• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

    Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

    New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

    Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

    Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Feb 17, 2004
Anybody seen this? Not seen it mentioned (if it has, please ignore)

Colchester Gazette said:
A coach company owner has criticised police who stopped a vehicle from attending an Essex football derby, claiming he was the one who suffered.

Officers from across the county swooped on the vehicle on Saturday, which was carrying about 36 people to the Colchester United versus Southend United match at Roots Hall, Southend.

They stopped it at Rayleigh Weir, near the junction of the A127 and the A130, and escorted it to a housing estate. There they boarded the vehicle and issued the passengers with a notice under Section 27 of the Public Order Act, preventing them from attending the match.

The driver was then ordered to head back to Colchester and “not to stop at any cost”.
Tony Glew, who runs Tony Glew Private Hire Service, based in Great Tey, said the police got what they wanted, but that he was left counting the cost after his coach was damaged.

He said: “I was quite annoyed to be honest, because they got the result they wanted – they didn’t want that group going in – but they never said anything to me.

“They had them all contained in a vehicle, my vehicle. I’ve got a coach which is in a mess, things have been broken and busted.”

The driver, who did not want to be named, said: “I think Tony was made a scapegoat. Apparently some of those people had been watched by police for some time.

“I had four panda cars in front and some behind. They told me to keep driving to Colchester and not to stop – they closed all the roads to let me through.”

A spokesman for Essex Police denied it was a pre-planned operation: “Officers had received substantial intelligence only that morning that a number of passengers on the coach were believed to be intent on engaging in violent disorder if they attended the match.

“A decision was made to stop the coach before it reached the stadium and the notices were served. A decision was also made to escort the coach back to Colchester.

“A full investigation is underway into the criminal damage caused to the coach.”

o A 16-year-old boy from Colchester was arrested and subsequently reprimanded for a public order offence.
o A 19-year-old man from Colchester was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage and released on police bail until December 16.