• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2019

Perhaps I am reading too much into this (signing) but with Delport arriving I can (now) see Matt Coles departing.

I could be persuaded by Westley over Lawrence for example, but think Lawrence has the higher ceiling in this format. He seemed to figure out what was needed in T20 towards the end of the last campaign.

I'm a bit late to this but I'd be building the batting around Dan Lawrence for this reason. I was hacked off last year with him batting 6-7, he shouldn't play at all unless in top 4, totally wasted at 6-7. He proved that towards the back end of the season, as you say.

Also completely agree with Ravi at 7 and use him in the same way he gets used in the franchise tournaments he plays in and use him as a bowling all-rounder/late hitter. He stalls so many innings at 4 as he places too much value on his wicket. 120 SR for a career strike rate is appalling for somebody who is that talented and must have played 35-40% of his games at Chelmsford. Big re-think needed on T20 anyway, will be an interesting season for it.

You're looking too much into it. He would have been released by now and is probably still in contract.
MC entering the final season of his contract in 2019, a quote taken from ESPN Cric Info:- "His first season for Essex proved to be a total non-event". Stinging criticism.

What I liked about Sir A was that if we ever doubted he would take it easy until retirement, then this is certainly dispelled immediately. He could easily have sat out what is basically a warm-up game but no, he is out there working as hard as ever to contribute to our great county. He didn't even chuck his wicket away at 100, like most do.

Love that. The sort of thing Goochy would have done. Two great legends.

What I liked about Sir A was that if we ever doubted he would take it easy until retirement, then this is certainly dispelled immediately. He could easily have sat out what is basically a warm-up game but no, he is out there working as hard as ever to contribute to our great county. He didn't even chuck his wicket away at 100, like most do.

Love that. The sort of thing Goochy would have done. Two great legends.

He had a good partner in crime as well in Brian Hardie, very under rated player and of course over shadowed by GG

He did, mate.

I was there at Northampton in 1979 when we clinched that first championship. Hardie made a century that day. Cool under pressure. Top bloke.

Season starts today :Clap:

Away to Hampshire. Forecast is Chilly and Windy today, with rain possible this afternoon, forecast looks better for days 2-4 though.

Essex win the toss and elect to bowl first.

Essex
  • Alastair Cook
  • Nick Browne
  • Tom Westley
  • Dan Lawrence
  • Ravi Bopara
  • Ryan ten Doeschate(c)
  • Adam Wheater(wk)
  • Simon Harmer
  • Jamie Porter
  • Sam Cook
  • Matthew Quinn
Start delayed due to bad light

Essex win the toss and elect to bowl first.

Essex
  • Alastair Cook
  • Nick Browne
  • Tom Westley
  • Dan Lawrence
  • Ravi Bopara
  • Ryan ten Doeschate(c)
  • Adam Wheater(wk)
  • Simon Harmer
  • Jamie Porter
  • Sam Cook
  • Matthew Quinn
Start delayed due to bad light

Swap Quinn for Siddle and that is a very good side!

Bopara's rearguard action ends.

107 from 191 balls, following on from his 37* from 69 balls in the first innings.

Great effort. Now can the tail hold out? Will be a tough ask unless the weather unexpectedly helps us out.

Back