• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex Cricket 2013

Shaun Tait signs for the T20 series.

Really? Wow. We must think pace is the way to go in T20.

Tait, Mills, Saj and Napes is a seriously quick attack. In fact, I think I'd go as far as to say it would be the quickest quartet in world cricket at the moment.

I doubt we'll get to see it though as we'll probably want Greg Smith and Tim Phillips to bowl:nope: plus Masters.

Adam Wheater has bought himself out of his contract and signed for Hampshire. Another youngster allowed to leave then and leaves us a batsmen short whilst the RTD & Shah are counting their money in IPL.

That's a big shame. He's always looked a talented batsman and was probably the best outfielder at the club, so it's a surprise he still wishes to pursue wicketkeeping.

1st day of the CC today.

And we're off to a good start.

Gloucestershire 34/2 (11.0 ov)
Essex
Essex won the toss and elected to field

Bowling O M R W Econ
DD Masters 6.2 2 12 2 1.89
TS Mills 3 1 6 0 2.00
MA Chambers 3 1 16 0 5.33

Essex team
T Westley, RJ Quiney, BT Foakes, RS Bopara, ML Pettini, JS Foster*†, GM Smith, GR Napier, DD Masters, MA Chambers, TS Mills

MODS - Would you be able to to "Sticky" this thread please.

Can someone please, please explain to me why Greg Smith has been picked?

He's a 29yo South African journeyman so it's not to get the ECB subsidy and he's not one for the future. Excluding the warm-up game against Cambridge Uni he failed to pass 50 in first class cricket last year, whilst taking just 6 wickets at 67 in 9 first class games.

We've got 4 proper seamers plus Ravi as 5th seamer and Westley as spin option so it can't be that we need his bowling. He averaged less than 20 in the championship last season so it can't be for his batting.

He must the most amazing fielder ever.

Grayson OUT!

Greg Smith is a slow bowling option early season when they don't pick Craddock.

71-3 at lunch. Golden Arm Ravi picking up a wicket with his third ball.

Greg Smith is a slow bowling option early season when they don't pick Craddock.

71-3 at lunch. Golden Arm Ravi picking up a wicket with his third ball.

Westley can do that.

He picked up more wickets than Smith last season. I'm not even sure how many of Smith's six first class wickets last season in nine matches were with his off-breaks as opposed to his medium-fast seam-up.

Smith can only at best be the seventh bowling option because six different bowlers have bowled at least five overs and he's yet to be given the ball.

7th bowler and 7th batsman.

Maybe he's also our third wicketkeeper?

Two blokes well set at 300/3 on the first day.

We don't have anything bowling wise. Mid table finish this season.

Essex 101/2 at Tea on Day 3 1st Inns.

Gloucs 409/5 Dec.

Rav and Westers both in the 40s not out.

156-5 overnight if I remember correctly. Need a couple of quick breakthroughs. Hopefully Middlebrook doesn't come back to haunt us!

He didn't, we got them to 171-8 :happy:

However, they then put on 111 for the 9th wicket :thumbdown:

And have so far added another 83 for the 10th :'(:'(:'(

N'hants currently 365-9

Typical Essex

Back