• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex Cricket 2021

I think we are in need of a new batsman to fill the RTD void, plus we have lost chopra (who we resigned but never played) obviously lost ravi a couple of seasons ago too and was never replaced. Sam Northeast would have been a good signing IMO, he's gone to Glamorgan and if Glamorgan can attract him then I'd have thought we could have.

Yep, I agree. Maybe our next overseas signing should be a batsman.

We haven't tried this in red ball for a number of years.

There are some good youngsters coming through, but I'd say another couple of years before we'll know if they can hold down a place regularly.

Yep, I agree. Maybe our next overseas signing should be a batsman.

We haven't tried this in red ball for a number of years.

There are some good youngsters coming through, but I'd say another couple of years before we'll know if they can hold down a place regularly.
I'm not entirely sure but I think Alistair Cooks contract is up, unless he signed an extention that I missed? If he decides to call it a day then we are in real trouble in the batting dept

His contract is up, but I think he is committed for another season.

There's a gap for anyone who can hold down a place. Feroze Khushi should be that player, but I think they did convincing he can bat long in 4 day cricket. Josh Rymell and Michael Pepper have both been tried, this summer.

It's definitely a work in progress and as such, I think Alastair Cook will stay for another summer. He is clearly still very fit and loves playing.

His contract is up, but I think he is committed for another season.

There's a gap for anyone who can hold down a place. Feroze Khushi should be that player, but I think they did convincing he can bat long in 4 day cricket. Josh Rymell and Michael Pepper have both been tried, this summer.

It's definitely a work in progress and as such, I think Alastair Cook will stay for another summer. He is clearly still very fit and loves playing.
But there is the Irani situation that puts it in doubt in my mind, with others commiting their futures it seems strange there has been no announcement on Cook.

My gut feeling is that it will be resolved. It wouldn't surprise me if, post-playing, they will offer Cook a place on the staff.

Great signing for Essex - Matt Critchley on a 3-year deal

Big statement signing.

RtD and Chopra retiring will have cleared some wage room for this but I wonder where this leaves Aaron Nijjar and Paul Walter and others who are out of contract and will see their paths to the first team blocked. I think I read that no team had more players out of contract than Essex. Hopefully we can retain that depth as that’s crucial for a title push.

Brilliant signing for all 3 formats.

I suspect Walter will still play as a batting all-rounder.

Second division all-rounders (Will Goldman being a prime example), don’t have a great record stepping up into the first division and can end up as bits and pieces players neither good enough with bat nor ball so it will be interesting to see how he fares. The upside as a leg-spinning all-rounder capable of batting top 6 is tantalising and England have shown interest. Derby can be a tough place to bat (and bowl spin) so there is a chance that playing at Chelmsford may actually boost his stats.

I've never really bought into this "all-rounder" tag very few player's imho are as equal at both. For me it's either a batter who can bowl a bit or a bowler who can bat a bit.

Essex chairman has now resigned following racist allegations.

Was totally unaware that John Stephenson had returned to the club as CEO last month.

Last edited:
Back