exactly what we need.

Good signing, I think.

Think him and Cook will make a good opening partnership, Cook might not be international standard in the short format but at this level I think he'll shine.

Really? He's made noises that he is looking forward to playing short form cricket again

I think he will play too - he has a T20 100 after all.

Delport is a great signing especially considering he doesn't count towards the overseas quota. I'd rather we have overseas bowlers as the bowling is what wins you T20 tournaments. I'd like to see Delport play the 50 over stuff too but given he's effectively a freelance T20 player now, I'd be surprised if that happened.

Back