• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Up until now ive had no trouble with PB and his radio commitments or what ever ,but when SUFC are playing whether it be our 2nd string or even youth side i believe as senior manager /coach he should attend,not be at Shrewsbury versus Chelsea game.Im sorry PB as far as im concerned your presence should have been at Roots Hall watching the players in the club you are manager off.You are quickly losing my support PB.
:thumbdown:

Brief review

Ted Smith - handling was decent, bit awkward at balls coming into the box and probably should have done better for the 3rd. Not ready yet IMO.

Jordon Williams (RB) - good going forward and did well defensively IMO. Similar performance to how he does in the youths.

Dan Matsuzaka (CB) - similar height to Bolger and as dominant in the air as well as good on the floor. Lost Read for his goal, but a similar performance to what he has been doing for the youths.

Cian Bolger (CB) - dominant in the air but a bit suspect on the floor. Had to go off for treatment to a bloody nose.

Kane Farrell (LB) - grew into the game and looks decent going forward but doesn't seem comfortable defending.

Connor Clifford (CM) - tried hard and made some bursting runs through the middle. Looked like he have everything and could tell he was a class above the others.

Jack Bridge (CM) - looks good on the ball, but lacks a final ball. Wasted a glorious chance in the 2nd half when a rebound fell to him and he took a few touches before shooting but only allowed defenders to block the shot.

Jack Payne (CM) - usual from him. Top class goal and made some bursting runs from midfield but most of them came to nothing.

Shaq Coulthirst (Wing) - not entirely sure if he was on the wing or the top of a diamond. Did well and took his goal very well. Coped physically and held the ball well.

Isaac Layne (ST) - comfortable on the ball. Had a couple of one on ones saved, but probably should have scored 1.

Jason Williams (ST) - same as Layne but didn't get any chances. Puts himself about and handles the physical side well.

Subs

Ross Johnson (CM) - youth team captain. Got turned a few times in midfield. Looks like a defensive midfielder when I've seen him in youth games, so he should have been in the position to help prevent the 2nd and 4th goal. Despite the 2nd being a well struck first time volley, their player was unmarked and had loads of time.

Ellis Brown (ST) - didn't have much to do and didn't do much wrong. Won us a corner and kept the ball well but not enough time to give a real view.

Would have rather seen Nico Cotton come on for Coulthirst instead of Johnson. He looks like a tricky winger who can score goals.

Brief review

Ted Smith - handling was decent, bit awkward at balls coming into the box and probably should have done better for the 3rd. Not ready yet IMO.

Jordon Williams (RB) - good going forward and did well defensively IMO. Similar performance to how he does in the youths.

Dan Matsuzaka (CB) - similar height to Bolger and as dominant in the air as well as good on the floor. Lost Read for his goal, but a similar performance to what he has been doing for the youths.

Cian Bolger (CB) - dominant in the air but a bit suspect on the floor. Had to go off for treatment to a bloody nose.

Kane Farrell (LB) - grew into the game and looks decent going forward but doesn't seem comfortable defending.

Connor Clifford (CM) - tried hard and made some bursting runs through the middle. Looked like he have everything and could tell he was a class above the others.

Jack Bridge (CM) - looks good on the ball, but lacks a final ball. Wasted a glorious chance in the 2nd half when a rebound fell to him and he took a few touches before shooting but only allowed defenders to block the shot.

Jack Payne (CM) - usual from him. Top class goal and made some bursting runs from midfield but most of them came to nothing.

Shaq Coulthirst (Wing) - not entirely sure if he was on the wing or the top of a diamond. Did well and took his goal very well. Coped physically and held the ball well.

Isaac Layne (ST) - comfortable on the ball. Had a couple of one on ones saved, but probably should have scored 1.

Jason Williams (ST) - same as Layne but didn't get any chances. Puts himself about and handles the physical side well.

Subs

Ross Johnson (CM) - youth team captain. Got turned a few times in midfield. Looks like a defensive midfielder when I've seen him in youth games, so he should have been in the position to help prevent the 2nd and 4th goal. Despite the 2nd being a well struck first time volley, their player was unmarked and had loads of time.

Ellis Brown (ST) - didn't have much to do and didn't do much wrong. Won us a corner and kept the ball well but not enough time to give a real view.

Would have rather seen Nico Cotton come on for Coulthirst instead of Johnson. He looks like a tricky winger who can score goals.

Good post. so relatively good individual displays but Harlow still beat us 4-2.

Good post. so relatively good individual displays but Harlow still beat us 4-2.

Individually some were decent, thought that Smith, Bolger and Farrell were poor and so was Johnson when he came on. Collectively poor defending for all 4 goals. Losing and not tracking players being the big concern.

