• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex Cricket 2021

We did indeed win by an innings, which I'm delighted about. I have to admit I'm totally and utterly lost as far as the League situation is concerned. I understand we're in League Two, so does finishing top give us promotion???? Or will this silly system, with a Championship season cut in two (no doubt to benefit the more commercial competitions), carry on into next season?
It hasn't been decided yet. They have given the hundred as an excuse but there were other workable solutions, just a bad decision.
It looks like the counties are in favour of doing the same again next season though and continuing the "trial" 12 out of 18 in favour apparently, so think it will be same again

Hashim Amla is doggedly hanging in there for Surrey (107 for 7) at The Oval. At the close of Day 2 the hosts are still 332 runs behind.

Not been mentioned yet so thought i'd put a post on RTDs retirement. Absolute Essex legend, achieved great things. I'd say he's called it right, hasn't looked comfortable with the bat this season. Hope he remains at the club in some capacity.

I'd meant to post as it was announced but got distracted. Pleased that I was as you have said it all Ricky, especially about him staying around.

Thanks for everything Ryan and all the best.

Not been mentioned yet so thought i'd put a post on RTDs retirement. Absolute Essex legend, achieved great things. I'd say he's called it right, hasn't looked comfortable with the bat this season. Hope he remains at the club in some capacity.
My all time favourite South African/Dutch player!

A true legend but as you say I think the time was right. Not that I can get there myself but seeing as he hasn't been in the squad for the last few matches I hope he gets a nice Chelmsford swan song rather the anti-climax given to James Foster.

Can’t remember where but I read an article yesterday that there may be some internal issues between some players (Cook included) and Irani. Shame if that’s the case. Anyone know anything?

Apparently some players including Alistair Cook think Irani has too much input to the team and are unhappy.Irani allegedly said there was a drinking culture amongst the players which was denied.Irani was leaving to concentrate on his business but now rumours he may be staying on in some capacity

A true legend but as you say I think the time was right. Not that I can get there myself but seeing as he hasn't been in the squad for the last few matches I hope he gets a nice Chelmsford swan song rather the anti-climax given to James Foster.
Saw an interview with him on the Essex website and he said he has played his last game for us ☹️.

Will be a presentation and speech at lunch on the first day this week - the only day I can't make!

Any earlier in the season and the picture inspector would have been summoned to New Writtle Street.....23 wickets on first day!

Or are they just having a jolly up in a dead fixture?

Any earlier in the season and the picture inspector would have been summoned to New Writtle Street.....23 wickets on first day!

Or are they just having a jolly up in a dead fixture?
It needs a batting inspector.

They should though do away with the 10:30am starts in September IMO.

Blimey, just seen that.

Surely someone needs to ask a few questions?

Does anyone out there know why they were actually playing these dead rubbers for or is there some incentive at the end of the day? Or are the ECB making it up as they go along?

Blimey, just seen that.

Surely someone needs to ask a few questions?

Does anyone out there know why they were actually playing these dead rubbers for or is there some incentive at the end of the day? Or are the ECB making it up as they go along?
They’re making it up as they go along. They announced there would be a 2nd division trophy but then it wasn’t there when Essex inevitably won.

Back