• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex v Warks

BILLERICAY BLUE

Rose Tinted Brigade Member⭐⭐
Warks bowled out for 154 at tea on the 3rd day, Danish taking 6 wickets.

I wonder if they had arranged for a couple of forfieted inns, in which case we could be quids in.

If I was Warwickshire I'd still be hopeful of a substantial first innings lead.

The Essex top 6's averages for the season:

Chopra 19.81
Gallian 29.60
G. Flower 16.75
Middlebrook 22.77
Pettini 25.66
Napier 16.00

If I was Warwickshire I'd still be hopeful of a substantial first innings lead.

The Essex top 6's averages for the season:

Chopra 19.81
Gallian 29.60
G. Flower 16.75
Middlebrook 22.77
Pettini 25.66
Napier 16.00

38-2 at the close. To be fair to the Essex batting line-up, Middlebrook is only in as a night-watchman, and although Cricinfo lists Napier as coming in at six, I'll be flabbergasted if he comes in ahead of Foster (ave: 32.46 this season in the Championship) and ten Doeschate (30.76). In fact, there's a reasonable shout for Chris Wright (41.66) coming in ahead of our one-day hero.

The plan tomorrow (providing there isn't any rain) has to be to try and bat out the day, taking home maximum batting bonus points in a draw. That is unless Pettini and Maddy can come up with an innovative plan for a run-chase, although batting last would more often not count against us in that respect, not because of a wearing pitch (it's hardly been played on after all!) but because the hosts would be ultra-conservate - we need the points more than them, and an Essex win would put us back in the promotion race.

Do you think we will try and go for it and try to win at the risk of losing

Do you think we will try and go for it and try to win at the risk of losing

We engineered a situation to try to bowl Derbyshire out on the last day earlier in the season with some declarations, but it takes both teams to bring about a last-day run-chase, and I would be surprised if Warwickshire, having two games in hand on Worcestershire and not wanting us to catch up having played the same amount of matches, elected to give us a sniff of winning. But I could be proved wrong...!

unless they have agreed to forfeit the first innings there's only one result here a bore draw.

unless they have agreed to forfeit the first innings there's only one result here a bore draw.

We certainly don't want to spend any longer in the field than neccessary* with a pretty big fish to fry on Saturday

* = which also means i advocate a bit of batting practise

On another note are both Cook and Bopara available for the FPT on saturday?

Fortunately so, as I didn't fancy facing Kent with the batting line-up ahead, even if Foster and ten Doeschate are coming in at 5/6 instead of Napier and Middlebrook.

It is embarrassing not having a single player averaging over 35 in your top 6, I mean even sorry Surrey have 3 batsman averaging over 40.

Sod averages, Saturday is a cup final and so they go out of the window. The toss will be important I feel, we need a score to worry them.

Sod averages, Saturday is a cup final and so they go out of the window. The toss will be important I feel, we need a score to worry them.

Those are first class averages, not one-day averages anyway. Agree with you about the toss. These finals tend to be decided on the toss, so lets hope Pettini calls it right and lets us have a go at that Kent batting line-up.

Incidentally, whilst Key and Denly are being tipped by many for England honours, their county championship figures are far from impressive this season:

Key 504 @36
Denly 533 @ 27

The other probable main contender for Andrew Strauss' place, has also had a disappointed season after a very good Lions tour:

Carberry 437 @ 26

The top openers available for England in Div 1 are:

Scott Newman 839 @ 49
Paul Horton 770 @ 48
Andrew Gale 821 @ 45

Division 2

Steffan Moore 1059 @ 56
Rob White 787 @ 49

Moore is a Saffer, Horton was Aussie born but moved to Lancs in his teens. Don't think Newman is international class, Gale has a career fc record under 30 and White's runs are in a lower division and not that overwhelming.

The cupboard looks depressingly bare.

Scott Newman is a solid county player, scores lots of runs but is def not international class. Think Carberry is pretty much in the same boat.

Key I think is the one who will be pushing Strauss for his place, Denly I think may have to wait a while.

Obviously not too many young(ish) English players the top of the batting averages problem stemming from too many Kolpakers being over here.

key is a fat tosser.

averages mean nothing in a cup final and we can't be that bad as we also made the T20 finals day.

the toss will be key especially if we get the expected rain, that and i've had a bet on essex winning the toss.

Agree SUFCESSEX averages mean nothing, Key could have a bad day but his average could still be high

they've just said on bbc essex that there was word of a virus going around the club which they think pettini may have got. perfect timing just ready for tomorrow.

that is not good for us then

Last edited:
Back