As I said for the 2nd and 4th goals, a defensive midfielder like Deegan would have been in the position/tracked their man to prevent the goal. I think it was Bolger would lost Read for both his goals, as he was on him for most of the game.

Individually yes decent, but collectively poor defending for all 4 goals. Losing and not tracking players being the big concern.

As I said for the 2nd and 4th goals, a defensive midfielder like Deegan would have been in the position/tracked their man to prevent the goal. I think it was Bolger would lost Read for both his goals, as he was on him for most of the game.

glad you replied to me the way you did.my response to your post wasn't out of sarcasm. glad it appears you read it well. others take note.
thumbs%20up%20new%20aug%202010.gif

Oh well, that is another cup we are out of then. Now it is clear that Harlow are not a bad side and I think are unbeaten so far this season but to come here tonight and virtually take apart our team, including several first teamers was nothing short of embarrassing. Harlow scored four but it could so easily have been more and if this is the best that our second string can do, then you have to hope that Brown can get some loanees is ASAP when we have players ruled out through injury.

The (two) lowlights of the evening (aside obviously from our performance) was the Harlow fans (who it is fair to say enjoyed themselves very much indeed) singing "can we play you every week" near the end and coming out of the ground hearing another Harlow fan saying to his mate that "Lewes on Saturday will be a much harder test than Southend gave us tonight"... Sort of put the night into perspective for me. :thumbdown:

Chester must be running their hands at the thought of playing us. Our first team are poor and then second string clearly have no desire to push the first 11 based on this performance.

My first thoughts are that the 'senior players' with the exception of Payne, were playing like Prima Donnas. Clifford was lucky to have not been booked on a good few occasions, he put in some runs, but this was out weighed by his recklessness. I think the ref was extremely lenient. Bolger should have been bossing the defence, but their first goal, every defender..including him stood still and watched Read - top scorer - run onto the ball. Shaq was bullied because he was lackadaisical and lost the ball numerous times, his goal was a goal..but it was a lucky goal and didn't reflect his effort or attitude to the game. Payne scored a fantastic goal, was a real piece of quality, but seemed to become frustrated towards the end and over play.

Something that frustrates me is when a player tries to play the ball down the line and kicks it out of play unfortunately I counted the left back do this six times. Right back did a good job, got left a couple of times, but did a good couple of clearances; crossing was a little bit wayward. Dan M seemed very comfortable on the ball for the most part.

Smith - apart from letting in four goals, which I felt was not helped by a shaky defence - was OK although I think his distribution could have been quicker, when you have pacey forwards making a runs, occasionally it's a good option to go for the big kick. I think he did this with the last kick of the game. That said he may have been instructed to slow the game down and play it out. Can't say I saw him making any glaring mistakes.

Bridge ordinarily think he is great, has a great touch, but yesterday had a tendency to overplay, I think it is very hard for him and Payne to play at the same time as they are quite similar in style. Should have scored, he has it in him.

Layne and Williams, as above, play in too much of a similar way to be on the pitch at the same time, seemed to encroach on each others space, both seemed to be 'battling' to play down the middle when it would have been more effective for at least one of them to go wide. Layne did a nice turn in the box which amounted to a shot, but in general a poor first touch. Williams seemed to fade into the background for me, so can't comment too much.

Johnson - at times looked a bit overwhelmed in the game, but have seen that he was being played out of his usual position.

Ellis Brown - seemed agile, and as was stated won a corner, but as previously stated, not given enough time for 'judgement' to be passed.

Must say I was surprised to see a midfielder come on for a striker Johnson/Shaq.......and it made me think were we going for the one goal lead and then 'defending' as has been described in so many first team games? Well we all know how that works out.

Last edited:
I thought the air raid siren when Harlow scored was different. As we score so rarely If we did that fans wouldn't know if it was a goal or WW3

This was dreadful-Harlow missed several absolute sitters.None of the younger players looked anywhere near 1st team standard and you could include Coulthirst in that-his performance was dismal as was Bolger's.You had to feel a bit sorry for the other (young)defenders and goalkeeper who looked completely lost, much of the time.
As you would expect,Payne looked dangerous at times but somebody should have told him long ago that he cannot run through a mass of defenders and keep the ball.His goal was well-placed,but he was allowed ages and ages to set himelf up for the shot.
The only player to emerge with credit was Clifford who showed excellent effort and commitment to back up his superior skills.

It’s a bad day at the office and a team with so many of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] team squad involved should have done better but at the end of the day it is little more than a friendly. The positive I hope that comes from this is we have a serious look at Alex Read, 52 goals last season and 24 already this season is phenomenal, even if it is at Ryman North level. Dwight Gayle wasn’t banging them in like that when he was in the Essex senior league! Someone will take a gamble on this guy soon and we need a goalscorer.

Back