• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex County Cricket 2011 Season

How do you wish to discuss Essex cricket this year ?

• New match thread every game plus news threads as and when

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well if DBP is alluding to what i suspect then i'm sickened and horrified, i know it goes on .. hell the world does after the recent high profile shenanigans .. but to find an Essex captain implicit is revolting to me :sick:

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I'm actually alluding to quite the opposite; the rumour I heard was that he may have been involved in revealing to the authorities what was allegedly going on and felt that he could no longer skipper the side having effectively shopped two of his own.

If this is in anyway unsuitable for the forum, please remove. Again it was only rumour, but the person who told me is far to old and sensible to get involved in mere here-say. If true it says a lot for him as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I'm actually alluding to quite the opposite; the rumour I heard was that he may have been involved in revealing to the authorities what was allegedly going on and felt that he could no longer skipper the side having effectively shopped two of his own.

If this is in anyway unsuitable for the forum, please remove. Again it was only rumour, but the person who told me is far to old and sensible to get involved in mere here-say. If true it says a lot for him as far as I'm concerned.

I think you've included enough "alleged" and the like words for it to be ok, and thanks for clearing up your meaning, i certainly feel a lot better about things now ...

Back to "on the pitch" matters and the friendly with Cambridge is petering into a draw however Chris Wright who came in as night watchman hit 77 off 65 balls and Alaistair Cook is 77* at lunch

Last edited:
Nightwatchman is a dirty word in some people's books, but I don't have an issue with it myself.

In fact I prefer Wright in that role than as a bowler.

The season starts today, the earliest start to a cricket season ever, and it looks like the weather is set fair at least as we take on K*nt, with Reece Topley in the 12. I had been told that Essex would sign Kiwi Tim Southee, but he has instead opted for the riches of the IPL. :sad: Paul Grayson & David East have both stated that an overseas bowler will be here to play our second championship game against Middlesex.

Reece Topley plays, according to Sky Sports News who just did an interview with Don.

In other news, we've signed Saffy bowler Lonwabo Tsotsobe as overseas player.

Essex team
AN Cook, BA Godleman, JC Mickleburgh, RS Bopara, MJ Walker, T Westley, JS Foster*†, TJ Phillips, DD Masters, MA Chambers, RJW Topley
Kent team
RWT Key*, JL Denly, SA Northeast, M van Jaarsveld, GO Jones†, DI Stevens, JC Tredwell, AJ Blake, SJ Cook, RH Joseph

Teams listed on Cricinfo. Good start for Essex as Kent's troubles are worse than I thought and they appear to be playing with 10 men.

Looks like 2 teams with batting their strongest suit. I know its early season pitches, but with the sun out, is this a draw in prospect?!

I'd imagine Charlie Shreck is the man missing from that list, as he signed for them yesterday on loan. I can't see us bowling them out today.

EDIT: Just as I say that, Masters bowls fat-boy Key. Great start.

Reece Topley plays, according to Sky Sports News who just did an interview with Don.

In other news, we've signed Saffy bowler Lonwabo Tsotsobe as overseas player.

I'm underwhelmed by the signing of Lopsy Tsotsobe. I wanted someone who could lead the attack in championship cricket and I'm not sure he's the man. He's not express, he's more of a left-armed Masters. If we wanted a left-arm medium pacer who gets a bit of bounce - is that not young Topley? I don't think he'll be taking the workload off of Napier and Chambers and he's not all that experienced - just five tests and he's been bowled after Kallis in at least some of those, so he's not exactly the leader of the attack. I suspect we've signed him with an eye on the one-day stuff, which is a bit depressing.

Mind you, I was underwhelmed by the last South African we signed, Amla, and he was an outstanding signing so let's hope I'm wrong again.

*sigh*

Makes me wish I was at Chelmsford - not least to see how young Mr. Northeast is progressing...

Sadly still in according to cricinfo.

A wicket with his third ball in Championship cricket.

I think I'm officially on the Reece Topley bandwagon:loyalsupporter:

Kent now 42-3, Topley getting Denly with his 3rd ball, and now Masters has got van Jaaarsveld

Edit - Cricinfo has Topley as LMF, I'm sure I read somewhere that he'd been timed at 90mph +

Kent now 42-3, Topley getting Denly with his 3rd ball, and now Masters has got van Jaaarsveld

Edit - Cricinfo has Topley as LMF, I'm sure I read somewhere that he'd been timed at 90mph +

Indeed I've been told that Topley is quick. I'm not sure about Tsotsobe, but Essex do have a history of bringing in unheralded overseas players and them becoming very good players in turn. But then we've also signed Hugh Page & Scott Brandt in the past.

Is that Topley or another young left-armer Tymal Mills?

Indeed I've been told that Topley is quick. I'm not sure about Tsotsobe, but Essex do have a history of bringing in unheralded overseas players and them becoming very good players in turn. But then we've also signed Hugh Page & Scott Brandt in the past.

Brandt was a left-armer as well, wasn't he?

90/4. Masters picks up Jones, gives him figures of 7.3-0-22-3 :clap:

Edit - just looked at Kent's line-up and Tredwell is due in next :hilarious:. So this means they'll comfortably rack up 300+ from here...:sad:

Last edited:
Back