• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Afternoon everyone...

Yes, it's back - it's the County Championship... and we're playing Yorkshire at Chelmsford. They won the toss, elected to field, and we've moved at a steady rate to 77/1 off 35 overs.

Big Will Jefferson has already notched his first half-ton of the campaign... top lad! 56 not out off 101 deliveries including 8 fours. Marvellous.

Quite like the look of today's line up as well:

WI Jefferson, AN Cook, GW Flower, RS Bopara, A Flower, *RC Irani, +JS Foster, GR Napier, AJ Tudor, AR Adams, D Gough.

Looks a pretty good line-up to me... although I wouldn't be too sad to see Grant Flower make way for the returning Danish Kaneria.

Indeed, not sure who will make way for Kaneria once he's back from the sub-continent...

Finally, absolutely delighted that we've brought Alex Tudor on board. I would love it if Goughie nursed him back to his best... no reason why Tudor's England days should be behind him.

Ah, leather on willow... it's back, and I'm delighted.

smile.gif

Matt

Great to have it back though isn't it
smile.gif

My 2005 edition of Wisden - just £15 at bol.com - is on its way and I've had a tasty bet on Essex at 8/1 for Division Two!

I don't like cricket....I love it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 13 2005,15:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ April 13 2005,15:24)]I've had a tasty bet on Essex at 8/1 for Division Two!
It has got to be worth a fiver, hasn't it?!

Might investigate that...

Matt
Slightly more than that in my case - although I need to make up for doing my brains on Essex last year  
laugh.gif

101-1, keep it going lads....

117-1

Jeffo 80*
GWF 22* (off of over 100 balls).

I'm with MtS and HKB, booooooo to GWF.

BB

P.S. I love cricket as well, our season starts next Saturday
tounge.gif

Ton up for Jefferson.

Grant Flower is 31no at tea. I think Grant Flower is a massive backwards step for Essex and for once I'd like to see an Essex player fail. However I have a sneaky feeling he'll have a very consistent season for Essex and top 1,000 fc runs and be an influential one-day player.

I'd rather have seen Pettini and Bopara given more responsibility.

To be quite honest, the Kolpak ruling will ruin a lot of promising young English careers, and I am surprised that Essex are taking advantage of it....

Lets hope Cook and Bopara do well enough to stay in the team....
cool.gif
cool.gif

Ton up for Jefferson - what a star!

117 n.o. a superb first day for him. 168/1 off 60.2 isn't exactly lightning pace, but I reckon that's a great first day's cricket - top effort, especially from Big Will!

smile.gif

Hard luck to Big Will... out, going for the ton & a half. Still, 149 is not a bad way to open your season's account.

Grant Flower is there on 55 n.o. off a painfully slow 203 balls; Bopara has joined him at the crease, and has knocked 4 runs... off 3 deliveries!

That's it, Ravi - show Grant how it's done!

tounge.gif

224/2 off 78 overs; steady, but solid progress.

cool.gif

Saw this on This is Essex - very encouraging!

<span style='color:blue'>Graveney hails Jefferson&#39;s ton

024626.jpg

ENGLAND&#39;s chairman of selectors David Graveney was among those who watched Essex opener Will Jefferson cane the Yorkshire attack for a fine century as the county closed on 224 for two on the opening day of their Championship clash at Chelmsford.

The tall right-hander scored 149 before he was dismissed just before the close and Graveney put a stamp of approval on his effort.

&quot;It was an outstanding innings, but he is one of several young players Essex are fortunate to possess,&quot; he said.

&quot;I saw Alastair Cook score a very good century for the MCC earlier in the week, while Mark Pettini also played well in that match.

&quot;And with Graham Gooch speaking very highly of Ravinder Bopara, it is clear that Essex have talented players who might aspire to bigger things. We shall just have to wait and see.&quot;
</span>

sorry chaps but i really cant get a hold on cricket with so much going on at the home of good football. Still, got tickets at Lords for the visit of the bloody aussies, and am confident that Essex can do a shrimpers have have a great season.

See you after automatic promotion on this thread

Ended up on 327-4. I&#39;d imagine some quick runs will be needed tomorrow morning for a couple of hours ~ declare ~,(although its due to rain) and then try and bowl them out twice but the smart money is on a draw&#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ April 14 2005,21:36)]Ended up on 327-4. I&#39;d imagine some quick runs will be needed tomorrow morning for a couple of hours ~ declare ~,(although its due to rain) and then try and bowl them out twice but the smart money is on a draw&#33;
Well, the positives we can take from this game (if it does indeed end up a draw) that the batters seem to have started the season in a bit of form.... Lets hope they can continue...
cool.gif

Unless the captains agree a carve up (i.e. forfeit an innings and go for the result), then this will definitely be a draw - there have only been 15 overs of play today... it has clearly been a rainy old day in Chelmsford&#33;

Matt

A very eventful morning. We declared on 401-4 and off 20 overs Yorkshire are 53-4 and Tudor has already taken 2 wickets with Adams and Napier at one a piece. Can Essex really go onto win this?

smile.gif

Back