• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex Cricket 2023

Hopefully Vince does a typical Vince innings, play beautifully then get out to the most moronic shot ever. Pity he does that, he would have made a fine England player if he didn't always do that!

Disappointing defeat but glad we went for it and tried to push a result. could of been a different story if we took the catch for Vince early on.

I initially thought this was the last match of the season then realised there's still one to play.

A shocking end to the season. The title to play for and we lose by an innings in 3 days to a relegated side.

The wheels have come off fast since having Hants 32-4 chasing 267.

This team is now at a crossroads. Our best batter departs for Surrey. Both openers out of contract, out of form and on the downward side of their careers.

Tom Westley had a fine season with the bat but he was the only one to average 40. Matt Critchley had a very solid year and was just shy of that mark as was the now departed Lawrence. They were the only players to average above 35.

Cook averaged 33 and seems set to retire. Next in the averages are the bowlers Harmer and Yadav who averaged 30. Walter averaged just 27 and Browne under 25. The talented Cox joins but averaged even less than Browne. Rossington averaged just 22.

More runs are needed for sure.

A shocking end to the season. The title to play for and we lose by an innings in 3 days to a relegated side.

This team is now at a crossroads. Our best batter departs for Surrey. Both openers out of contract, out of form and on the downward side of their careers.

Tom Westley had a fine season with the bat but he was the only one to average 40. Matt Critchley had a very solid year and was just shy of that mark as was the now departed Lawrence. They were the only players to average above 35.

Cook averaged 33 and seems set to retire. Next in the averages are the bowlers Harmer and Yadav who averaged 30. Walter averaged just 27 and Browne under 25. The talented Cox joins but averaged even less than Browne. Rossington averaged just 22.

Indeed - this Essex side just didn't feel like it should be challenging for the championship.

Completely agree. Fell like time might be up for Browne. Just too inconsistent for me. But if Cook retires can you afford to lose both openers at the same time.

Rather unsurprisingly Sir Alastair Cook has announced his retirement from county cricket with immediate effect. Thanks for you service Cookie.

proper legend. i've made extra effort to watch us the last couple of years coz I was expecting this. Sadly Anderson is now just about the only cricketer playing who's older than me, and I am not happy about this.

On the Essex side, I really hope we give youth a chance to replace him. I've heard we might be in for Dean Elgar. I get that as a senior pro, almost like a player/coach but our batting has been underwhelming for a few years so I'd like to see us give some youth a chance. I thought getting in Jordan Cox was very strange, but done now. I'd like to see us replace from within. If possible we should direct any savings to sorting out the ground coz i'm afraid it is crap.

Back