• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Essex Senior Cup Quarter Final - Billericay Town vs Southend United U23's

danburyshrimper

Manager
Billericay v Southend is apparently set to be played on Tuesday 15th Jan at 7.45 ...... although as usual our website makes no mention of it !!!!

With Billericay currently in transitional turmoil i think we are in for a far easier ride than the infamous 7-3 drubbing we took from last season.... although featuring for us that evening were Bishop , Bwomono , Robinson & Yearwood so they will remember it well im sure !!!!

UTB

Yep would love to go to this but working, I still think we will put a very young inexperienced side out which will maybe make the home side favourites still.

I’d like us to go strong as possible in this game. It’s the last 8 and arguably Billaricay would be the biggest obstacle in the way of us winning it? (When was last time Southend won it??)

Unfortunately I can’t see how much stronger we could go without risking injury to players who will / may feature in first team despite probably needing minutes ie McClaughlen, Kightly, Hyam, Smith, McCoulsky.....although he may have left by then....

Should be a good game though

Last edited:
I’d like us to go strong as possible in this game. It’s the last 8 and arguably Billaricay would be the biggest obstacle in the way of us winning it? (When was last time Southend won it??)

Unfortunately I can’t see how much stronger we could go without risking injury to players who will / may feature in first team despite probably needing minutes ie McClaughlen, Kightly, Hyam, Smith, McCoulsky.....although he may have left by then....

Shout be a good game though

2007/8 preceded by 1996/7

Clearly we win it every 11 years !!!!

That last win was Zoltan's finest hour ....... 'til he got picked for Hungary 17 times !

Hoping to get to this one, am I correct to assume we can pay on the gate.

Reckon we will see the likes of Ted Smith, Tom Clifford, Klass, Batlokwa, Kelman, Ba or Wabo in the mix. Plus one or two of our injured players gaining fitness? Maybe Harry Lennon, or even Oxley?

Billericay have lost their last 4 if I read it correct, can’t be good for them at the moment. Payback time for their gloating at the 7-3 me thinks.

Hoping to get to this one, am I correct to assume we can pay on the gate.

Reckon we will see the likes of Ted Smith, Tom Clifford, Klass, Batlokwa, Kelman, Ba or Wabo in the mix. Plus one or two of our injured players gaining fitness? Maybe Harry Lennon, or even Oxley?

Billericay have lost their last 4 if I read it correct, can’t be good for them at the moment. Payback time for their gloating at the 7-3 me thinks.
I very much doubt Harry Lennon will be ready for this.

It's come to something if people think we should be taking this competition seriously.

It's come to something if people think we should be taking this competition seriously.

To be fair fans take this competition more seriously than the management every year, whoever they are. Seem to remember a lot of people being quite irrationally annoyed by last year's defeat to Billers.

Why wouldn’t anyone take it seriously? It’s probably the oldest cup in the county and Southend are the highest ranked team in the competition.

The 23s progressing or winning it would be great news surely?

To be fair fans take this competition more seriously than the management every year, whoever they are. Seem to remember a lot of people being quite irrationally annoyed by last year's defeat to Billers.

A number have never forgiven Barrington Belgrave for a performance in this competition.

If your ever bored or need cheering up, have a look at last years Ricay thread. Adults having toddler tantrums always makes me chuckle.

Lets hope we don't embarrass ourselves again.....On or off the pitch.

I think the Billericay game last year was the turning point in PB's reign as manager. Prior to that game, we'd won 4 and drawn 2 of the previous 8 games, after that we won at Walsall on the following Saturday, but then only won 1 of the next 7 and the wheels had fallen off.

To be fair fans take this competition more seriously than the management every year,

...... but, with a few exceptions, not seriously enough to actually watch the games.

I think the Billericay game last year was the turning point in PB's reign as manager. Prior to that game, we'd won 4 and drawn 2 of the previous 8 games, after that we won at Walsall on the following Saturday, but then only won 1 of the next 7 and the wheels had fallen off.

PB had nothing to do with that game, other than wanting Ranger to play. Ranger skived off the pitch and that was the start of the end for him.

Jack Bridge spent more time whinging to the bench rather than proving himself. I knew he wouldn't be with us for much longer after that. They tried to send Theo out on lone in January after that

Was a costly night indeed for some players and staff.

Back